brickwall30

OFFICIAL!! Devils Trade for Kovalchuk

164 posts in this topic

I dont care what anyone makes their lines... but in no possible universe is Kovalchuk not on our first line. He should get the most minutes of any forward each and every game.

Everyone needs to get the notion of "first line" out of their heads. With Kovy now a Devil, we have 2 "first lines". Parise-Zajac-Langenbrunner and Kovy-Zubrus-Elias. Both will receive relatively equal playing time. Good luck for the opposition trying to match lines and sending out their top defensive pairing against our best players. We will not be stopped. A new era is upon us. Juggernaut status.

I love the addition of Kovy and would love to see him resign with the Devs at a reasonable price. I still would like to see Lou go out and make a slight upgrade on D now that Oduya is gone, unless Salmela turns out amazing then we're set.

Our 1st and 2nd lines would be completely destructive if Lemaire moves Elias to center, so destructive it wouldnt even be fair:

Parise-Zajac-Langenbrunner (we all know the chemistry between those 3)

Kovalchuk-Elias-Rolston (Rolly and Patty have chemistry, Kovy is just another target to pass to for Patty)

I would piss my pants in disbelief....

Nah...keep Elias away from center. These two lines are going to be one of the best two lines in the NHL.

Parise-Zajac-Langenbrunner

Elias-Zubrus-Kovalchuk

Now this makes my hair stand up all over my arms. Lol!

Zubrus is a type of player that needs TWO good scorers with him to be a threat at center. I said this earlier today about this and Zubrus did very well on the Z3 line with Parise and Zajac.

Would rather see ZZPops as Line 1 and then Kovy-Zubrus-Elias as 1A....

hell yeah! +1!

I usually dont care for trading promising players for 20-30ish game rentals, but this trade i love. The only psuedo-good assests the Devils gave up were Bergfors and a late first. My problem with Bergfors is he only consistently put up points on the Zajac Parise line, but then again, who wouldnt. The late first round pic, meh, could be another Zajac, or could be another Foster.

Perhaps my favorite part of the trade is the resulting descress (hopefully)in ice time of the Pando Nieds quote "shutdown" line.

great trade short term, but kovy turned down $10Mil per year, this may be a 5 month rental...

Aslong we the CUP comes home that OK w/ me!!!

Kovalchuk has all the money he got over the years in Atlanta. Why would he want to stay on a sh!t team for the rest of his career knowing he will never see and win a SCC with that team? By him coming to the Devils he has a shot to win the SCC this year and years to come as the Devils are always SC contenders every year. Also he knows the Devils make the playoffs every year. I believe Lou gives Kovalchuk a nice contract in the off season to stay here. Lou got him here and Lou will do what it takes to keep him here and it may not be as much as what Atlanta offered.

I will not be able to sleep tonight! Tomorrow night will be insane.

Would rather see ZZPops as Line 1 and then Kovy-Zubrus-Elias as 1A....

I agree, that's a crazy top two lines.

I started cackling like a madman at work when my brother texted me.

great trade short term, but kovy turned down $10Mil per year, this may be a 5 month rental...

Aslong we the CUP comes home that OK w/ me!!!

The money thing is being wrongfully over-blown. Kovalchuk wanted out of Atlanta. Period. I don't think he'll command that type of contract from us, or any other contending team.

I started cackling like a madman at work when my brother texted me.

I was actually dozing off in my chair with the Boston-Montreal game on... during the 1st intermission, I hear Kathryn Tappen (the Host of the Bruins pre and post-game shows and wife of former Devil Jay Leach :P ) say "According to Kevin Allen of USA Today, Ilya Kovalchuk has been traded to the New Jersey Devils". I spazzed up like someone tased me, rewound it to make sure I heard it right, and proceeded to let out a "YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS" that I'm fairly sure woke up my neighbor's infant. :lol:

I agree, that's a crazy top two lines.

Crazy is an understatement. This is a ridiculously potent and BALANCED top 2 lines. I am salivating about the possibilities. A+ for Lou here. He really outdid himself with this whopper of a deal!

kovy.jpg

Let the orders begin lol

Already ordered mine BC when the news broke. Lol! Cannot wait to get it.

Can't get enough of this deal. Season's looking brighter and brighter...

Love it. Way to go Lou. Too bad he couldn't make it Mottau instead of Johnny.

17 is my 3rd favorite number!

THIS IS FRIGGIN INSANE!!!! I LOVE IT!!! KOOL-AID FOR EVERYONE!!! We always say c'mon lou, well as always in the clutch lou delivered!!! GOD THIS IS GREAT!!!

I got a text at the rink that we landed Kovy and I was soooooooo nervous about what we gave up but seeing the return, I couldn't be happier. After 1.5 years of being a disaster, Oduya turned into a nice player but I didn't like his contract and regardless of Cormiers potential, that elbow really turned me off to him. Bergfors is a nice piece for Atlanta, but we are just so deep at wing that I don't think it matters short term or long term.

Love it. Way to go Lou. Too bad he couldn't make it Mottau instead of Johnny.

17 is my 3rd favorite number!

Who is that in your Avatar picture?

I think you are selling Atlanta short as a market. When the team was competitive they drew pretty well. However, season after season of mediocrity will kill attendance. Atlanta is suffering from losing fatigue. That has as much to do with Waddell as anyone else. Even after this trade I don't see a path to success for the team.

Based on what I've seen, I think there are some good fans there but how can a struggling franchise survive unless this deal turns out better than it looks? Lou robbed Waddell blind. The rationale for why the Thrash did it is understandable. Kovalchuk screwed them. So, he took what he thought was the best package. Oduya maybe needed a change due to the contract. Stick him on a revamped blueline that includes Enstrom, Bogosian, Kubina and Hainsey and that's not bad. Bergfors who knows. Cormier better pan out and overcome the lack of discipline. The Thrash boast some solid players up front (Peverley, Little, Antropov, Max, Armstrong) including cornerstone Evander Kane, who's going to be a big time player. But the goaltending is still a question mark.

For the Devils, it's a no-brainer. Nothing of substance was given up. Plus they get Martin back and Clarkson. Kovalchuk changes the dynamic. Maybe they just decided they'll outscore the Caps. Kinda weird for a team that prides itself on D which to be honest, is weakened. It's going to be weird to see Kovalchuk as a Devil because I can't picture a floater like him playing for Lemaire. How's that going to work? This is the same guy Chico trashed during a Devils' come from behind road win over Atlanta after he made no attempt in the neutral zone and McAmmond potted the winner. Even Mogilny knew where the defensive end was. And this deal is similar. There certainly should be a lot of incentive. Cup. Big contract. Are the Devils as comprised good enough to win it all?

lol Well i can't wait to do my roster update on NHL10 now hahaha