LeBron For Newark!

oat77

Let me start off with a couple things. First, I hate basketball. It's fun to play, but it's a kids game. Second, this isn't about the Nets as much as it is about Newark, The Rock and Mr. Vanderbeek. Which is why I put it in this forum. Third, everything I'm about to say is pure speculation/opinion. There are no facts here. OK.

I love New Jersey. The Nets don't. So if it was up to me they could rot in the meadowlands or play to an empty house in Newark for the next 2+ years. But they've already won by getting out of the Izod so why should The Rock and Newark suffer for they're suckeyness? They only win win scenario I can come up with is for the Nets to sign Lebron James. I know, duh, right? The owner has more money then he knows what to do with, and the second most cap space I heard. And with Brooklyn in the future its a possibility. But forget about the team, they need to sign him for Newark.

I don't know if Brooklyn is going to happen, but I'm pretty sure it will. And Lebron will not keep the Nets in NJ. But what it will do is set up Newark for the future. Heres the speculation part. I assume Lebron would skyrocket Nets attendance at the Izod, I think its a guaranteed sell out at The Rock. Thats money for everyone. Then by having 2 years of sell outs in NJ, when the Nets leave it will set us up for a possible NBA team in the future. I personally don't want one, but I know whats good for Mr. Vanderbeek and Prudential Center. And no Lebron means average attendance and that will be the end of the NBA in NJ.

Then there is the too many arenas in an area problem. The Izod is the ultimate goverment screw you to the taxpayers. I will not get into that here. But while I think there should be a wrecking ball over there right now, I just don't know how long they will let it stay open. I believe though that an arena in Brooklyn will take enough events from NJ that it will force the hand of those in charge to finally close that dump. While I'd rather be the only game in town, arena wise that is, I would rather have 2 in NY and be the only one in NJ, than have another one down the road that the media wants to tell you is the only place were families want to go.

So there is my win win. Lebron still gets to be King of NY, via Newark for a couple years. The Nets get a star to open their arena and compete against the Knicks. The Devils and Newark get short term money and exposure, and a bright future with a possible NBA team and a closed Izod.

So what do you think? Any Basketball fans have any insight on free agency?

I would LOVE it if that happened (this coming from someone who isn't the biggest Lebron fan), but I have to believe that he will re-sign with Cleveland. It's his home town and they will do whatever possible to make him happy (including paying the most outrageous amount of money you've ever heard of).

I know very little about basketball, but I guess the Nets have a chance if they get the number 1 pick in the draft.

Potentially, they have yet to hold the draft lottery.

I would love to see Lebron James come here (and, like everyone else here, I'm a Nets fan but not at all big on basketball), but I don't think it's likely. As I've said a few times already, if he's available on the free agent market, even though he's way past his prime, you pick up Shaq to play for his now-hometown team for a year, one max free agent (Chris Bosh likely), and draft John Wall if you get the number one pick (and what an awful, awful stroke of luck it would be if they don't get it).

I think the Nets would actually do it too, seeing as they're as big on the marketing side as they are on the actual basketball side. The chance to market O'Neal in his hometown should be a slam dunk for them (no pun intended).

I think that makes great sense for the Pru and Vanderbeek. I just dont know if i can stomach Lebron being in Brooklyn after the two years. I used to like the Nets, now i hope they rot (after the 2 years in Newark). I dont want to see them flourishing in a new arena and with Lebron. It would be like seeing an ex-girlfriend living in a mansion dating brad pitt (or whoever the ladies find attractive nowadays)

Lebron isn't going to a 12 win team that just failed to win the lottery. He has a better chance of literally becoming MJ's successor in Chicago. And even if he does, what's the point? It's not going to help the Rock in the long run if they won't be a permanent team there.

Lebron isn't going to a 12 win team that just failed to win the lottery. He has a better chance of literally becoming MJ's successor in Chicago. And even if he does, what's the point? It's not going to help the Rock in the long run if they won't be a permanent team there.

If Lebron were in New Jersey, even if only the two years, you better believe it'd be a huge boon to the Devils/the Rock/Vanderbeek's bottom line. Two very successful years in Newark also opens the door to the possibility of another team coming to The Rock in the future (see what happened in Oklahoma City when they adopted the Hornets after Hurricane Katrina).

Sadly, getting the first draft pick (and therefore John Wall) would have been key to getting Lebron James to even consider NJ. I personally think the Nets should be trying to trade up anyway. Swap firsts and give up Devin Harris, maybe another draft pick or something. A guy like John Wall is a guy that a marketing department like the Nets have could build excitement around.

And even if he does, what's the point? It's not going to help the Rock in the long run if they won't be a permanent team there.

That was my whole point. I'll say it again

Lebron still gets to be King of NY, via Newark for a couple years. The Nets get a star to open their arena and compete against the Knicks. The Devils and Newark get short term money and exposure, and a bright future with a possible NBA team and a closed Izod.

But anyway, I was pretty much basing this all on the Nets getting the number 1 pick and they couldn't even do that right. It was a long long shot to begin with, but now forget it. Their only hope is their crazy russian owner. I see Daniel Snyder of the Redskins written all over this guy. Thinking money can cure every problem. But whatever. They already won by getting out of the swamp. So as much I wish nobody would show up, I just don't know what to want now. But either way, good riddance to the Nets. Don't let the door hit ya on the way out!

Sadly, getting the first draft pick (and therefore John Wall) would have been key to getting Lebron James to even consider NJ. I personally think the Nets should be trying to trade up anyway. Swap firsts and give up Devin Harris, maybe another draft pick or something. A guy like John Wall is a guy that a marketing department like the Nets have could build excitement around.

It's certainly possible that they trade up. They have three draft picks this year (#3, 27, & 31) that they could use to swap. I don't think the Wizards would do it though considering the caliber of player that john Wall is.

• 2 weeks later...

In all honestly I think Lebron stays with Clevland...why go to a team that could be a distater and spend years rebuilding when you can get more money and play on a better team.

While I agree that Lebron coming to Newark would be great for the city, the Rock, and the Nets, I really hope they do not sign them. In fact, I am not a fan of the Nets coming to Newark at all and never liked the idea from day 1. Part of the reason we left the old CAA was to have an arena for ourselves, a place where the stadium was not bland and breathed Devils. Hell, even the urinals have a devils logo engraved on the top! Now, the Nets are coming into the arena, and Mr. Vanderbeek even stated that they are looking into Nets artwork for the arena for the games. This makes me want to throw up. Now, we have to go into the Rock and see half of the arena dressed up in Nets colors and banners. This is for a team that I bet no matter where you place them, they would average under the 10,000 mark for attendence per game. Not only that, but the team was promised a better ice playing surface for hockey games. However, this proved to not happen as we have all been to games where the puck is bouncing all around from the soft ice and even Doc and Chico have mentioned it many times. Now add in 41 times where matts are placed over this for Nets games in addition to the Seton Hall games that are already happening there.

No thanks I say to the Nets in Newark and cannot wait for the Barclays arena to open in Brooklyn so the team could leave.

While I agree that Lebron coming to Newark would be great for the city, the Rock, and the Nets, I really hope they do not sign them. In fact, I am not a fan of the Nets coming to Newark at all and never liked the idea from day 1. Part of the reason we left the old CAA was to have an arena for ourselves, a place where the stadium was not bland and breathed Devils. Hell, even the urinals have a devils logo engraved on the top! Now, the Nets are coming into the arena, and Mr. Vanderbeek even stated that they are looking into Nets artwork for the arena for the games. This makes me want to throw up. Now, we have to go into the Rock and see half of the arena dressed up in Nets colors and banners. This is for a team that I bet no matter where you place them, they would average under the 10,000 mark for attendence per game. Not only that, but the team was promised a better ice playing surface for hockey games. However, this proved to not happen as we have all been to games where the puck is bouncing all around from the soft ice and even Doc and Chico have mentioned it many times. Now add in 41 times where matts are placed over this for Nets games in addition to the Seton Hall games that are already happening there.

No thanks I say to the Nets in Newark and cannot wait for the Barclays arena to open in Brooklyn so the team could leave.

"Looking into it" doesn't mean they're going to plaster Nets stuff all over the walls. There's empty walls everywhere, a handful of Nets artwork ain't gonna change much. And they're not going to pry out half the urinal toppers to replace them with Nets logos. The Rock is still going to be 100% a Devils arena, where the Nets happen to play for the next few years.

As far as ice quality goes - the ice quality at The Rock sucks already anyway, it's not going to get much worse because of the changeovers because it can't get much worse.

The key in this is the money coming to Devils Arena Entertainment, which runs the arena. 41 more dates booked, plus the potential of playoff games, plus all of the concessions and sales and exposure that comes with it, without the NJSEA taking half, is a great influx of money at a time when they're not making a ton of it. It would have been ridiculous to say no thanks to the Nets and the money they'd bring to the arena's bottom line because some of us might not want to see a picture of Devin Harris on the wall.

In all honestly I think Lebron stays with Clevland...why go to a team that could be a distater and spend years rebuilding when you can get more money and play on a better team.

You're wrong...He already said 'It's been fun here but..." after the Cavs were eliminated.

Personally I think Lebron stays with the Cavs and that works out just fine. As for the Nets, the city benifits from having them here for two years and make no mistake both the city and Vanderbeek want a basketball team here long term. Simply put, having 40 more dates on the schedule benifits everyone. The Devils want large events in that building 250-300 days a year. While I understand the fans wanting their own building no business person turns down the opportunity to get more "churn" out of their assets.

• 8 months later...

I like that the Nets are here for the sake of whats been said with the Devils making more money through the Rock itself. When I heard artwork I was scared it was gonna be murals like we have but happy to see its just standard "poster" style things that can easily be taken down when they leave; nothing permanent. I am a fan of the retired Seton Hall jerseys hanging up near the PNC Tower.

The Liberty will bring in more money in the summer during notriously slow months. I'll tell you I can't wait for the Izod Center to be torn down or converted. I am worried however that an arena in Brooklyn will hurt us once its open. You have the Rock, Izod, Garden, Barclays, and Coliseum all in this area competing for acts. The best thing would be to have Izod and the Coliseum close down; have the Islanders move to Barclays with the Nets and just have 3 arenas again; them being the Rock, the Garden, and Barclays.

Edited by ChilltownDevs2673