Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
adavid

Rumor- Kovalchuk to Devils

1,088 posts in this topic

Was there any follow up on what Potvin said on his radio show?

Edited by The Facepainter

Was there any follow up on what Potvin said on his radio show?

He won't suck as much if we get Kovalchuk.

TG is saying some KHL team is reported to have offered Kovalchuk some monster contract with 3/4 of it promised upfront. I don't know anything about the KHL, but I see that all of their arenas are small (7000 - 11000 seat capacity), and they play far fewer games per season than the NHL. I'm just wondering, how can KHL teams afford to pay their players so much when they play fewer games with less capacity?

I'm just wondering, how can KHL teams afford to pay their players so much when they play fewer games with less capacity?

Russian mafia ;)

TG is saying some KHL team is reported to have offered Kovalchuk some monster contract with 3/4 of it promised upfront. I don't know anything about the KHL, but I see that all of their arenas are small (7000 - 11000 seat capacity), and they play far fewer games per season than the NHL. I'm just wondering, how can KHL teams afford to pay their players so much when they play fewer games with less capacity?

the teams that spend big money are owned by oil billionaires who don't care if their team makes money.

Edited by Triumph

KHL teams always try this, and have had success with only one bona fide NHL star that I know, Jagr, although even that's debatable. Some teams there are known to renege on payments to players, and I certainly wouldn't want anything to do with the Russian court system to enforce a contract with the local oligarch. The level of competition is nowhere near the NHL, plus, no matter what kind of money they're paying you, you still live in a country that for the large part is slightly above a third world country.

Man, I know I wouldn't want to have that. That's some mafia holding it over your head for the next decade.

it's not bias, it's ESPN's sh!tty hockey coverage, which probably consists of Barnaby and Melrose sitting in a break room playing NHL 10 all day, in between their 3 appearences a week.

:clap::haha2:

Post of the day, sir, post of the day.

the teams that spend big money are owned by oil billionaires who don't care if their team makes money.

Yea that's what I figured. Although still, $100 million is not exactly chump change, even to a billionaire. It just sort of boggles the mind that these people throw away so much money just to have their team win some championship without regard to whether they'll get it back or not. It's somewhat similar in European soccer, although at least in soccer there is a huge rabid fanbase that fills up hugh stadiums, which the KHL doesn't seem to have.

KHL teams always try this, and have had success with only one bona fide NHL star that I know, Jagr, although even that's debatable. Some teams there are known to renege on payments to players, and I certainly wouldn't want anything to do with the Russian court system to enforce a contract with the local oligarch. The level of competition is nowhere near the NHL, plus, no matter what kind of money they're paying you, you still live in a country that for the large part is slightly above a third world country.

Yep I have a friend who grew up in Russia and their legal system is basically a joke. One of his second cousins just got arrested for pimping ( :lol: ), not because it's wrong, but because he didn't give the officer enough bribe money. By not offering the money, it's like an affront to their system and he's getting prosecuted on that reason alone (obviously, with the pretense of pimping).

Well Potvin's either gonna be golden at the end of this or the dope who started one of the biggest internet spazzouts in history.

multiple people at hf have said espnews claimed kovalchuk has been traded and its a done deal. they never mentioned any team.

man espn covering hockey :puke:

ESPN? Aren't they still running the "Shanahan to announce team signing this week".

Happychuk.jpg

lulz.

This might be the best thing I've ever seen. Now if anyone here is good at photoshop put Kovy in a devils uniform :saddevil:

This might be the best thing I've ever seen. Now if anyone here is good at photoshop put Kovy in a devils uniform :saddevil:

kovy-3.jpg

Courtesy of HF....

WOW not bad. Hope it really happens haha even though i doubt it will.

Edited by skullsmasher

Even with all the rumors, what is the actual estimation of the odds of him coming here? I really think its a 1/50 at best.

Phil Esposito and Matt Laughlin just offered their two cents on XM's POWER PLAY:

PHIL:

"There is no way, zero chance of Kovy going to NJ. It would be extremely out of character for Louie Lams and go against his belief of giving up a boatload for a rental. He won't sign there because it would violate the unwritten law that no makes more than either Elias or Brodeur unless they EARN it in a Devils uniform."

MATT:

"Agreed. I can't see that as a possibility"

The only thing that's out of character is a big rental. We've traded for big players before (Gilmour, Mogilny) and we've sure traded for plenty of rentals but usually not a big player on the last year of his deal. Gilmour and Mogilny each had a year left.

So can we assume that even if the Kovalchuk deal falls through Lou is looking to do something big before the trade deadline?

Who do you think Lou goes after if this doesn't happen?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0