N.F.L. Championship Weekend

CRASHER

.... the last real week of football until after Labor Day (be real the Super Bowl is a football game smashed into 5 billion commercials, some unnecessary rock show at halftime and a lifetime's worth of worthless pre-game shows... hell move the fvcking thing to a Saturday Already so people can go out and get drunk and not care the next day already, not that i get hung-over ... yes I'm bitter, cranky and annoyed... and it's not even about the Cowboys this time.... I'll get to that too... but hey I took over the NFL previews for NJDevs years ago... and when I do something and I make a promise to do something I FINISH THE JOB THROUGH AND KEEP MY COMMITMENTS TO A FINISH (man that's a shot that hits a LOT of people doesn't it?).... so anyway... playing out the string, maybe... but damned if I won't give it my all like I do with everything else in my life... no matter how unappreciated it may be :P

(I should also throw this out there now... cause it won't fit below.... I am an intense, passionate human being, and that passion and energy in life flows through my sports teams, and anything else that matters to me in my life.... this passion is good, it makes me dedicated... it's why I do all this sh!t, but it has a downside.... and this downside has come in heavily and been exploited the last few years... as someone who has this passion and lives and dies with this and feels like when you pick a team you're a fan of it's like a marriage and you stick with them for good, bad, up, down, left, right and sideways... (and at least unlike a marriage you usually get fvcked hard once a year if not more) ... and it's why the fake "Oh they're doing well let me go to the bar with the new Jets shirt I bought in modelll's" or the worse "Oh I'm a Giants fan but I'm rooting for NY to win"... WHAT??????? What kinda bullsh!t is THAT?? fvck that, the LAST thing a Giants fan should be doing is rooting for the Jets... EVER (well unless it was an NFC East opponent in the Super Bowl... then it's ok)... and yeah it gets me in trouble and it kills my chance to enjoy the games this weekend... but fvck it... I am what I am... and it's one more chance to explain the disgust I've had in the last week and 90% of it is not even Cowboys annoyance :P)

Sunday January 24:

Jets at Colts:

How they got there

..... well fitting enough these two teams' fate to this game are completely intertwined right?? I mean the Colts decided to lay down to rest their players to make sure they were healthy for this game (hey... it's a finger poke of DOOM wrestling reference... woot)... and well the Jets did make the most of beating the 2nd teams of the Bengals and the Colts... and then beat the Bengals first team exposing every weakness on them the whole way down.... then I still don't know what the hell happened in San Diego....perhaps Norv Turner got possessed by Marty Schottenheimer... I don't know... I really have NO answer for what the fvck happened to the Chargers last week... but they definitely let discipline fly out the window and couldn't smack back to reality the fast and loose Jet team... the Colts on the other hand were a little shaky, but it was a hand picked opponent for them in the Ravens who just don't match up with the Colts and they stepped on them......

How the Jets can win:

Take formula of all season.... NO NACHO NO... run the ball... play defense... get in Petyon's face and knock him down (it did make me sick to see Peyton pansy out and slide to eat the sack instead of taking the hit and firing the ball out of bounds... it's NOT football to me).... and run Thomas Jones and Shawn "Oh I wish I were Andy" Greene down their throats....

How the Colts can win:

... GET THE LEAD....take advantage of the match-up's, pretty much the same way anyone beats the Jets... slow down the run, make the Jets throw the ball... you know basically dictate the game and make them play the way you're built to play.... also convince Peyton it's still the regular season that tends to help... Peyton is not so good in post-season football....don't rely on the kicker, this has been the WORST year I can remember for field goal kickers (in fact I think it's SO bad now they need to do something to change it....), also keep the crowd in the game... crowd noise should be a much bigger factor in Indy then San Diego (well we all know Californians can't do much anything right when it comes to sports :P)

What will happen:

Well i don't know... I'll be playing hockey somewhere :P.... but I'm wondering is this the sports gods sparing me of seeing the Jets win?? Or is this them torturing me because the bandwagon is going to run face first into a wall??? Rex Ryan was on the Ravens team that was good but way flawed and the ride ended in this game last year... but you know what... I'm going with the sports gods hate me and the stain that has followed the Stanley Cup Finals to the point I stopped watching them is close to coming to football too.... so watch the Jets win a field goal type game just to throw me into a sports-pain coma tonight :P

Vikings at Saints:

How they got there:

Well they pretty much got here the same way...hot starts, balanced offense... late-season struggle, but got the perfect opponents for them in the playoffs and took advantage of the match-ups and rolled over lighter versions of themselves to be 8 quarters from the Super Bowl, the Saints have sick balance on offense and can beat you 8 ways to Sunday with the ball... while the Vikings have a dominant D-Line, a REALLY good O-line, a running game that should be better then it is.. and an old man douche-bag who's Ray Bourque-ing himself along for the right (and no I'll give Mark Messier credit for ANYTHING before I give Brett Favre a sniff of credit for anything at this point, I'm sure Devil fans understand the analogy)

How the Vikings can win:

In the trenches.... if Jared Allen runs amuck, it's gonna be hard for Drew Brees to find time and open receivers (and there will be open ones).... Percy Harvin is a key player too.. and they're gonna need him for if anything else he lets Rice get more open (and the Vikings didn't win when he wasn't in the lineup)... personally I'd like to call this karma for running the score up last week... so it serves them right :P.... maybe that Adrian Peterson guy can look like the best back in the league again (or does he only do that against the Lions now??)... it's the NFC title game, obviously either team can win...

How the Saints can win:

... Reggie Bush... he DOMINATED last week.... and his return skills can be an instant turn the tide factor in any game (even having to kick AWAY from him is a big deal and matters with shorter fields)....balance on offense... run the ball some... keep the pass rush offense... and be that Edge-level of opporunity taker on defense.... like they were last week... plus the Vikings were not a good road team this year.... take advantage.....

What will happen:

I kinda wanna go with the "sports gods hate me and don't want me to watch the Super Bowl with the Jets and Vikings playing :P"... but again this should be a battle... and an "over" kinda game.... but the Vikings road record IS bad... and I think Sean Peyton is smarter then Jason Garrett when it comes to blocking Jared Allen and I think the Saints have too many weapons... my head says Saints, but my heart says the sports Gods HATE me and lay the hammer on me here.... so I'll say CMON HEAD!!!!!!

I don't get why you think it's so wrong for a Giants fan to support the Jets? I know a couple of people who are doing just that because they have friends (me included) that root for the Jets.

Maybe it's easier for them to be magnanimous towards us than vice-versa because their history is better but it's not like Giants-Jets are a blood rivalry the way Devils/Islanders-Rangers are, or even Mets-Yankees since interleague started and the Yankees became a juggernaut again. They meet once every four years and rarely affect each other in the standings.

Of course there are the a-holes that can't stand all the attention we're finally getting (cough Francesa cough), or look down on us because we're playing in 'their' stadium but it comes with the territory. I never hate a team because of its fanbase per se since everyone has their bad apples, though there are some I wish misery on a lot more than others :evil:

At best the Giants are fourth on my root against list, behind the Pats, Fish (without Pennington) and Douchebag Favre and I don't even really root against them the way I did earlier in the decade when they had a lot of inflated egos like Strahan, Tiki, Shockey, etc.

Edited by Hasan4978

Aside from the Raven digs. Good summary. I agree with your predictions.

Side Note: Your passion is earnest and comes through every week not only in your predictions, but your responses to posters.

I for one appreciate you taking the time each and every week to provide football fodder for the rest of us.

Cheers Sir.

:rofl: Favre ends his season for the second time in three years on an INT...thank god, at least I can watch the Super Bowl without cringing.

The media will attack Favre, but he doesn't deserve all the blame, or even most of it. The fumbles were disgusting. AP can not be trusted. Then you have Harvin's fumble which set up an easy TD. Berrian had an atrocious fumble inside the Saints 10. The Saints are great at forcing turnovers, but some of those were just awful.

Then the playcalling once the Vikes got to the 35. Running it twice was too conservative. You have tons of time and don't make your kicker attempt a 50+ yarder. How about a 12 men in the huddle penalty? A disaster. And finally...even if Farve throws an incomplete pass there, we're talking about an old kicker kicking a 57-58 yarder. Favre should have ran the ball, but it's still going to be a 50+ yard kick.

It's funny...you just had a feeling Favre was throwing a pick on that drive somewhere.

Edited by devilsrule33

Oh you know that's coming, the way it came when Peyton lost an OT game to the Chargers without getting the ball.

The media will attack Favre, but he doesn't deserve all the blame, or even most of it.

Well if he's going to hog the credit and the attention for himself when things are going well and pad his stats by throwing TD's in blowout games, then he can take the heat for throwing a blind cross-field pass at the end of regulation when he had open field in front of him and could have crawled into makeable FG range, bad ankle or not (and you know we'll hear about THAT too :P).

I'm waiting with baited breath on the ESPN cry-fest that Favre never touched the ball in the OT cool.gif

Oh you know it's coming. And if it isn't the guys at ESPN, it'll be someone else -- I know Costas and Nantz must be chomping at the bit to jump all over it.

:rofl: Favre ends his season for the second time in three years on an INT...thank god, at least I can watch the Super Bowl without cringing.

I was waiting for the Playoff Brett Favre make his traditional playoff ending.

It's funny...you just had a feeling Favre was throwing a pick on that drive somewhere.

THAT is what the Media will echo.

Brett Fav-rah is out and all is well in the universe. That game was ridiculous though. Did the refs grease up the footballs or something? It's not like there was rain or snow to deal with, it was in a friggin dome! I don't think I've ever seen such a sloppy game.

Congrats to Jets fans. They had a hell of a playoff run and have a good looking future ahead of them. It's hard not to like Rex Ryan.

Should be a good Super Bowl. The two teams that stayed undefeated for so long get to duke it out. Usually teams like that suffer a bad playoff game, but this year we'll actually get the two best regular-season teams go at it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2009/news/story?id=4857006

Brett Favre's return for another season is "highly unlikely, but it has been an awesome year," the Minnesota Vikings quarterback told ESPN's Ed Werder after the Vikings' loss to the New Orleans Saints in the NFC Championship Game on Sunday.

Favre, who returned to the NFL from retirement with the goal of leading the Vikings to a championship, fell just short when his pass with seconds left in regulation was intercepted. The Saints won in overtime to advance to the franchise's first-ever Super Bowl.

The physical punishment Brett Favre absorbed during Sunday's NFC Championship left the veteran QB hurting late in the game.

Favre also told Werder before the game that not one Vikings player had inquired about his future because they were so focused on the game.

So in other words...lather, rinse, repeat.

A Favre-Manning matchup would've been legendary. But the Saints are a great story. Imagine if the game had been scheduled for New Orleans.

Maybe 10 years ago.

Right now the match-up is perfect: Two #1 seeds, two of the last undefeated teams, and the leagues two best QB's.

Farve would never have won a Superbowl without Reggie White.