New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

yeah, I know. that's what I mean by them having "months" to figure out how to get that piece. the defense market has been cleared out.

I think I would stand pat. The move for the next short term is figuring out if anyone will take Rolston w/o having to add. People don't like Langs, I don't like Langs right now, but you let him stay, go to camp. See if Clarkson is right, see if Tedenby can play, see if Zubrus' connection with the other Z's wasn't a fluke, then make some decisions.

let the Islanders have their billion dollar toy. don't chase other forwards when you're logjammed, except for 3/4C and 4 line wings. and there's plenty of kids for those roles anyway.

really, I did a run-through w/ Kovy at $8M per on HF, and I think it's ugly. it's not 100% accurate, but to get under the cap, you're basically trading Langs, Rolston and Salvador off the team for nothing.... and you're still scrunching things in to get to a 22/23 man roster.

Rolston is worth little, granted, so is Sal, but I think Langs is a chip, and I can't stomach giving up (or Zubrus, for that matter) away for free for an $8M second line LW. on this team, that's what he is.

first i agree with you on kovy. it was great having him last year but i am done with it. its not worth the money keeping him here. second i cant see lou trading rolston or langenbrunner, they both have no trade clause. our top six forwards right now are zajac, parise, langenbrunner, elias, arnott, maybe, and zubrus. rolston is good for maybe 10, clarkson maybe 15 depends who is working with. i really dont see a lot of goals happening or any body being really scared of our second line, or any body caring about our third line because its not going to be doing anything

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just for kicks, i went and did the roster w/ kovy @ $8MM getting rid of just sal and rolston for nothing, dressing 22 guys and getting another bottom 6 forward for $1MM.

* Ilya Kovalchuk —$8,000,000

Patrik Elias —$6,000,000

Jason Arnott —$4,500,000

Travis Zajac —$3,887,500

Dainius Zubrus —$3,400,000

Zach Parise —$3,125,000

Jamie Langenbrunner —$2,800,000

David Clarkson —$2,666,667

* Dominic Moore —$1,000,000

Jacob Josefson —$900,000

Vladimir Zharkov ($240,000)$850,000

* Rod Pelley —$750,000

P-L Letourneau-Leblond —$525,000

DEFENSEMEN

Anton Volchenkov —$4,250,000

Henrik Tallinder —$3,375,000

Colin White —$3,000,000

Alexander Urbom ($310,000)$870,000

Matt Corrente ($165,000)$821,667

Andy Greene —$737,500

Anssi Salmela —$612,500

GOALTENDERS

Martin Brodeur —$5,200,000 J

Johan Hedberg ($500,000)$1,500,000

BUYOUTS Jay Pandolfo—$833,333

Andrew Peters—$166,667

ROSTER SIZE22

PAYROLL$59,770,833

BONUSES $1,215,000

CAP SPACE$844,167

that's a slightly better team than mine, because I have no Langs and I have Fraser as the sixth defenseman (Urbom as the 5th), a placeholder as 3rd line LW making ELC money (really because I have no idea who to put there, Zharkie is a RW, and really, I'd like him to score a goal before I put him on the 3rd line), and "fodder" also making cheap/ELC money as 4th line center centering PL3 and Pelley.

my team is essentially

Parise-Zajac-Zubrus

Kovalchuk-Arnott-Elias

ELC-Josefson-Clarkson

PL3-cheap-Pelley

ELC/cheap

Greene-Volchenkov

Tallinder-White

Urbom-Fraser

ELC/cheap

I don't like that as much as:

Parise-Zajac-Zubrus/Langs

Elias-Arnott-Zubrus/Langs

Rolston-Josefson-Clarkson

whoever-Pelley-Zharkov

PL3

Greene-Volchenkov

?-Tallinder

any of the ELCs-White

Salmela

having White on the 3rd pair, I like that alot. I mean, he gets paid too much there, but he's generally solid in his assignments and they'd be getting easier.

that's a slightly better team than mine, because I have no Langs and I have Fraser as the sixth defenseman (Urbom as the 5th), a placeholder as 3rd line LW making ELC money (really because I have no idea who to put there, Zharkie is a RW, and really, I'd like him to score a goal before I put him on the 3rd line), and "fodder" also making cheap/ELC money as 4th line center centering PL3 and Pelley.

my team is essentially

Parise-Zajac-Zubrus

Kovalchuk-Arnott-Elias

ELC-Josefson-Clarkson

PL3-cheap-Pelley

ELC/cheap

Greene-Volchenkov

Tallinder-White

Urbom-Fraser

ELC/cheap

I don't like that as much as:

Parise-Zajac-Zubrus/Langs

Elias-Arnott-Zubrus/Langs

Rolston-Josefson-Clarkson

whoever-Pelley-Zharkov

PL3

Greene-Volchenkov

?-Tallinder

any of the ELCs-White

Salmela

having White on the 3rd pair, I like that alot. I mean, he gets paid too much there, but he's generally solid in his assignments and they'd be getting easier.

i agree with you - mine looks better. since we're in fantasy land here, i'd actually try to move white too and get one of erhoff/salo/bieksa from vancouver who now have 6 defensemen making over $3MM each.

ideally:

parise-zajac-langenbrunner

kovalchuk-arnott-elias

zubrus-josefson-clarkson

PL3-pelley-zharkov/veteran bottom 6 guy

volchenkov-greene

talinder-urbom

erhoff-corrente/salmela

lou would have to jedi mind trick his way out of rolston, salvador and white for no return salary. part of the mind trick would have to be on himself because i don't think he wants to get rid of colin white.

as for landing places for rolston - i actually think TBL might be one - they've got 4 F under contract and tons of cap space. sal (and white) are useful and several teams (anaheim, buffalo, carolina, florida, st. louis, washington) could use them as upgrades (amazingly).

eh, i'm past the point of caring anymore. as long as we don't give him the ridiculous contract he seems to want, i'm cool. he's good, but he's not worth going crazy over. if anything, kovalgate is a source for entertainment now. like someone else said -- the only way this gets better is if somehow the rangers managed to get involved but sather already did a good enough job with boogard so i'm even satisfied there too.

it's been a fun free agency so far, that's for sure.

But your reasoning was still faulty. You said he'd go there because they're a NY team and are up and coming, the only reason he is even entertaining going there is because they've come up with by far the biggest offer.

There actually hasn't been the market anyone thought there would be for him so it did open up for a bad team like the Isles to blow him out of the water, as I guessed they might yesterday.

:excl: "NY" team.........

Fvcking WRONG. All teams in the city of "NY" are NJ area teams. Read a little history will ya.

eh, i'm past the point of caring anymore. as long as we don't give him the ridiculous contract he seems to want, i'm cool. he's good, but he's not worth going crazy over. if anything, kovalgate is a source for entertainment now. like someone else said -- the only way this gets better is if somehow the rangers managed to get involved but sather already did a good enough job with boogard so i'm even satisfied there too.

it's been a fun free agency so far, that's for sure.

You know, I understand and share the feelings of anticipation and impatience to wait to see what a professional athlete is gonna do. But everyone around here seems to be giving up on caring what happens because it's taking too long.

However, let me stick up for Kovy. The truth is, it's only 2 days into free agency. Kovy has to make a life and career-altering decision this summer that will affect not only him but his family too. I think we should give Kovy a few more days before calling the situation too annoying to care about. I mean look at the NBA, there's been relatively no FA movement at all in the past 2 days. And how long do you think it's gonna be before LeBron signs?

Everybody is acting like they're too exhausted to go on. That just doesn't make any sense to me. Just trying to put things in perspective. I hope no offense is taken.

Edited by ben00rs

no offense taken here. i just never really put too much stock into the whole kovalchuk thing from the start. while i do admit that it was more exciting to see what was going to happen days 1 and 2, i was far more interested in what paul martin was going to do -- and what we were going to do when he would inevitably sign somewhere else.

kovalchuk was just like a nice surprise gift for me. i never expected it and i was totally happy to have it but i won't be crying if i lose it. and i totally agree that he has a lot to think about and decide but at the same time i'm sure he's definitely looking for the most bang he can get for his buck. if it's purely about the money -- okay, yeah, we'll see him in long island. if he actually thinks twice about it, well, it's nice to see that he has an ounce of drive in him and that he actually DOES want to win. we'll see what happens. it's not annoying to me at all. really it's more just that it's fun to sit back and watch the bumps along the way.

http://www.sbnation.com/2010/7/3/1550792/ilya-kovalchuk-free-agency-2010

"Word from the Ilya Kovalchuk camp is that he wants to win now and plans to sign with the Devils unless the Kings can offer more then the Devils. Supposedly the Kings offered him 7 Million a year, while the Devils have told him to wait until they clear space for him. This appears to be an interesting move by Lou in order to get Kovy in a position that there are no suitors who can afford him, allowing Lou to swoop in and offer him a lower deal. Much like how Nabakov and Turco are going to have to take much less then 6 million soon if they want to play in the NHL this year."

http://www.sbnation.com/2010/7/3/1550792/ilya-kovalchuk-free-agency-2010

"Word from the Ilya Kovalchuk camp is that he wants to win now and plans to sign with the Devils unless the Kings can offer more then the Devils. Supposedly the Kings offered him 7 Million a year, while the Devils have told him to wait until they clear space for him. This appears to be an interesting move by Lou in order to get Kovy in a position that there are no suitors who can afford him, allowing Lou to swoop in and offer him a lower deal. Much like how Nabakov and Turco are going to have to take much less then 6 million soon if they want to play in the NHL this year."

So he doesn't really want to win now, its about $$$$

:excl: "NY" team.........

Fvcking WRONG. All teams in the city of "NY" are NJ area teams. Read a little history will ya.

The Islanders are in New York. Am I missing something?

NY RedBulls, Jets, Giants (aka - teams with NY in their names but play in NJ) would sound more logical if you were talking about them....

Edited by nmigliore

Actually, I think I know what he means now -- they play in NY but are still near NJ, so if the attraction to NY is part of what Kovalchuk is looking for, he can just sign with NJ (since its right near NY)....

Seriously I think I'm starting to have enough of that game.

We need a puck moving D that is also a top pairing guy so I think that sign Kovalchuk is more of a bad thing + he look like a guy looking for a lot of money so fvck it.

Lou !!! Find a way to get a PMD (Kaberle :whistling:) instead of loosing your time on Kovalchuk.

Seriously I think I'm starting to have enough of that game.

We need a puck moving D that is also a top pairing guy so I think that sign Kovalchuk is more of a bad thing + he look like a guy looking for a lot of money so fvck it.

Lou !!! Find a way to get a PMD (Kaberle :whistling:) instead of loosing your time on Kovalchuk.

+1 Pass on Kovy.