Official: River Rats sold, will move to Charlotte

thelastonealive

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not drawing that well, though. AHL says they're 3rd-worst in the league, just above Springfield and, of course, Lowell.

Springfield is only still an AHL market because the league offices are there. Its a dying rust-belt city that is being fled in droves by people with disposable income for either Eastern Mass or the Southern US. There is a very good hockey tradition and hockey population in the towns around Springfield, however, the Falcons have stunk with terrible affiliations since the Whalers left (Tampa, Phoenix, Edmonton) over the last decade. Plus the most entertaining hockey product in that area is now at UMass which draws 5K-8K depending on the opponent and if the students are in session.

I'm surprised more teams don't move their AHL teams closer.

Man, I know this is a total pipe dream, but the current capacity at Tsongas Arena is just under 6,500 and the current capacity of the largest rink at Mennen Arena in Morris Township is 2,500. I don't know how much they fill up in Massachusetts, but from what I read and hear, it can't be much. The main rink at Mennen could use a bit of an update from my experience of playing there; it's a rink that hasn't been updated since my uncle played high school hockey back in the 70's. A bit of an investment by the devils to upgrade the place (it has three rinks and other pro/semi-pro sports teams playing there), and seating for 4,000 would be awesome. The rink is within five minutes of Routes 24, 287, 202, 53, 10, ten minutes of Route 80 & 15 minutes of Route 78. Again, it's a total pipe dream, but it's in the heart of Morris, Essex, Union and Somerset Counties and I know that area could support the $10-$15 tickets afforded to an AHL team. Besides, how awesome would it be to have our prospects within 20 miles of the big club?

I still don't get how some folks can't look past their own selfish desires regarding moving the AHL club closer.

Let's been honest, this team is having a rough go supporting its own building.... yet some people still want to dilute the cash flow into the Rock with other options.

Again, I think one reason most NHL clubs keep their AHL clubs at a distance is it does gives the younger players the opportunity to have THEIR OWN fanbase and identity(albeit small), and to develop without the constant pressure and expectations of the NHL fanbase and surrounding media.

I (seriouslly and not sarcastically) am interested in hearing logic for moving the AHL club to NJ other than how cool it would be for those in NJ.

I don't buy that Lou wants to drive to yet another location in NJ, weekly or daily to watch players develop. If he can't trust his son to GM the baby devs....he wouldn't still be there.

Edited by DevilinLA

I still don't get how some folks can't look past their own selfish desires regarding moving the AHL club closer.

Let's been honest, this team is having a rough go supporting its own building.... yet some people still want to dilute the cash flow into the Rock with other options.

You seem to think big league and minor league clubs compete for the same dollars, and they don't. If they did, the seven (seven!) minor league baseball teams in New Jersey would have failed because there are three major league teams within driving distance of all of them.

People who go to minor league games are looking for something relatively cheap and local to kill some time. People who go to big league games plan and budget for it months in advance. Saying minor league teams compete for the same dollar as big league teams is like saying opening a movie theater will discourage people from going to the city for a big concert. Don't get bogged down by the fact that they're playing the same sport, the scale of the two events is incomparable. Going to see the AHL club five minutes from my house is not gonna give me my Brodeur/Parise/Elias fix, but for me it's better than spending that money at a bowling alley, local bar, pool hall, etc.

Trenton was doing fine until they changed the team name to something that most people in Trenton could never root for. Atlantic City failed because it's freakin' Atlantic City. Even their baseball team folded. A well-placed, well-managed team would do just fine in New Jersey. I mentioned Lakewood (even though it's already been shot down) because I'm confident it would have worked. The BlueClaws play across the street from where the arena would have gone and they break SAL attendance records every year.

Didn't the Phantoms draw well at the Spectrum? And, that was across the street from the Flyers.

Yep. And broadening it again to minor leagues in general, the Brooklyn Cyclones and Staten Island Yankees do pretty well even though they're both in New York City, which already has two major league teams.

Both literally and figuratively, they're just in a whole other league.

Yep. And broadening it again to minor leagues in general, the Brooklyn Cyclones and Staten Island Yankees do pretty well even though they're both in New York City, which already has two major league teams.

Both literally and figuratively, they're just in a whole other league.

It can effect the big club I won't spend money on the Bruins anymore ecept for Devils games. They priced me out so now I go to college and Lowell. The Flyers were able to have their farm team next door because they sold out pretty much every Flyers game. I think it would be bad for the Devils to have their team too close to Newark.

It is also hard to compair baseball and hockey since baseball is a MUCH more popular sport esspecially in NY.

Didn't the Phantoms draw well at the Spectrum? And, that was across the street from the Flyers.

Phily had 5 teams at the time (Flyers/Phantoms. Eagles, 76ers, Phillies)

the NYC area has: Giants, Jets, Mets, Yankees, Rangers, Devils, Islanders, the MLS team and whatever name it has this month, Knicks, Nets, Cyclones, SI Yankees, Newark Bears, Indoor Lacrosse and Soccer (I think)... this area is kinda saturated as IS, it doesn't really need nor would it benefit from another team in the area... it's kinda why I wish they'd move back to Albany, it's close enough, but yet far away enough to be out of the inner circle of congestion, but nearby enough it's easy to ferry prospects to and fro......

It can effect the big club I won't spend money on the Bruins anymore ecept for Devils games. They priced me out so now I go to college and Lowell. The Flyers were able to have their farm team next door because they sold out pretty much every Flyers game. I think it would be bad for the Devils to have their team too close to Newark.

It is also hard to compair baseball and hockey since baseball is a MUCH more popular sport esspecially in NY.

You're actually kinda supporting my claim. The Bruins priced you out, but you're not a Bruins fan. You're a Devils fan. The existence of cheaper minor league/college hockey alternatives nearby hasn't stopped you from going to see the Devils when they're in town.

And baseball is the only comparison since it actually has a minor league. It's definitely not a completely even comparison, but I'm not trying to make it one. I'm saying a NJ/NYC/Philly minor league-to-big league hockey ratio of 2:4 isn't so bad when baseball can sustain a ratio of 9:3. The point is that the people filling those nine minor league parks aren't necessarily picking between that and going to a major league game. They're probably choosing between taking the kids to a minor league game or a bowling alley, movie theater, Chuck E. Cheese, etc., or for the younger crowd they're choosing between going to a minor league game or a bar, the boardwalk, etc.

I still believe a team in Lakewood would have done well. But, again, it's ain't gonna happen so I guess I'm just wasting my time.

You're actually kinda supporting my claim. The Bruins priced you out, but you're not a Bruins fan. You're a Devils fan. The existence of cheaper minor league/college hockey alternatives nearby hasn't stopped you from going to see the Devils when they're in town.

And baseball is the only comparison since it actually has a minor league. It's definitely not a completely even comparison, but I'm not trying to make it one. I'm saying a NJ/NYC/Philly minor league-to-big league hockey ratio of 2:4 isn't so bad when baseball can sustain a ratio of 9:3. The point is that the people filling those nine minor league parks aren't necessarily picking between that and going to a major league game. They're probably choosing between taking the kids to a minor league game or a bowling alley, movie theater, Chuck E. Cheese, etc., or for the younger crowd they're choosing between going to a minor league game or a bar, the boardwalk, etc.

I still believe a team in Lakewood would have done well. But, again, it's ain't gonna happen so I guess I'm just wasting my time.

Yeah but I may not be a Bruins fan but I went to 12-15 games a year. NOw down to 2.

A question about Lowell. Does anyone know how long they have a lease signed for? I have been hearing rumbling about the new owners of the building wanting them out. This will most likely be their last year. Of course people have been saying that since the first year there.

Yeah but I may not be a Bruins fan but I went to 12-15 games a year. NOw down to 2.

A question about Lowell. Does anyone know how long they have a lease signed for? I have been hearing rumbling about the new owners of the building wanting them out. This will most likely be their last year. Of course people have been saying that since the first year there.

When they bought the team near the end of the 2005-06 season, they signed a 2-year lease with an option to extend for up to 2 more years. They extended it. This their 4th season in Lowell so, yeah, I think their lease is about to run out. Here's something more recent that explains the Devils' sweetheart deal -- I thought the rent was $125,000 but it's pretty sweet even at twice that.

Trenton has drawn less people than the year before every year of its existence.

Every. Year.

Initially you can point at some of the buzz wearing off. After that it was front office issues, then after they won the championship the owners turned off the spigot and axed the marketing, got a horrible coach and the team stunk. Then the Devils took over and ran the team into the ground. Yes, it's Flyer country and a lot of people bailed for that reason. It's no longer the reason. Now people are bailing because clearly no one gives a crap anymore; it's really sad the state of affairs.

ECHL/AHL/Devils/Flyers/Rangers doesn't matter - when an org is run the way the Trenton Devils are run you get what we've got: garbage. It has, at this point, gone far beyond the name on the sweater being a problem. Had they chosen to run it as a top flight organization, they may have gotten some of the people back. Right now I think the Devils have actually *cost* themselves some fans down here.

Very good points. This is why I was originally saying that a well-placed, well-run team would succeed.

Lou is the man and I'm as big a supporter of his as you'll find, but the guy needs to rethink his minor league strategy. Right now it's all "Let's get these guys to learn the system and start playing for the Devils logo on their chests," which is all well and good, but there needs to be some consideration for the marketing aspect of the teams too. Of course, when considering the organization's inability to market the greatest goaltender of all time on the big-league level, it isn't hard to imagine why they have failings on the minor league level.

When they bought the team near the end of the 2005-06 season, they signed a 2-year lease with an option to extend for up to 2 more years. They extended it. This their 4th season in Lowell so, yeah, I think their lease is about to run out. Here's something more recent that explains the Devils' sweetheart deal -- I thought the rent was $125,000 but it's pretty sweet even at twice that.

Thanks for the info. Looks like they are out after this season. Damn. Are you a season ticket hoder with Lowell? I had gotten the 4 games $40 pack. I have two more games left.

Very good points. This is why I was originally saying that a well-placed, well-run team would succeed.

Lou is the man and I'm as big a supporter of his as you'll find, but the guy needs to rethink his minor league strategy. Right now it's all "Let's get these guys to learn the system and start playing for the Devils logo on their chests," which is all well and good, but there needs to be some consideration for the marketing aspect of the teams too. Of course, when considering the organization's inability to market the greatest goaltender of all time on the big-league level, it isn't hard to imagine why they have failings on the minor league level.

Exactly. And I'm feeling this as a Devils fan; some of the folks still going to the games are local hockey fans more than Devils fans; they may root for the Rangers or Flyers and so are subject to the excuse that they hate the Devils anyway. But I've been a Devils fan since they stunk up the rink every year and had high hopes they'd actually do what they said they'd do and revitalize the franchise (which was on its way out of town if they didn't buy it). But they've completely hosed it; the guy doing the pa is just embarrasing and not even beer-league caliber. Foose was mentioned as an Anthem singer earlier in the thread; as late as last season he appeared here - not once this year, another loss for us.

Speaking of minor league movement & Philly's involvement in Trenton, it turns out they turned down the Titans' owners advances in the hope the franchise would go dark and leave the arena empty and waitng for the Phantoms when the Spectrum came down. They didn't anticipate the Devils buying in; yet another Philly miscalculation.

But any talk about "growing the fanbase" was just that as they didn't do much from the start and by this point you can just tell the effort is gone.

• 2 weeks later...

Hartford is going to Albany.

You might be right, but I don't think there's an official confirmation on it yet. The Albany Times Union said there's no official word and won't be until the ''end of the month'' because of ''an e-mail sent Wednesday night by officials for the unnamed team stating they wanted to firm up details of a potential move before signing the deal. ... They are still trying to make money and sell tickets (in their current city).''

Actually if they're trying to make money and sell tickets, that sounds like it's not the L-Devils. But they still might move closer to Newark.

PS -- over at the "other" boards... there's a rumor ;) ;) that, since the Rangers are losing their ECHL affiliate in Charlotte, they might be picking up a different affiliate...

Edited by Shtikl