Rumor- Kovalchuk to Devils

adavid

eh, i think it's too much - the devils would have to be really high on other players in their system. here's the team next year if that trade comes to pass:

parise-zajac-langenbrunner

elias-zubrus-clarkson

rolston-?-zharkov

leblond-pelley-halischuk

salvador-greene

white-?

?-?

then in 2012:

parise-zajac-?

rolston-zubrus-elias

?-cormier-zharkov

leblond-pelley-halischuk

salvador-?

white-?

?-?

that's a lot of holes to fill. also that 2012 team will cost 39 million with 4 spots on defense and 2 spots on wing to fill.

I think definitely by at least 2012 you'll have the rookie contracts of Tedenby and/or Josefson in the lineup... Urbom, Corrente, Eckford...

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People have been saying the deal will be similar to Hossa.

Pits gave up Colby Armstrong, Erik Christensen, Angelo Esposito and a 2008 1st-Round Draft Pick. I think us giving up say Rolston/Zubrus/Oduya + Bergfors + Palmeri + 1st round would be comparable. I'd have to believe Lou would be looking for someone to come along with Kovalchuk. Out of all the trades he's made he always has someone come along on the deal.

I think definitely by at least 2012 you'll have the rookie contracts of Tedenby and/or Josefson in the lineup... Urbom, Corrente, Eckford...

you cannot assume that all of these players are going to make it in the NHL. tedenby has a ways to go to be a successful NHL player.

I was shocked to see this thread jump another 12 pages last I saw it. And even more shocked this rumor still has legs. It would be amazing if we got him but I really doubt it. I think push comes to shove Lou will have his limit and someone else will go over the top.

People have been saying the deal will be similar to Hossa.

Pits gave up Colby Armstrong, Erik Christensen, Angelo Esposito and a 2008 1st-Round Draft Pick. I think us giving up say Rolston/Zubrus/Oduya + Bergfors + Palmeri + 1st round would be comparable. I'd have to believe Lou would be looking for someone to come along with Kovalchuk. Out of all the trades he's made he always has someone come along on the deal.

Tobi Enstrom :pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:

FWIW, here's Spector's roundup of 10 sources talking about the Kovalchuk rumblings:

http://www.spectorshockey.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=928:the-kovalchuk-trade-watch-february-4-2010&catid=5:trade-rumors&Itemid=4

SPECTOR'S NOTE: So, that's the latest for this morning. In my opinion the Blackhawks, Flames, Bruins and Canucks aren't serious bidders, the Flyers and Rangers are limited by cap issues and fearful of overpaying for a rental player, while the Kings remain the most logical destination. One cannot rule out what the Devils might due but it would be an uncharacteristic move by Lamoriello to acquire such an expensive rental player. As for the magical mystery teams, let your imagination run wild.

I agree. The only team in this is probably the Kings. I can't see Lou throwing away the future for nothing.

I agree. The only team in this is probably the Kings. I can't see Lou throwing away the future for nothing.

that's right, that's why rick dudley was at last night's lowell-hartford game, checking out kings prospects.

while kovalchuk isn't the only player on the thrashers who may be available, he's certainly the most prominent.

It's really not Lou's style to trade away so much for a rental. I'd do it, but I don't think Lou will. And that's why he's the GM and I'm just a dude on the forum.

Exactly.

Unlikely: Lou pulls the trigger and completes a trade that actually works for us in terms of the salary cap and the future. Not sure what it would be, but if anyone could figure it out it's Lou.

Likely: Lou stands pat because the price is too high. Once again we're left with an economically viable and competitively adequate team, but no attention-grabbing headlines.

Either way, like others have said, this speculation is fun while it lasts.

If Lou wasn't serious about making a deal with Atlanta why would they be spending this time researching the Devils? We haven't heard about their GM's attending lots of other teams NHL and AHL games, right?

This doesn't mean a deal is a slam dunk but obviously there is a real possibility based on what's going on.

I like how Lou plays his cards though, He will always keep you guessing and he is usually doing the right thing for the team. So many people do not give Lou the credit he deserves.

If he pulls off this trade he will have looked well off into the future and its effect. But I agree this is not a Lou type of trade.

I think the chance of Lou getting Kovy is about 0, but I do have to admit it is pretty interesting that Atlanta has had a scout at our games for the past 3 days. The only way I see Lou pulling the trigger is if he gets some sort of commitment from Kovy that he will resign in the summer. I just don't see Lou giving up significant assets for a rental player.

OK, how's this for a conspiracy theory?

Lou told Waddell he could have Bergfors, Oduya and whoever he wants from Lowell. Waddell sends Dudley to the Lowell game. Lou whips up phantom "lower-body injuries" to keep Vasyunov and Eckford out of the lineup because those are the only two guys he doesn't wanna give up.

Wow, that's a stretch.

I think the chance of Lou getting Kovy is about 0, but I do have to admit it is pretty interesting that Atlanta has had a scout at our games for the past 3 days. The only way I see Lou pulling the trigger is if he gets some sort of commitment from Kovy that he will resign in the summer. I just don't see Lou giving up significant assets for a rental player.

The only way I see Lou doing it is if Kovalchuk comes with someone else, a useful player with a reasaonable contract that extends beyond this summer. I don't know enough about the Thrashers or their contracts to speculate who that might be, but think something along the lines of Dupuis going to Pittsburgh with Hossa.

Obviously this is a very UN-Lamoriello like deal. However, maybe he is finally sick of watching the team struggle to score goals and does not want to watch another first round exit with Marty at the helm? Time is ticking on the Brodeur Era and Lou KNOWS this. Hell, time may even be ticking in the LAMORIELLO era. This club has showed promise early and when we get healthy, with an extra piece or 2....we could make a serious, serious run at the 2010 STANLEY CUP. I also believe that Lou would not dish out the asking price for JUST a rental. If he trades for Kovie, I believe that Lou believes we have a good chance at retaining him beyond this season. Time will tell, but I hope this is all over soon. It is very nerve-wracking!

I doubt Lou would be offering our "future" for a rental. We have a good amount of up and coming wingers right now with a high trade value, and no room for them to develop... he's going to unload some of them at some point.

I don't think we would be in this position if we didn't have those injuries. Zharkov, Corrente, and others impressed a lot of people when they came up.

This trade may be a perfect storm for NJ. Other teams who would be in the hunt have cap problems, or they don't want to give up what Atlanta wants.

I think Lou is asking for another player to go along with this deal...maybe White (not colin).

Maybe he figures with an all-White defense, he'll attract more fans from South Jersey.

I still don't see this happening. Is Lou really willing to make ILYA KOVALCHUK the highest paid Devil in history? Above Marty? Above Elias? Above Parise? WE can't have two max salary guys on our team.

This has been nerves central here over Kovalchuk.

Two years ago Lou was so close to getting Marian Hossa from Atlanta and had the deal on the table, but then all of a sudden Pittsburgh came in and swooped away Hossa from Lou and the Devils.

This time around I believe Lou will get his man this time in Ilya Kovalchuk. I really believe Kovalchuk is coming to New Jersey and there has been a lot of good rumors and rumblings around the Prudential Center the last couple of days from people I have spoke too there. Lou knows the window of oppurtunity for Brodeur is closing and he realizes we have a good team this season that can win it all with the right piece here and there. Lou maybe hearing some of the players on this including Brodeur on going after Kovalchuk. If maybe Kovalchuk is only a rental and they give up players like Oduya, Bergfors, Palmieri and a #1 pick and the Devils go onto win their 4th SCC, it will have been well worth it. If that 4th SCC does not happen and Kovalchuk goes elsewhere in the off season then the Devils still have good young players in Lowell for the near future then to worry about losing Bergfors, Oduya and Palmieri in that trade.

So I am all for this in Lou going for it this season. This has been needed for sometime on this Devils team and haven't had this in over 5-years. Also Lou knows even when Paul martin comes back he has to go out and make a deal for a top defenseman that can QB the PP and play some defense infront of Brodeur.

I strongly feel the Devils will be the ones to get Kovalchuk by this weekend. Lou will not lose this time around. If he does, then it would be really disappointing.

Edited by SatansDevils

If Lou wasn't serious about making a deal with Atlanta why would they be spending this time researching the Devils? We haven't heard about their GM's attending lots of other teams NHL and AHL games, right?

This doesn't mean a deal is a slam dunk but obviously there is a real possibility based on what's going on.

Maybe Kovalchoke is a smokescreen and its actually for Todd White or Tobias Enstrom, which I think would be better acquisitions for us anyway (again depending on what we are giving up). I hope this is the case. Maybe the Kings get Kovlachoke and we are part of a three way deal.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.