thefiestygoat

2010 Defending Champion New York Yankees Thread

413 posts in this topic

As soon as I saw that, I thought to myself; Great, now I have to hear it from Mets fans about how classless Yankee fans are. Sure enough, I got about 3 of my friends who are Mets fans laughing about it.

That guy was such a total jackass. I really wish Kim would have slapped him... I was watching it live and it was one of the few times I actually thought Michael Kay said the right stuff. The guy who did it is a classless thug, as is the weirdo who ran down just to get on TV. Get a fvckin life.

That wasn't a waste of my saturday or anything.

just when you think they're getting back on track, they play a decent team and crap the bed. I don't know what to make of this team. I mean Vazquez embodies the team. He's either great or awful no 6 innings, 3 runs. It's either a shutout or getting bombed. (plus when you look at what Vizcaino is doing in the braves system right now, we got robbed, unless we get the draft picks for him after the season)

With their first pick in the 2010 Draft the Yankees select SS Cito Culver from Irondequit HS in Rochester, NY. I know nothing about him but I'm going to look up whatever scouting reports I can find.

Random Stuff on Culver:

Baseball American ranked him 168th Overall

From River Ave Blues Live Blog:

"Hidden away in upstate New York—hardly a baseball hotbed—Culver sticks out like a sore thumb. He is the rare Northeast prep product with a legitimate chance to play shortstop in the major leagues. Culver's best tool is his arm, which rates as a 65 on the 20-80 scouting scale. Some scouts report seeing him up to 94 mph off the mound, but he has no interest in pitching. The game comes easily to Culver, whose actions, instincts and range are all plus at times, though he has a long way to go to become a consistent defender, and some believe he profiles as a utility player down the road. The 6-foot-2, 175-pound Culver is a solid-average runner and a switch-hitter with a loose, whippy swing from both sides of the plate. He projects to have below-average power and is mostly a slap hitter, but he does generate good bat speed and could be an average hitter as he gets stronger."

Scouting Video (Though it is him as a RHP)

Baseball Beginnings:

"Cito Culver would profile as a fast middle infielder with a plus arm, two tools that will play if his offensive development continues.

The first thing you would notice about Culver is that his athletic actions jump off the field. Listed at 6-1, 167 he’s got a modest build on which the strength is still filling in. The quickness jumps out, both in his hands and his footwork. It also plays in his running speed and he has a fast first step.

The next tool would be his arm. On the mound, he was 90-91, which really isn’t bad for a guy with that kind of frame. What you didn’t see with Culver was a lot of physical projection for height, which would make his future as a right-handed pitcher pretty nominal.

He was very new to hitting with wood when I saw him and he didn’t have the strength. But all this guy would have to do is learn how to slap the ball and put it on the ground and he can run you .300 and have the arm and range for 2B, SS and 3B."

Edited by thefiestygoat

just when you think they're getting back on track, they play a decent team and crap the bed. I don't know what to make of this team. I mean Vazquez embodies the team. He's either great or awful no 6 innings, 3 runs. It's either a shutout or getting bombed. (plus when you look at what Vizcaino is doing in the braves system right now, we got robbed, unless we get the draft picks for him after the season)

I think that's quite a stretch. It's not like we got shelled in the series, and it's not like the Jays are trash. We lost the first one pretty good, but the second one was about as close as they come, and we were bound to win the third. Tex isn't going to keep hitting like this, A-Rod will find his power, and Jorge will finally be back in the swing of things. However, I wish we would move some pieces around in the lineup- something like:

Jeter

Swisher

Cano

A-Rod

Tex

Posada (DH)

Granderson

Cervelli

Gardner

Regardless, I think the Yankees will allow Tex to use the next two series' against the AAAA team and the Astros to work things out. If he can't find his swing against them, it's time to get really concerned.

I think that's quite a stretch. It's not like we got shelled in the series, and it's not like the Jays are trash. We lost the first one pretty good, but the second one was about as close as they come, and we were bound to win the third. Tex isn't going to keep hitting like this, A-Rod will find his power, and Jorge will finally be back in the swing of things. However, I wish we would move some pieces around in the lineup- something like:

Jeter

Swisher

Cano

A-Rod

Tex

Posada (DH)

Granderson

Cervelli

Gardner

Regardless, I think the Yankees will allow Tex to use the next two series' against the AAAA team and the Astros to work things out. If he can't find his swing against them, it's time to get really concerned.

Cano doesn't take enough pitches to be a #3 hitter. The 5 spot is good for him right now. I like this:

Jeter

Granderson

Teixeira

Rodriguez

Cano

Posada (DH)

Swisher

Cervelli

Gardner

Not to invade on you guys, but I really wouldn't worry about Teixeira's batting average; his line-drive rate is right near his career norm yet his BABIP is only .239; that's pretty much a big heap of unluckiness. He'll come around.

Not to invade on you guys, but I really wouldn't worry about Teixeira's batting average; his line-drive rate is right near his career norm yet his BABIP is only .239; that's pretty much a big heap of unluckiness. He'll come around.

I think he will too. The shift seems to be taking away a lot of hits this year so far. I haven't done any research but I would speculate that he has been better RH (no shift) than LH thus far.

Cano doesn't take enough pitches to be a #3 hitter. The 5 spot is good for him right now. I like this:

Jeter

Granderson

Teixeira

Rodriguez

Cano

Posada (DH)

Swisher

Cervelli

Gardner

Even still with Robbie, he's got the highest OBP on the team (even though it's just bc of his average. I could see him at 3 or 4 on a different team just because of how good he is at driving them in (last year not included)

It's only June but it's nice to be back in first place (tie). Hopefully they can get ahead of Tampa and ride it out, I hate the Rays.

It's only June but it's nice to be back in first place (tie). Hopefully they can get ahead of Tampa and ride it out, I hate the Rays.

As long as we make it and the Sawx don't, I'll be fine no matter what place we're in. Really it seems to be just us and whoever else gets into the playoffs from the East for the pennant

And people kid themselves and say the Yankees don't need another bat. Production from anyone besides Cano has been inconsistant at best.

Also, I hate Jeter leading off. It seems like every game he has 2 or 3 singles without anyone on. It worked last year because we had a consistant #2 in Damon, something we've seriously seriously missed this year.

You know the phrase "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"? Someone g'head and explain to me how this years' team is as good as last years.

Nick Johnson > Johnny Damon ; Thames/Winn > Hinske/Matsui? Fail.

You know the phrase "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"? Someone g'head and explain to me how this years' team is as good as last years.

You're right it's not nearly as good, but it doesn't have to be. It just has to be better than all the other teams this year, and, right now at least, it is.

And people kid themselves and say the Yankees don't need another bat. Production from anyone besides Cano has been inconsistant at best.

Also, I hate Jeter leading off. It seems like every game he has 2 or 3 singles without anyone on. It worked last year because we had a consistant #2 in Damon, something we've seriously seriously missed this year.

Nick Johnson > Johnny Damon ; Thames/Winn > Hinske/Matsui? Fail.

That's his job you do realize that right? Typically the #1 and #2 spots in a lineup are supposed to get on base. Then it is up to the #3 and #4 guys to drive them in. They are not RBI guys they are get on base guys.

That's his job you do realize that right? Typically the #1 and #2 spots in a lineup are supposed to get on base. Then it is up to the #3 and #4 guys to drive them in. They are not RBI guys they are get on base guys.

You're misreading my sentiments. With the team doing this horribly at hitting with RISP, wouldn't we be better served to have Jeter batting second where the probability of him hitting with a man on is slightly greater?

You're misreading my sentiments. With the team doing this horribly at hitting with RISP, wouldn't we be better served to have Jeter batting second where the probability of him hitting with a man on is slightly greater?

The benefits would be minimal at best. Whether Jeter is batting first or second it doesn't make a difference. At most you are really only looking at 1st and 2nd 95% of the time if the first two get on anyway. It is still up to Teixara and Arod to score them.

Any confidence I've ever had in AJ Burnett has fully been erased. 3 home runs in the first inning against the worst team in the NL? Wonderful.

Any confidence I've ever had in AJ Burnett has fully been erased. 3 home runs in the first inning against the worst team in the NL? Wonderful.

The Diamondbacks have one of the best lineups in the NL; they are tied for the NL lead in homeruns and are 3rd in wOBA. Its their pitching -- their bullpen in particular -- that makes them so bad.

Edited by nmigliore

The Diamondbacks have one of the best lineups in the NL; they are tied for the NL lead in homeruns and are 3rd in wOBA. Its their pitching -- their bullpen in particular -- that makes them so bad.

But still, AJ's clearly the 5th pitcher right now. He started off Cy Young worthy and somehow has dropped below Vazquez, who's been quite good lately.

And did anyone read the thing on SI.com about Cano? Interesting stuff with long. Apparently there's also supposed to be a big feature in the magazine about him this week.

Robbie and Kevin Long

Mariano last night...OMG. Loading up the bases and then just basically deciding nobody was scoring and in his 2nd inning no less. Unreal...

Mariano last night...OMG. Loading up the bases and then just basically deciding nobody was scoring and in his 2nd inning no less. Unreal...

That game was ugly as hell but ended awesome. Crazy night but it was awesome to see C-Grand with the go ahead home run, Mo bat, and get out of that huge jam. Talk about winning a game you shouldn't have.