10 Reasons To Keep Kovy

Neb00rs

I can't get into the specifics of what will happen this offseason because I feel that it is useless...there are so many things that can happen. But here are two things I believe WILL happen are: J Mac will be named head coach and Kovy will be signed long term for 8 million a year. (I don't think it will be 7.5, he will get 8, but not the 8.5 he was gonna get from ATL). I am posting this to state by full support for a Kovy signing. I am indeed biased as my lifetime collection of Kovy jersey's will show, but nonetheless here are my top reasons for resigning Kovy:

10. He is a superstar goal scorer - Tired of 200 goals a season? The Devils need this, for once it's time we got a player of his caliber - also if you note my post in Kovalchuk to KHL, every Stanley Cup winner post lockout has had a player in the top 11 in scoring, with at least 43 goals. (The exception to the 43 goals being Pitt, and they had 2 players in the top 3 in scoring the year they won).

9. Presence - Kovy's presence makes the players around him excited and want to play better - am I the only one who thinks Zubrus's improved play is a result of Kovy showing up? Zubrus just seemed inspired after the trade.

8. He has a great attitude. - He doesn't care about his stats. He just wants to win and be a good teammate, whatever it takes. He even gave Rolston an undeserved free goal this year.

7. Flashes of Brilliance - No he didn't fit in with the other players perfectly this year. But didn't anyone notice moments that displayed that given the right amount of time and coaching he could be great with guys like Zubrus and Elias?

6. Why get a center? - Keeping kovy gives us a reason to go out and get a top center like Koivu. Zajac will play with Parise no matter what (most likely). So why go out and get another good center if we don't have a goal scorer for him? (Elias is a playmaker, not a goal-scorer.) The point is: If we keep Kovy we have something to build on and we know exectly what parts we need to add.

5. He's exciting - I don't know about you but Kovy really amped up my excitement about going to Devils games. I'm always excited before a game but with a big-time playmaker like Kovy I was excited to see every moment of the game. I think Kovy can really reinvigorate the fanbase as he is someone we can really get behind.

4. Want a better powerplay? - Ok so with Lemaire's strategy and shuffling our PP didn't work out this year. But it's never that good. If you want a better PP it's not smart to trade away a player that's as good as it gets on the PP. Again with time and coaching the Devils can form a highly successful PP around Kovy. Trade him away and we are missing a tool once again.

3. Desire To Win - What better to get a team to win than a player who wants nothing more than to win. Kovy always has a high intensity level and always keeps it going. He is also hungry. He has never won anything. On one hand you could say he doesn't know how to win. I say, "It makes him hungrier and gives him something to fight for."

2. Kovy the Good Guy - Before he came to NJ he came off as cocky with all his post-goal taunting and uncontrolled post-game interviews. But as soon as he got here it was clear he was a really nice and down to earth guy that all the players got along with. Especially, Elias seemed to be particularly fond of Kovy. It doesn't get better thaan having a superstar that the rest of the team wants to do well.

1. Kovy owes NJ a Cup and NJ owes Kovy a Cup - Bring him back because we have unfinished business! We gave away young players and a first round draft pick to get Kovy. We expected him to be the missing piece that gets this team back to the finals. We gave away a lot and didn't get much return - HE OWES US A CUP AND I WANT MY CUP! Also Kovy turned down the chance to finish his career as a Thrasher in legendary fashion and the chance to make crazy money to come to a winning team. Well, we didn't win. We didn't show Kovy what NJ hockey is all about. This team owes Kovy a Cup.

Ok I'm done and ready to be torn apart...hit me!

Edited by ben00rs

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't get into the specifics of what will happen this offseason because I feel that it is useless...there are so many things that can happen. But here are two things I believe WILL happen are: J Mac will be named head coach and Kovy will be signed long term for 8 million a year. (I don't think it will be 7.5, he will get 8, but not the 8.5 he was gonna get from ATL). I am posting this to state by full support for a Kovy signing. I am indeed biased as my lifetime collection of Kovy jersey's will show, but nonetheless here are my top reasons for resigning Kovy:

10. He is a superstar goal scorer - Tired of 200 goals a season? The Devils need this, for once it's time we got a player of his caliber - also if you note my post in Kovalchuk to KHL, every Stanley Cup winner post lockout has had a player in the top 11 in scoring, with at least 43 goals. (The exception to the 43 goals being Pitt, and they had 2 players in the top 3 in scoring the year they won).

9. Presence - Kovy's presence makes the players around him excited and want to play better - am I the only one who thinks Zubrus's improved play is a result of Kovy showing up? Zubrus just seemed inspired after the trade.

8. He has a great attitude. - He doesn't care about his stats. He just wants to win and be a good teammate, whatever it takes. He even gave Rolston an undeserved free goal this year.

7. Flashes of Brilliance - No he didn't fit in with the other players perfectly this year. But didn't anyone notice moments that displayed that given the right amount of time and coaching he could be great with guys like Zubrus and Elias?

6. Why get a center? - Keeping kovy gives us a reason to go out and get a top center like Koivu. Zajac will play with Parise no matter what (most likely). So why go out and get another good center if we don't have a goal scorer for him? (Elias is a playmaker, not a goal-scorer.) The point is: If we keep Kovy we have something to build on and we know exectly what parts we need to add.

5. He's exciting - I don't know about you but Kovy really amped up my excitement about going to Devils games. I'm always excited before a game but with a big-time playmaker like Kovy I was excited to see every moment of the game. I think Kovy can really reinvigorate the fanbase as he is someone we can really get behind.

4. Want a better powerplay? - Ok so with Lemaire's strategy and shuffling our PP didn't work out this year. But it's never that good. If you want a better PP it's not smart to trade away a player that's as good as it gets on the PP. Again with time and coaching the Devils can form a highly successful PP around Kovy. Trade him away and we are missing a tool once again.

3. Desire To Win - What better to get a team to win than a player who wants nothing more than to win. Kovy always has a high intensity level and always keeps it going. He is also hungry. He has never won anything. On one hand you could say he doesn't know how to win. I say, "It makes him hungrier and gives him something to fight for."

2. Kovy the Good Guy - Before he came to NJ he came off as cocky with all his post-goal taunting and uncontrolled post-game interviews. But as soon as he got here it was clear he was a really nice and down to earth guy that all the players got along with. Especially, Elias seemed to be particularly fond of Kovy. It doesn't get better thaan having a superstar that the rest of the team wants to do well.

1. Kovy owes NJ a Cup and NJ owes Kovy a Cup - Bring him back because we have unfinished business! We gave away young players and a first round draft pick to get Kovy. We expected him to be the missing piece that gets this team back to the finals. We gave away a lot and didn't get much return - HE OWES US A CUP AND I WANT MY CUP! Also Kovy turned down the chance to finish his career as a Thrasher in legendary fashion and the chance to make crazy money to come to a winning team. Well, we didn't win. We didn't show Kovy what NJ hockey is all about. This team owes Kovy a Cup.

I like it!

I'm an optimist, but unfortunately even I don't see us keeping Kovy. I think we had a good chance if we went to 3rd+ round in the playoffs, but with a disgraceful first round exit plus a below-average late-season stretch, he probably doesn't see enough of a difference between what he saw here and what he saw in Atlanta - namely, suckage.

Zubrus improved because he played with Parise (and was better with both Parise and Zajac). I'm also not sure he is a guy who doesn't care about his stats. Finally, signing Kovy eliminates the Devils getting a "top" center. It won't work cap wise. That said I don't think a top center is necessary, just a solid two-way center who can skate, win faceoffs, and chip in a few points.

I'm in favor of re-signing Kovy, but a lot of your reasons are flawed.

Zubrus improved because he played with Parise (and was better with both Parise and Zajac). I'm also not sure he is a guy who doesn't care about his stats. Finally, signing Kovy eliminates the Devils getting a "top" center. It won't work cap wise. That said I don't think a top center is necessary, just a solid two-way center who can skate, win faceoffs, and chip in a few points.

I'm in favor of re-signing Kovy, but a lot of your reasons are flawed.

By top center I meant 1st line center...on the Devils. I don't get your math (and you didn't provide any) because I don't see how we can't sign a guy like Koivu and re-sign Kovy and fit it under the cap. It works out fine. The question is being able to resign Martin and Kovy and get a center If we don't get rid of our waste-of-cap players.

Also Zubrus didn't just play with Parise. As a matter of fact he was shuffled up and down the lines right down the stretch.

Still here are the splits:

Pre-Kovy Zubrus: 25 GP 11 points 3G 8A +/-E

With Kovy Zubrus:26 GP 16 points 7G 9A +4

I'd say that's a marked improvement

Edit: and let me add, just being at the games you could tell Zubrus was playing a faster more aggressive game once Kovy got here

Elias isn't going anywhere, period. What in the world gave you that idea?

Right. Elias isn't going anywhere no matter what. But it's not one or the other anyways.

Edited by ben00rs

First off, you padded this list...#8, #3, and #2 really could have been grouped into one reason. Basically you're saying he's a swell guy who wants to win and be a good teammate. He did do a nice job saying all of the right things and coming across well upon coming here, but he also knows that he's up for a big payday, so it's in his best interests to present himself well. He also knows that he hasn't always had the best reputation, that at times he's been seen as a bit unmotivated (I can recall Devil games against Atlanta when, as a Thrasher, he couldn't have looked less interested), so some of all this swell-guy stuff could be seen as a little damage control.

As for the other reasons:

#10 His totals are a bit padded, in that it's obvious that no one in Atlanta forced him to hone his other skills...go ahead Ilya, just put the puck in the net...doesn't matter how sloppy the other aspects of your game are, or how many mistakes you make, or how one-dimensional you become.

#9 Yeah, his presence really made a difference in Atlanta all of those years. Big goal totals aside, ever think that he might have been as much of the problem there as he was a solution? Did he really make much of a difference here? I didn't see anyone looking terribly excited during that five-game washout against the Flyers.

#7 For every flash of brilliance, I saw many more flashes of stupidity, bad decisions, and "let me try to beat three or more guys" on a Kovalevian level.

#6 I don't think this decision lives or dies with Kovalchuk.

#5 See #7...he's exciting for as many wrong reasons as he is right ones. Parise's pretty exciting, he's homegrown, and he's SMART.

#4 Maybe with time he could help here, but for the money he's asking for I'm not interested in signing a maybe. I didn't see anything during his time here to think that he's automatically going to help.

#1 If anyone owes anyone anything, I'd say Kovy owes the Devils...they stepped up and made the big move for him, they gave him the chance to showcase his stuff and show the hockey world that he can shine on the big stage in big games, and he pretty much fell flat on his face...respectable numbers aside, he didn't really impact the team nor the games, and was barely a factor in the playoffs (2 goals...one ENG, a 5-on-3 PPG, and way too many unburied opportunities...against Brian Boucher of all goalies!).

We still need and can use another quailty center no if ands or buts about that,that playoff series against the Flyers we lost a majority of the faceoffs.Elias is signed i thought for another year or 2 so the thoughts about trading him wont or shouldnt cross Lou's minds.If anyone should go and should be gone is Lngenloser.And buzz killer rumors of Kovy perhaps signing with the Kings

First off, you padded this list...#8, #3, and #2 really could have been grouped into one reason. Basically you're saying he's a swell guy who wants to win and be a good teammate. He did do a nice job saying all of the right things and coming across well upon coming here, but he also knows that he's up for a big payday, so it's in his best interests to present himself well. He also knows that he hasn't always had the best reputation, that at times he's been seen as a bit unmotivated (I can recall Devil games against Atlanta when, as a Thrasher, he couldn't have looked less interested), so some of all this swell-guy stuff could be seen as a little damage control.

That's unfair. You can some up any post with a couple of lines. What I am saying is he is a "swell guy" who can bring us success.

Secondly, 8 and 3 are similiar but 2 is completely different and refers to his relationship with his teammates not his hockey attitude. They are related but different.

As for the other reasons:

#10 His totals are a bit padded, in that it's obvious that no one in Atlanta forced him to hone his other skills...go ahead Ilya, just put the puck in the net...doesn't matter how sloppy the other aspects of your game are, or how many mistakes you make, or how one-dimensional you become.

True. But it's his attitude that tells me he is willing to become a "Devils" type player. He's only had half a season, he can't change his game that fast. You also ignore the fact that the Devils are somewhat "one-dimensional" and need a goal scorer. He's not your typical Devil and that's what's refreshing about him. What you're saying is that you want a decent scorer who is a good defensive foward? That won't help our offensive production but only continue the same theme.

#9 Yeah, his presence really made a difference in Atlanta all of those years. Big goal totals aside, ever think that he might have been as much of the problem there as he was a solution? Did he really make much of a difference here? I didn't see anyone looking terribly excited during that five-game washout against the Flyers.

No, during the playoffs no one was excited because we were losing. To say he didn't excite the fanbase is untrue though. As far as Atlantaa goes he was not the problem. Bad luck and tragic circumstances have torn that franchise apart just as it was coming into it's own. Ilya kept that team afloat offensively.

#7 For every flash of brilliance, I saw many more flashes of stupidity, bad decisions, and "let me try to beat three or more guys" on a Kovalevian level.

He certainly needs to be instructed by the next coach that no more entering the zone alone against 3 guys will allowed. This is also just a bad decison that can easily be halted, it has nothing to do with the chemistry the players will potentially share.

#6 I don't think this decision lives or dies with Kovalchuk.

Nor did I say it did. I just said that WHEN we do get a center, he will be a lot more valuable with Kovy in the lineup.

#5 See #7...he's exciting for as many wrong reasons as he is right ones. Parise's pretty exciting, he's homegrown, and he's SMART.

And Parise is the future captain of the team! Again, your basing everything off half a year. He's only not been a Thrasher for a few months. He needs to develop in a real system over time. We would be signing him long term.

#4 Maybe with time he could help here, but for the money he's asking for I'm not interested in signing a maybe. I didn't see anything during his time here to think that he's automatically going to help.

That's a spin, you didn't see anything that would make you think that, because Lemaire was inept at running the PP. There's no one better than Kovy to form a PP around. No doubt our PP can be great with Kovy, Parise, Elias and the right coaching.

#1 If anyone owes anyone anything, I'd say Kovy owes the Devils...they stepped up and made the big move for him, they gave him the chance to showcase his stuff and show the hockey world that he can shine on the big stage in big games, and he pretty much fell flat on his face...respectable numbers aside, he didn't really impact the team nor the games, and was barely a factor in the playoffs (2 goals...one ENG, a 5-on-3 PPG, and way too many unburied opportunities...against Brian Boucher of all goalies!).

You didn't seem to notice that number one was a FEEL-GOOD thing. Like we mutually owe each other a Cup in a good way. You turned it into a childish "We don't owe him nothing" argument.

Overall, besides criticizing Kovy you're being stubborn. It seems to me you want the Devils to remain a pre-lockout team and you are unwilling to accept any player that is not of the typical Devils defensive mold. Guess what? It's 2010 and the Devils aren't having much success lately. It's time for a change. One player who is offensive-minded couldn't hurt.

Edited by ben00rs

none of this stuff matters to the people responsible in signing Kovalchuk.

Dont you think fans and other NHL teams have a similar list for signing Kovalchuk? Dont you think there is a competitive team in the NHL that could become true contenders for a stanley cup next year by signing kovalchuk? Kovalchuk has a chance to win a cup in other places than NJ. Plenty of other teams in the NHL close to winning the cup than NJ is....

Just being realistic here.

I would love to resign Kovalchuk, just not holding my breath waiting for it to happen and will not be surprised or pissed if he doesnt.

That's unfair. You can some up any post with a couple of lines. What I am saying is he is a "swell guy" who can bring us success.

Secondly, 8 and 3 are similiar but 2 is completely different and refers to his relationship with his teammates not his hockey attitude. They are related but different.

True. But it's his attitude that tells me he is willing to become a "Devils" type player. He's only had half a season, he can't change his game that fast. You also ignore the fact that the Devils are somewhat "one-dimensional" and need a goal scorer. He's not your typical Devil and that's what's refreshing about him. What you're saying is that you want a decent scorer who is a good defensive foward? That won't help our offensive production but only continue the same theme.

No, during the playoffs no one was excited because we were losing. To say he didn't excite the fanbase is untrue though. As far as Atlantaa goes he was not the problem. Bad luck and tragic circumstances have torn that franchise apart just as it was coming into it's own. Ilya kept that team afloat offensively.

He certainly needs to be instructed by the next coach that no more entering the zone alone against 3 guys will allowed. This is also just a bad decison that can easily be halted, it has nothing to do with the chemistry the players will potentially share.

Nor did I say it did. I just said that WHEN we do get a center, he will be a lot more valuable with Kovy in the lineup.

And Parise is the future captain of the team! Again, your basing everything off half a year. He's only not been a Thrasher for a few months. He needs to develop in a real system over time. We would be signing him long term.

That's a spin, you didn't see anything that would make you think that, because Lemaire was inept at running the PP. There's no one better than Kovy to form a PP around. No doubt our PP can be great with Kovy, Parise, Elias and the right coaching.

You didn't seem to notice that number one was a FEEL-GOOD thing. Like we mutually owe each other a Cup in a good way. You turned it into a childish "We don't owe him nothing" argument.

Overall, besides criticizing Kovy you're being stubborn. It seems to me you want the Devils to remain a pre-lockout team and you are unwilling to accept any player that is not of the typical Devils defensive mold. Guess what? It's 2010 and the Devils aren't having much success lately. It's time for a change. One player who is offensive-minded couldn't hurt.

Can you fault us for wanting the Devils to be like how we were pre-lockout? Let's start comparing our playoff success before and after the lockout....

However, while I like Kovy and do hope he re-signs, I think that if he walks and with the money that would have been spent on him going to a good d-man and solid center, then I think I will be just as, maybe more happy with that.