thefiestygoat

2010 Defending Champion New York Yankees Thread

413 posts in this topic

I friggin love it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb/news/story?id=5062881

BOSTON -- After going hitless for a second straight game Tuesday to start the season, Boston Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz lashed out at reporters when reminded that his struggles last April and May would be a hot topic if he was slow at the start of this season as well.

"Good," he said, turning to face the reporters encircling him. "You guys wait till [expletive] happens, then you can talk [expletive]. Two [expletive] games, and already you [expletives] are going crazy.

"What's up with that, man? [Expletive]. [Expletive] 160 games left. That's a [expletive]. One of you [expletives] got to go ahead and hit for me."

I friggin love it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb/news/story?id=5062881

BOSTON -- After going hitless for a second straight game Tuesday to start the season, Boston Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz lashed out at reporters when reminded that his struggles last April and May would be a hot topic if he was slow at the start of this season as well.

"Good," he said, turning to face the reporters encircling him. "You guys wait till [expletive] happens, then you can talk [expletive]. Two [expletive] games, and already you [expletives] are going crazy.

"What's up with that, man? [Expletive]. [Expletive] 160 games left. That's a [expletive]. One of you [expletives] got to go ahead and hit for me."

LOL That is great.

But seriously, I can't blame him for thinking that. I would be pissed too if a reporter was asking me that after TWO games in a ONE-HUNDRED SIXTY-TWO game season. That said, he could've worded it a little better obviously.

Unlike a certain hockey team which will remain nameless, the Yankees know what to do when they face a team they are clearly better than....beat them.

I saw this on a blog and thought it was interesting.

On average, the Yankees’ 2009 gate receipts for a seven game home series were greater than the Pirates’ gate receipts for the entire year.

http://itsaboutthemoney.net/archives/2010/04/18/the-ecret-to-our-uccess-2/

Unlike a certain hockey team which will remain nameless, the Yankees know what to do when they face a team they are clearly better than....beat them.

I saw this on a blog and thought it was interesting.

http://itsaboutthemoney.net/archives/2010/04/18/the-ecret-to-our-uccess-2/

Well, duh. One team is clearly committed to putting the best possible product on the field and using all of its resources to do so...even when that commitment doesn't culminate in a World Series championship, the on-field product is star-studded and entertaining to its fanbase. The other team doesn't spend and probably won't anytime soon, so until they're able to build a product from within that fans would actually want to see, things won't be changing in Pittsburgh anytime soon.

The Pirates may not spend on free agency, but I think they are under the right direction now with GM Neal Huntington. They spent a ton on the draft the past 2 years, and I think its safe to presume they will to do so again this year (they have the #2 overall pick too). They are building from within, and I think the results will begin to show in a few years.

Edited by nmigliore

The Pirates may not spend on free agency, but I think they are under the right direction now with GM Neal Huntington. They spent a ton on the draft the past 2 years, and I think its safe to presume they will to do so again this year (they have the #2 overall pick too). They are building from within, and I think the results will begin to show in a few years.

that catcher they took last year was supposed to be for signability but they spent on Alvarez and guys later in the draft. People were against Huntington last year for trading half his roster and saying he hurt the fans, but god forbid he actually traded a bunch of losers and got something for them. I know from the yankees he got ohlendorf who's actually pretty good now and gave up basically nothing in return except half a year of the X man and 3 good weeks of Demaso Marte

Speaking of Cervelli, is it just me or does his new batting helmet make him look like The Great Gazoo?

a9826d9ad805188ef8b8f2576f0e8547-getty-97609179jm027_texas_rangers.jpggazoo.jpg

Agreed, I'm pretty sure that's been his new nickname since he started wearing it. Sucks hockey ended the way it did but damn, am I glad to have the Yankees! Really the only big downside this season to me has been the Granderson injury which isn't that bad. I know people hate Vazquez but I still have faith in him. I've been meaning to learn more about the Pitch F/X data and try to see what that can tell me about his season so far but I've been too tired from work. If anyone else wants to take a stab at it that'd be sweet.

I think my three favorite things about this young season is the play of Cano, Gardner, and Hughes. Really enjoyable to watch those guys get off to hot starts and get some confidence.

I've been meaning to learn more about the Pitch F/X data and try to see what that can tell me about his season so far but I've been too tired from work. If anyone else wants to take a stab at it that'd be sweet.

I mostly focus on the Mets' pitchers pitch f/x, but I took a look at Vazquez for the hell of it (first the numbers, not the actual charts) and noticed right off the bat:

- His fastball velocity is down 2 mph.

- His pitch type percentages are a little different than last year -- decrease in using his 4-seam FB and slider while hes increased the use of his 2-seam FB, change-up, and curveball -- though bare in mind these are still sample sizes.

- Both the vertical and horizontal movement on his curveball, his out pitch, are down from last year.

As for the charts, here is a comparison (velocity and horizontal movement) from a start in 2009 and his last start (vs Chicago) this year:

vazquez.png

You can see that all of his offspeed pitches -- the slider, curveball, and change-up -- all lacked the consistency in horizontal movement and velocity compared to that start in 2009. Not a huge difference in the movement with the fastball, but the velocity really fluctuated in the 210 start.

Edited by nmigliore

Was at Saturday's game, pretty much seated where Tex belted his homer. Was all kinds of awesome to watch.

As an aside, Thames might be playing himself into a DH role when Granderson comes back and Posada is catching, since who knows when Johnson is coming back.

Last night's game was one of the reasons I love watching baseball. Especially Yankee-Red Sox games, since anything can happen and no lead is safe. In a way it reminded me of that July 1, 2004 game (Jeter catch, Cairo and Flaherty stepping up) that the Yankees won in extras since you just had that "feeling" they were going to come back and win. Fun times.

Granderson and Swisher can't get back soon enough...enough of Randy Winn's horrendous bat and Marcus Thames' horrendous defense...plus once he cools off at the plate like he should he'll just end up being a negative. Whose going to be the first to be DFA'd?

Uy vey. Thames and Winn make me appreciate Granderson and Swisher so much more.

Did I miss Swish getting DL'd?

And yeah, Winn is horrid. I'd love to give Thames the shot at DH when Posada is catching and Granderson comes back, especially since Nick Johnson is hurt.

And yeah, Winn is horrid. I'd love to give Thames the shot at DH when Posada is catching and Granderson comes back, especially since Nick Johnson is hurt.

He's not, at least I don't think he is. He has strained biceps and could play in the Tampa series, last I heard.

He's not and neither is Posada which has essentially given the Yankees a 1 man bench. I understand they don't want to lose these guys for a full 15 days, but having a 1 man bench due to injuries and the gazillion pitchers they have on the roster just isn't going to cut it.

Regarding the bullpen, I think Melancon deserves a legit shot to stick. He's been hyped, we know he can dominate the minors, it's time for him to take the next step. Hopefully Girardi gives him a fair shot this go around. I have faith in Roberston turning it around, hopefully that happens because playing baseball with no bench and a crazy bullpen isn't too fun.

He's not and neither is Posada which has essentially given the Yankees a 1 man bench. I understand they don't want to lose these guys for a full 15 days, but having a 1 man bench due to injuries and the gazillion pitchers they have on the roster just isn't going to cut it.

Regarding the bullpen, I think Melancon deserves a legit shot to stick. He's been hyped, we know he can dominate the minors, it's time for him to take the next step. Hopefully Girardi gives him a fair shot this go around. I have faith in Roberston turning it around, hopefully that happens because playing baseball with no bench and a crazy bullpen isn't too fun.

I don't know if you heard this as well, but Jorge is out 3-4 weeks. Excited to see how Jesus handles the bigs, even if it is a small sample size.

EDIT: Ew. It's Moeller, not Montero? Damn.

Edited by Martyisth3b3st

I don't know if you heard this as well, but Jorge is out 3-4 weeks. Excited to see how Jesus handles the bigs, even if it is a small sample size.

EDIT: Ew. It's Moeller, not Montero? Damn.

Yeh, I saw that when it was announced after last nights game. About time. Moeller is the smart choice. He has the experience and defense for the back up role. Montero has no experience (only 34 games in AAA), his defense isn't up to par for the majors, and he's struggled so far this year in Scranton with a .689 OPS. Leaving Montero and Romine where they are is the best choice.

Russo came up HUGE. 2-3, 2 RBI.

Vasquez was filthy tonight, too bad he popped a blister on that bunt. Time to start praying for the bullpen to actually hold the lead. :pray:

Solid night by Vazquez and Joba. Awesome job by Russo to step up. Granderson went to Scranton to begin his rehab stint and best case will be back next week. Great night all the way around.

Hopefully this is the start of Vazquez returning to his former self...