Dion Phaneuf a D

Toby Flenderson: HR Rep

At his current price, he is a huge gamble. This lowers his asking price substantially but it will still be costly. I wish we could know what a season/off-season worth of work with JL, Stevens and Larry would do for him.

Regardless, even at his performance level today, he would instantly be the #2 or #3 defenseman on this team.

Do you think Martin's better than him? If not, he becomes the number 1 defenseman immediately. Still, the problem is that if you trade for Phaneuf, it makes giving Parise a long term deal that much more expensive.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Martin is a more solid defensive player than him, yes.

Phaneuf brings some of the other tools to the table (physicality, his shot, his size) but I'd trust Martin over DP in our own zone with 2:00 left in Game 7 of a playoff game when we're leading by 1.

I'm just not sure if he's worth the $6.5 million he makes, especially on this team. Our defense is pretty solid, as much as we bitch about it. Greene and Oduya are pretty capable offensively, even though Oduya is going through a rough time right now. Martin is also very good offensively and once he comes back he would provide a huge spark, both to his defensive partner and to the team overall. What do we have to gain by paying $6.5 million to Phaneuf? He is not an upgrade when it comes to defense, and any offensive upgrade he brings is easily nullified by the cap space he eats which could go to other players. I say no thanks.

phaneuf is not our future because he is already compensated at an outrageous price. he's the 8th highest paid defenseman in hockey. 'future' means 'cheap' - phaneuf ain't cheap.

Is that right? Is that it how it works? So when Parise gets his huge contract next summer he is no longer our future?

Phaneuf is a 24 year old 2 time all star. He would be a corner stone for this team for years and some of you wouldn't give up Oduya and Tedenby and some of you don't want him at all. Amazing.

By the way how is Tedenby and his 10 minutes of ice team doing in Sweden? I like what I read about Josefson but Tiny Tedenby makes me nervous. I smell bust.

I think Martin is a more solid defensive player than him, yes.

Phaneuf brings some of the other tools to the table (physicality, his shot, his size) but I'd trust Martin over DP in our own zone with 2:00 left in Game 7 of a playoff game when we're leading by 1.

What happened the last time the Devils had a 1 goal lead in Game 7 with 2:00 min to go and Martin on the ice?

The whole team sh!t the bed and sent Brent Sutter to Calgary where he could convince his brother to trade us Dion Phaneuf.

That wasn't all on Martin's shoulders. But you understand my point.

EDIT: On further review, inexplicably, Paul Martin was on the ice for exactly neither of those goals.

I still get nauseous watching that awful 80 seconds.

Edited by Risky

Is that right? Is that it how it works? So when Parise gets his huge contract next summer he is no longer our future?

no, he's our present. he has to live up to that contract - produce at or exceeding it. that is the problem with dion phaneuf - he is playing at a level below what he is paid. you don't win when you pay players more than they are worth.

Phaneuf is a 24 year old 2 time all star. He would be a corner stone for this team for years and some of you wouldn't give up Oduya and Tedenby and some of you don't want him at all. Amazing.

he's terrible in his own end and he's one of the highest paid players in hockey. i don't care if he's a former All-Star, he's playing at a sub All-Star level. andy greene has had a better year than dion phaneuf.

By the way how is Tedenby and his 10 minutes of ice team doing in Sweden? I like what I read about Josefson but Tiny Tedenby makes me nervous. I smell bust.

glad we have a scout from the devils posting on this board.

i have no clue, since paul martin has never played in that situation in his career.

Maybe not game 7 but Martin was the guy who turned the puck over in game 4 of that series which led to a Canes goal with .2 seconds left. That goal tied the series and the rest is history. I like Martin but let's not make him out to be some superstar.

no, he's our present. he has to live up to that contract - produce at or exceeding it. that is the problem with dion phaneuf - he is playing at a level below what he is paid. you don't win when you pay players more than they are worth.

he's terrible in his own end and he's one of the highest paid players in hockey. i don't care if he's a former All-Star, he's playing at a sub All-Star level. andy greene has had a better year than dion phaneuf.

glad we have a scout from the devils posting on this board.

I agree Phaneuf is having a tough season but that is why he is available. Buy low!!!! Triumph you must be horrible at the stock market.

While he isn't putting up the points that he has in the past he has been much better in his own end this season. I've talked to Flames fans that have told me that exact thing and that Regeher has been very bad and he is bringing the pairing down. That's coming from people who watch all 82 games and not some know it all with 40, 000,000 posts on a Devils messsage board. Might be time to get out of the house Tri.

Throwing Tedenby the 'bust' tag is kind of ridiculous at this point. He is 19. Veterans play more on European teams, and young players (especially ones who are ready to bolt to the US) are put on the lower lines.

Dion would be nice if he ever returns to form, but he has a 6.5 million dollar cap hit. If Parise gets 5 million a year when he hits free agency we have a 5th of the cap in 2 players, one of which may or may not be living up to it at that time.

Throwing Tedenby the 'bust' tag is kind of ridiculous at this point. He is 19. Veterans play more on European teams, and young players (especially ones who are ready to bolt to the US) are put on the lower lines.

Dion would be nice if he ever returns to form, but he has a 6.5 million dollar cap hit. If Parise gets 5 million a year when he hits free agency we have a 5th of the cap in 2 players, one of which may or may not be living up to it at that time.

Only a fool would consider Tedenby a "bust". As you stated he is 19 playing with European professionals and he has been playing at the senior level since he was 17, which speaks volumes.

I agree Phaneuf is having a tough season but that is why he is available. Buy low!!!! Triumph you must be horrible at the stock market.

While he isn't putting up the points that he has in the past he has been much better in his own end this season. I've talked to Flames fans that have told me that exact thing and that Regeher has been very bad and he is bringing the pairing down. That's coming from people who watch all 82 games and not some know it all with 40, 000,000 posts on a Devils messsage board. Might be time to get out of the house Tri.

well officerfarva, your stock market analogy is terrible, because there's an enormous sunk cost with phaneuf that could torpedo the entire franchise if he continues to play terrible. the devils already have two suspect contracts in zubrus and rolston which are probably only going to decline. adding another one means the devils could be looking at almost 15 million dollars in dead or near-dead money. only teams with salary cap room going forward (or teams that don't care) can afford to take on phaneuf's contract.

Any comparison of Andy Greene and Dion Phaneuf is beyond ridiculous.

I am very hesitant to say that Greene will fulfill our offensive needs going forward despite the bandwagon.

Neither he nor Oduya can get a shot on net consistently, none of our defense can.

DP is a risky move if made. He is skilled and if JL can make Greene better, he most certainly can help Phaneuf.

Its a calculated risk - a poker move. I don't think Lou bites, and I don't think we have anything to make the deal attractive.

Thinking Parise is ONLY going to make 5M/yr is also a joke. Come on, look at the comparable young stars.

consider it ridiculous all you like, but i think greene has had a better season than phaneuf so far this year, and GVT agrees with me - now i think GVT has its problems, but it shows that someone's agreeing with me. while IMO phaneuf is likely to be better going forward, he's got massive flaws that may prevent that.

I am very hesitant to say that Greene will fulfill our offensive needs going forward despite the bandwagon.

Neither he nor Oduya can get a shot on net consistently, none of our defense can.

DP is a risky move if made. He is skilled and if JL can make Greene better, he most certainly can help Phaneuf.

Its a calculated risk - a poker move. I don't think Lou bites, and I don't think we have anything to make the deal attractive.

for calgary it doesn't have to be particularly attractive - if phaneuf is doing this next year, calgary's holding the bag on this one, and it's a rather foul-smelling bag.

the phaneuf-martin comparison up the thread was an interesting one - i think phaneuf is your prototypical 'high event' player, martin 'low event' - phaneuf's going to create scoring chances, but give up a lot as well, martin's not going to create many but he's going to prevent them from happening. i don't think the devils need a guy like phaneuf with the way they play right now.

Thinking Parise is ONLY going to make 5M/yr is also a joke. Come on, look at the comparable young stars.

if lou gets creative with front-loading, $6M is a possibility.

I mentioned 5 million to point out that even in a best-case (yet impossible) scenario, it still makes little sense to add Phanuef.

well officerfarva, your stock market analogy is terrible, because there's an enormous sunk cost with phaneuf that could torpedo the entire franchise if he continues to play terrible. the devils already have two suspect contracts in zubrus and rolston which are probably only going to decline. adding another one means the devils could be looking at almost 15 million dollars in dead or near-dead money. only teams with salary cap room going forward (or teams that don't care) can afford to take on phaneuf's contract.

I didn't know we were making little nicknames for each other but I'll go with it. Well Captain Dingleberry, Phaneuf's play is far from terrible. What an exageration. He's 24 years old and he has all the phyiscal tools to be a top dman. If you include Oduya in the trade that's 3.5 mill going the other way. Rolston's 5 mill cap hit will be off the books when Parise hits UFA status and who knows if Martin will be back and at what price. You can't be afraid to improve the team.

I hate that Lou gave 5 mill a year for a 35 year old stiff in Rolston but he won't acquire a 24 year old top defenseman who makes slightly more.

I mentioned 5 million to point out that even in a best-case (yet impossible) scenario, it still makes little sense to add Phanuef.

It makes little sense? Ok. Brodeur is another year older and this is basically the same team that couldn't get out of the 1st round last year. Lou has to improve this team and I'm not talking about guys like Nic Havelid.

I didn't know we were making little nicknames for each other but I'll go with it. Well Captain Dingleberry, Phaneuf's play is far from terrible. What an exageration. He's 24 years old and he has all the phyiscal tools to be a top dman. If you include Oduya in the trade that's 3.5 mill going the other way. Rolston's 5 mill cap hit will be off the books when Parise hits UFA status and who knows if Martin will be back and at what price. You can't be afraid to improve the team.

I hate that Lou gave 5 mill a year for a 35 year old stiff in Rolston but he won't acquire a 24 year old top defenseman who makes slightly more.

Watch a Calgary game before you go out making a fool of yourself. Phaneuf has been playing piss poor since last season. If you watched a few of their games last year you would have known this. Phaneuf's best case scenerio at this point is Jovonovski and certainly not worth the money he is getting.

Watch a Calgary game before you go out making a fool of yourself. Phaneuf has been playing piss poor since last season. If you watched a few of their games last year you would have known this. Phaneuf's best case scenerio at this point is Jovonovski and certainly not worth the money he is getting.

I have watched a handful of Calgary games and have had no problem with Phaneuf's game. I've also talked to Flames fans that are more knowledgable than you that have told me about Phaneuf's game.

Speaking of a making a fool out of yourself...nice pic.

Edited by Toby Flenderson: HR Rep

I have watched a handful of Calgary games and have had no problem with Phaneuf's game. I've also talked to Flames fans that are more knowledgable than you that have told me about Phaneuf's game.

Speaking of a making a fool out of yourself...nice pic.

First off, congrats on trying to attack a photo of me 9 years ago. Your really getting your point across that way.

Second, no you haven't watched him play nor do you have any Calgary fans for friends. Stop with the BS.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

Dion Phaneuf stat pack:

SAOFF/60 - 23.5

SFOFF/60 - 24.0

SAON/60 - 28.8

SFON/60 - 27.5

While off the ice Calgary has a +.5 shot advantage

While on the ice Calgary has a 1.3 shot deficit

I'll add more as I get them.

His Corsi isn't too bad, he is still 37th among NHL defenders getting atleast 15 minutes per 60 minutes and atleast 20 games.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

First off, congrats on trying to attack a photo of me 9 years ago. Your really getting your point across that way.

Second, no you haven't watched him play nor do you have any Calgary fans for friends. Stop with the BS.

I apologize I'm sure you turned into Brad Pitt in that 9 year period.

You said I was a fool so I made a comment about that picture of you looking cool at a party or that pic of you at home alone on a Saturday playing Xbox...whichever it was.

I have Center Ice and I have watched my share of Flames games. I never said I had friends from Calgary. I said I talked to Flames fans about Phaneuf, it just happened to be on hockey messageboards.

I apologize I'm sure you turned into Brad Pitt in that 9 year period.

You said I was a fool so I made a comment about that picture of you looking cool at a party or that pic of you at home alone on a Saturday playing Xbox...whichever it was.

I have Center Ice and I have watched my share of Flames games. I never said I had friends from Calgary. I said I talked to Flames fans about Phaneuf, it just happened to be on hockey messageboards.

Once again, I think you are flat out a liar. I guess my 14 looks doesn't fall into your range, what 14 year old little boys do you find good looking? I suggest you check out the sex offender shuffle.