thefiestygoat

2010 Defending Champion New York Yankees Thread

413 posts in this topic

That game was ugly as hell but ended awesome. Crazy night but it was awesome to see C-Grand with the go ahead home run, Mo bat, and get out of that huge jam. Talk about winning a game you shouldn't have.

hey man, a win's a win. As long as we pick up a game on TB/Bos, it's fine with me.

And I don't know about anyone else, but with US soccer and Joe Torre vs. NYY and the NHL draft, this is going to be a great weekend (except for the lack of a 1st round pick :koolaid: )

I don't know how you can say this team isn't better than last year's team so far.

On June 26, 2009 we were 41-32, 4 games behind Boston 406 RS 358 RA

On June 26, 2010 we are 46, 27 2.5 games ahead of Tampa...397 RS 294 RA

So the offense is more or less comparable but the pitching? Loads better. We had a revolving door at 5th starter last year. Look at some of the dreck we gave the ball to. This year? It has been great except for Bad AJ making too many appearances lately.

Yes, another bat would be useful. So would another bullpen arm. This team is not perfect.

Of course, adding a bat only makes sense if you are committed to Posada as your every day C. Giving up a lot for a guy who will DH 3 or 4 days a week is not worth it.

Regardless of last year compared to this year I'd like to see the Burnett issue addressed... a move to the bullpen, less pitches, something because this bullsh!t of giving up a minimum of 5 runs a game has got to stop.

Well at least we know Burnett has balls...in all seriousness though he is in an extended stretch of bad AJ...I'm confident he will turn it around, my only worry is you never know which side you're going to get in the post-season.

If I look for terrible or awful in the dictionary, do I find AJ? I've never seen a guy start out Cy Young worthy and then turn into the worst pitcher on the staff and one of the worst in the majors. btw, it feels like this game's been on for 6 hours...and we're in the fifth inning

I haven't seen a game this poorly managed in my entire life. He leaves AJ in after 3 of the worst innings of pitching I've seen in my life, and then pinch-hits Posada (who is absolute atrocious) for Granderson? So, Joe, now we have a picher batting second the rest of the game... just so you could put in the streakiest hitter in the game?

Oh yeah, and AJ Burnett sucks donkey cock.

I haven't seen a game this poorly managed in my entire life. He leaves AJ in after 3 of the worst innings of pitching I've seen in my life, and then pinch-hits Posada (who is absolute atrocious) for Granderson? So, Joe, now we have a picher batting second the rest of the game... just so you could put in the streakiest hitter in the game?

It was a pretty big moment in the game and Granderson is flat out terrible vs LHP. I'm not sure why you say Posada is "absolute atrocious" when he has the 2nd best wOBA on the Yankees; would you rather have him pinch hit with Huffman, Russo, or Pena instead?

It was a pretty big moment in the game and Granderson is flat out terrible vs LHP. I'm not sure why you say Posada is "absolute atrocious" when he has the 2nd best wOBA on the Yankees; would you rather have him pinch hit with Huffman, Russo, or Pena instead?

No, I'd rather not have him pinch hit our only other catcher on staff eliminating a very solid hitter for the rest of the game and rendering the second slot in our lineup totally and completely useless for at LEAST 2 more at-bats, probably 3. And do you know what other moment in the game was pretty big? When AJ Burnett went 3IP and gave up 5ER and Joe had the chance to put in Boone Logan before the sh!t hit the fan.

No, I'd rather not have him pinch hit our only other catcher on staff eliminating a very solid hitter for the rest of the game and rendering the second slot in our lineup totally and completely useless for at LEAST 2 more at-bats, probably 3.

Granderson is like an automatic out vs lefties (Kuo is very good in general, and hes even better against lefties) while Posada has been the 2nd best hitter for the Yankees this year and has crushed lefties (granted its like a ~50 AB sample size). With him being the tying run at the plate, you at least have a better shot at hitting a game-tying HR or extending the inning. Its a bit of a gamble if you care that much about the 2nd catcher stuff, but as an outside/neutral observer, I thought it was worth it, especially since a chance like that might not come up again; Kuo has been great and Broxton has been the best reliever/closer in baseball this year.

Also, 2-3 at bats? Huh? The Yankees' 2-hole hitter is only going to bat like 1 more time unless they tie it up.

Edit: And 2 innings later, its now 9-4. So barring a big Yankees' rally, they aren't going to get a spot bigger than the one they had in the 6th, which really just makes the Posada decision look smarter.

Edited by nmigliore

coming back against the dodgers...beat Torre for chrissakes

Whadda ya know Robbie Cano! Now we just have to close it out!

Whadda ya know Robbie Cano! Now we just have to close it out!

It's a Ribby for Robby!

EDIT: P.S. Post #1000 !

Edited by nyrsuck26

Groxton has been the best reliever/closer in baseball this year.

The best reliever/closer in baseball got the win last night.

The best reliever/closer in baseball got the win last night.

Yeah I'd admit that's accurate.

I was making a judgment solely based off of this year's stats, and Broxton has been the best so far. Even with last night's debacle his numbers are still amazing: 13.10 K/9, 1.87 BB/9, 0.93 FIP (thanks to allowing 0 homeruns), 1.95 xFIP (because he isn't going to sustain a 0 HR-rate).

For comparisons sake, only Marmol and Wagner have higher strikeout rates and Broxton's FIP and xFIP lead all relievers in baseball so far this year.

Edited by nmigliore

Yeah I'd admit that's accurate.

I was making a judgment solely based off of this year's stats, and Broxton has been the best so far. Even with last night's debacle his numbers are still amazing: 13.10 K/9, 1.87 BB/9, 0.93 FIP (thanks to allowing 0 homeruns), 1.95 xFIP (because he isn't going to sustain a 0 HR-rate).

For comparisons sake, only Marmol and Wagner have higher strikeout rates and Broxton's FIP and xFIP lead all relievers in baseball so far this year.

didn't broxton fall apart last year in the playoffs? I wonder if he'll turn out like Trevor Hoffman: great in the regular season but just awful when it matters at all. And I don't care what the stats say, I'll take Mo anyway even if Broxton blew him away

well the offense broke out today, for at least one inning :boogie:

Finally, Robertson was able to get out of a inning. With a strikeout, no less!

Marcus Thames is our new king of the walkoff...Melky, you've been adequately replaced

Lol, it's only been two games he's won on walkoffs.

Nice to see Tex starting to hit. Still waiting for Arod to come around.

Mike

Mike

hey that's 2 more than anyone else :whistling:

Mike

So you ask and so you shall receive. Two home runs tonight.