New COACH THREAD!

HellOnICE

why the renney love btw? can you elaborate?

For me, I was impressed how he got a rag-tag bunch of AHL quality players and essestianlly rejuventated a depleted Jamomir Jagr into making the playoffs a few years, until Sather went back to his meddling ways and screwed the chemistry with silly UFA's.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, I don't think Larry comes back in a HC capacity. I am intrigued about Renney, who turned the AHL quality Rangers into a playoff team.

Would love Renney, with Stevens and Robinson as Assistants.

Kovy is gone, lets not waste time on him.

I don't know. If Lou can work some magic and move Rolston somehow(a la Sather dumping Gomez on Gainey), then I'd put us as a favorite to get Kovy, especially if he approves of a coach. But I think no Rolston move to clear up cap space = no Kovy.

But as far as coaches go, I wouldn't mind seeing Renney, either. I think he can do some good. I think I just really want to see Stevens as an assistant.

I'm guessing it will take forever for Lou to announce a new coach. It's almost impossible to tell how a team will respond to a particular coach but I'm hoping for one who is a little more offensively minded. If we are losing in the first round anyway it might as well be "exciting" hockey we are watching.

I'm going to go with Johnny MacLean - for exactly what we've all been saying. It's his due time to show what he can do on this level. I'd like to see him with Stevens on the bench. I'm not too in love with Albelin, not sure why - just not. Maybe it's his laid back personality. However in cases, it seems JOhnny Mac is a lot more aggressive personality than JL was - so maybe MacLean/Albelin could work.

Could be MacLean to finally get a chance or Lou could grab one of the assistant coaches from one of the western teams like Phoenix, Colorado, San Jose, Vancouver etc. Stevens could be another or at least an assistant coach. It will be interesting to see who Lou goes for and type of coach. Renney would not be a bad choice.

Haviland - he would bring young energy and wouldn't be just a re-tread or just more of the same. McClean would be just that.

Haviland is a guy that builds his team from the cage out so thinking that he's more offensive minded that defensive minded is incorrect.

If he or another young guy from outside the org got the call it would hopefully symbolize that Lou's starting to realize he needs to not dictate anything and everything from top to bottom., The team desperately needs an infusion of new blood and energy.