Back story on the Devils drafting MacLean

Rock

How Slats can dump Brashear

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/rangers/how_slats_can_dump_brashear_wK3e2hlcExIuIAubTogH6I

* In 1983, the Devils had the sixth pick of the first round while the Sabres had the fifth, 10th and 11th picks overall. New Jersey had targeted Oshawa's John MacLean for weeks, but management was concerned that Buffalo would snap him up.

The Sabres, however, also were smitten with Acton-Boxboro HS goaltender Tom Barrasso. The Devils thought Buffalo might take MacLean at five while figuring Barrasso would slide to 10.

And so the night before the draft, the Devils made a very public show of taking Barrasso and his family out to dinner at one of the busiest, most high-profile restaurants in Montreal, the site of the draft. The Devils had no interest whatsoever in Barrasso.

(Full disclosure: I worked for the Devils at the time, and attended the dinner that included the great Glenn Hall, who worked for the team as a consultant.)

The next day, the Sabres took Barrasso fifth, the Devils got their man at six.

Their man then, their man now.

Also, how old is Brooksie? Working for the Devils 27 years ago? WTF?

For a lifer in the area... 27 years isn't that long.... if he started fresh out of college, he'd be 49. If he started 10 years after that... 59.

Ken Daneyko was drafted the year prior... and he's only 46.

Also ... Brooks worked for the Devils?

Yeah, he was one of the media relations/PR flacks for the club back in the '80's. During the '88 playoff doughnut incident, I remember him wearing these big coke bottle glasses, reading many official team statements to the media.

Speaking of Johnny Mac...as good as his career was, I think it could have been even better if not for 1) having to play on some dreadful Devils teams, and 2) tearing his ACL in the prime of his career...after that happened he only had one year that approached the three seasons he put before the injury. Putting up over 800 points is nothing to sneeze at in the NHL, but I think he could've put up 1000 if not for 1) and 2).

Speaking of Johnny Mac...as good as his career was, I think it could have been even better if not for 1) having to play on some dreadful Devils teams, and 2) tearing his ACL in the prime of his career...after that happened he only had one year that approached the three seasons he put before the injury. Putting up over 800 points is nothing to sneeze at in the NHL, but I think he could've put up 1000 if not for 1) and 2).

And those couple of years he didn't exist... (98-2001, :giggle: )

I've got an inaugural year Devils STH promotional packet with a signed letter by Larry Brooks himself who was then in the PR department. :lol: I have to admit out of everything i own that has to be one of the funniest pieces of them all (next to my Devils/Blues 2000 Stanley Cup Championship T-shirt :giggle: )

I've got an inaugural year Devils STH promotional packet with a signed letter by Larry Brooks himself who was then in the PR department. :lol: I have to admit out of everything i own that has to be one of the funniest pieces of them all (next to my Devils/Blues 2000 Stanley Cup Championship T-shirt :giggle: )

HAHA awesome. Please explain!!

HAHA awesome. Please explain!!

LOL, i purchased it from Majestic around 7-8 years ago in a bulk buy of apparel when they cleaned house. It was a promo item where they just took two teams i think they thought would eventually play for the Cup. Can't blame them with St. Louis, they were a beast in 99-00.

I'll have to dig it out and post a pic of it later on.