Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Devils Dose

Concerts

588 posts in this topic

Not that the board has the demographic that likes such a band but Fall Out Boy is playing in NYC at Webster Hall tonight. I have not slept and looked for tickets everywhere to no avail. Every ticket is like $500+. They are my favorite band I am really upset that I missed my opportunity to get tickets.

It's the only band I go see anymore. Clutch in Baltimore, 4/20.

Saw Flogging Molly in Silver Spring, Md. on Tuesday night. FM were great.  Openers Skinny Lister were unreal....totally stole the show.

Upcoming for me:

3/8:  Dropkick Murphys @ Electric Factory.

3/10:  Tossers @ North Star Bar.

not a concert (again)  but i get to see Demetri Martin next month @ The Wellmont... going to be awesome

Saw Yo Gabba Gabba! Live! on Saturday at the Wellmont. Had a blast.

Music is awesome!

Not really a concert, but almost... I saw "American Idiot" when it was in Schenectady last week.  It's already been to NJ, but it is in Philly starting last night and running the rest of the week.  The musical is an expansion of the story told in the namesake Green Day album and features all of the songs from it (obviously) plus a few songs from "21st Century Breakdown".  Much ass was kicked, and afterward my sister got her picture taken with the actor who played Johnny (the main character).

I e-mailed Starland Ballroom regarding improvements they should make during the Hurricane Sandy reconstruction (per their website - they were asking for ideas).  Anyway, here was my e-mail:

Saw your webpage, and the request for feedback on improvements.

I think you should invest in a top-end sound system.  The sound at the venue isn't horrible by any means, and I've experienced far worse over the years.  But I think going from adequate sound to superb sound is a world of difference.

I can't speak for other concert-goers, but I'll go out of my way to attend a concert where I know the sound is going to be amazing.  I live in an area of Pennsylvania that has virtually NO good venues, so I always have to travel upwards of two hours to see quality concerts.  I'm willing to put in additional driving time if I know the place I'm going has superb sound.

Just my two cents.  I can't wait to see Starland get back on their feet again.

All my best,

[NJCroMag]

And their encouraging response:

Hey [NJCroMag],

Thanks for your feedback.

Boy, you’re gonna be happy when you come back. [smily face emoticon]  (That’s all we can reveal right now!)

We’ll see you soon!

YES!  [fist pump]

I e-mailed Starland Ballroom regarding improvements they should make during the Hurricane Sandy reconstruction (per their website - they were asking for ideas).  Anyway, here was my e-mail:

And their encouraging response:

YES!  [fist pump]

You know it's a trap right?  Just checking.

You know it's a trap right?  Just checking.

itsatrapv.jpg

Saw Jim Gaffigan last night at the Wellmont Theatre on Montclair.

"Hot Pockets!!!"

Finally have a show on the docket - The National at the Mann Center in Philly June 7th. Depending on the setup, I'm either in the first or fifth row. Either way, incredible.

Metal Alliance Tour this past weekend at Irving Plaza. Anthrax was the headliner; they played the Among the Living album in its entirety. West Coast legends Exodus came on right before them. I missed the earlier bands -- too busy having fun beforehand hanging out in the city catching up with an old pal.

Has anyone here heard of Orange Goblin?  I saw them last night at a bar/concert venue in Brooklyn called Saint Vitus.  They sound kind of somewhere between 80s Sabbath-style metal and Clutch, they were awesome.  The bar itself was great, it's a very small and intimate venue with pretty good craft beer on tap.  There is no backstage so the bands unpack and set everything up right in front of you and before and after their set they just hang out at the bar and watch the other bands with everyone else.  There were four openers and three of them were really good too.

In case anyone is interested, here's some info.

Kings Destroy, Roadsaw, and ASG were awesome bands I never heard of before.  The other opener, KEN Mode, I didn't really care for other than one or two songs.  They were more of a noisy screaming hardcore type of band and I'm not really into that kind of stuff and their sound didn't really fit in with the other bands.

Also I just bought a ticket for an annual metal festival in Baltimore called Maryland Deathfest.  My friend goes every year and this year he convinced me to go.  I thought it was all death metal which I don't really like but there are some awesome older metal bands that I never heard of before until my friend told me about them after seeing them on the lineup.  If you like old school metal, check out Pagan Altar and Manilla Road, especially the album Crystal Logic by Manilla Road, it is a masterpiece and deserves way more recognition than it gets.  Also Phil Anselmo's new band, Down, will be there.

Just saw Suicidal Tendencies, Sick Of It All, D.R.I. and Waking The Dead at the Electric Factory in Philadelphia.

Fun time...made me feel like I was in high school again (except for the aching feet after standing around for four hours).

Just saw Suicidal Tendencies, Sick Of It All, D.R.I. and Waking The Dead at the Electric Factory in Philadelphia.

Fun time...made me feel like I was in high school again (except for the aching feet after standing around for four hours).

They were all just in NYC last Saturday. Unfortunately I already had tix to a different show or else I would've liked to have checked them out.

I used to be a big Suicidal fan. Saw them many times. I know Mikey is the only guy left. How'd he and his band sound? Did they play a lot of old stuff? How Will I Laugh Tomorrow is one of my favorite albums ever.

Edited by 95Crash

They were all just in NYC last Saturday. Unfortunately I already had tix to a different show or else I would've liked to have checked them out.

I used to be a big Suicidal fan. Saw them many times. I know Mikey is the only guy left. How'd he and his band sound? Did they play a lot of old stuff? How Will I Laugh Tomorrow is one of my favorite albums ever.

The band themselves were pretty tight, skill-wise, but the sound was off.  The bass was really prevalent, and the guitars practically buried in the mix.

I chalked it up to a soundman issue at first, but they never did correct it...so maybe the band wanted it that way (?).

Mike's still a really energetic guy on stage, but his backing band surprised me as well.  They were all over the place.  Not quite up to the energy level of Sick Of It All (who are BEASTS on stage, and are still at the top of the game after all these years), but pretty darn impressive nonetheless.

Here's the setlist from the show...a good mixture of old and new (but nothing from the "Art Of Rebellion" or "Suicidal For Life" CDs):

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/suicidal-tendencies/2013/electric-factory-philadelphia-pa-33d83ca1.html

Although not noted, the drum solo and "Pledge..." were actually the encore.

Edited by NJCroMag
1 person likes this

Got tickets to see Dropkick again, this time on August 21st at the Mann Center in Philadelphia.

Giving SERIOUS consideration to the Shindig Festival (Baltimore) on 9/14:  Dropkick Murphys, Gaslight Anthem, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Reverend Horton Heat, Clutch, Joan Jett And The Blackhearts and others.

That Shindig Fest sounds awesome. Also, Dropkicks at Mann Center will be pretty cool. Love that place.

Oh snap. Gwar with Hatebreed just announced at Starland on September 15th.

oh man, i've always wanted to see GWAR!

Ill be seeing Gabriel Iglesias on the 28th at NJPAC

then no concerts really scheduled for the summer (sad)

Drew Carey @ Bananas in october

then Streetlight Manifesto in November @ Starland... so. happy