New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

Sorry I'm late. I hope it's already been said throughout this thread that this is bullsh!t. Someone in NHL management has an axe to grind with the Devils (who could that be?) and decided to reject this contract. It's probably been said already but if this was the Kings with the same offer it would be a done deal.

yeah i doubt it has anything to do with the fact that kovalchuk's contract is longer than any of these other contracts

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://prohockeytalk...er&utm_term=NHL

First, here's a quick take from Nick Kypreos.

PA has 5 days to file grievance. Then league/PA must find independent arbitrator that's mutually agreed upon. Root canal sounds more fun!

TSN's James Duthie explains the consequences of a potential arbitration.

If grieved, arbitration is binding. If arb. rules in favour of NHL, he is supposed to fix deal so it "conforms to the requirements" of CBA.

(Darren Dreger added that the deal would be "dead" if the NHL player's association filed a grievance "until an arbitrator decides otherwise.")

John Shannon reports that the contract could either be changed or a grievance could be filed within five days. Cap Geek says that a resolution could be reached within three days in a best case scenario while the worst case scenario would see the deal settled within 15 days. (Ugh.)

Kyle "Spector" Richardson provides a broader explanation of the next possible steps.

So now it's up to either the Devils to restructure & re-file the contract or the PA to grieve it on Kovalchuk's behalf.

Again, it's important to note that the NHL hasn't made an official announcement on the deal being rejected, although that might be a formality at this point. Who knows? This might just be a lot of mildly entertaining banter over a technicality or two, but the two sides could indeed go through an ugly and rare arbitration process. We'll keep you up to date with everything from the rumors to the solid facts as this situation goes along.

No, but Bettman could lose any shred of respect he still has in this league.

What is this "shred of respect" you speak of?

yeah i doubt it has anything to do with the fact that kovalchuk's contract is longer than any of these other contracts

Triumph, I may be irrational and angry but let me be that way. I'll leave the logic and reason to you.

could this be related to the stevens/shanahan fiasco in early 90's

Nah. That was done by the book. The free agent rules were very strict at the time - they were essentially forced trades. If the team losing the player didn't accept the other teams' compensation, they could counter with their own proposed compensation. If that was in turn rejected, it went to arbitration where one of the two compensation arrangements would be picked. St. Louis had to compensate for signing Shanahan and the Devils made the case that Rod Brind'amour and Curtis Joseph were useless to them. Hence, Scott Stevens.

I have a bad feeling Lou slipped up with his comments today. I mean, why else, in the name of all that which does not suck, would the league wait until after the press conference announcing the signing to reject the contract? Kovalchuk apparently agreed to terms on Saturday. SATURDAY! It's Tuesday freaking night. I honestly can't think of any other reason for the timing to be what it is besides Bettman saying, "Ah jeez, the guy who wrote the contract just came out and said we shouldn't have contracts like this. We're gonna look really bad if we let it slide now."

OK, NOW I'm done. For realsies.

Sorry I'm late. I hope it's already been said throughout this thread that this is bullsh!t. Someone in NHL management has an axe to grind with the Devils (who could that be?) and decided to reject this contract. It's probably been said already but if this was the Kings with the same offer it would be a done deal.

AEG is the Almighty Powerful. Anschutz Company clout can influence anyone, obvious now.

Had a feeling this deal wasn't going to be easy... Bettmann is a sellout.

my main concern is this:

Is there a possibility that Kovalchuk could leave?

Is this issue just a few tweaks to the contract to make it more acceptable for the NHL?

After what he said during the press conference about wanting to settle down in NJ and wanting to win, being committed to the team, etc., it would look VERY bad if he went elsewhere, especially if the re-tweaking didn't significantly alter the money he'd be taking home.

After what he said during the press conference about wanting to settle down in NJ and wanting to win, being committed to the team, etc., it would look VERY bad if he went elsewhere, especially if the re-tweaking didn't significantly alter the money he'd be taking home.

talk about a personal PR nightmare if he tries to go elsewhere

my main concern is this:

Is there a possibility that Kovalchuk could leave?

Is this issue just a few tweaks to the contract to make it more acceptable for the NHL?

There's definitely a possibility Kovalchuk could leave. If the deal goes to arbitration and the arbiter rules in favor of the NHL, the contract is void and Kovy is a UFA again. Until then, the options are 1. restructure the contract or 2. the NHLPA files a grievance.

My question is... is it possible that neither of those could happen? i.e., NJ and Kovy can't agree on an NHL-approved contract, but the NHLPA decides not to file a grievance?

dchesnokov: According to @ehornick Ilya Kovalchuk's agent is supposed to be on XM at 8:05am

Will be interesting to hear what he has to say so. I expect something along the lines of "the deal is 100% CBA-compliant and we have nothing to hide. We will be filing a grievance and going to arbitration"

dchesnokov: According to @ehornick Ilya Kovalchuk's agent is supposed to be on XM at 8:05am

Will be interesting to hear what he has to say so. I expect something along the lines of "the deal is 100% CBA-compliant and we have nothing to hide. We will be filing a grievance and going to arbitration"

I agree

i'll be at work at this point, i really wish i could get an update about this interview!

Sh!t like this makes sports tougher and tougher to deal with. The NBA does nothing about a ref fixing games, MLB and FIFA refuse to use technology to get calls right, and the NHL arbitrarily applies rules only when they hurt the teams they don't like. I'd like to take the moral high ground and abandon the sport completely because of this, speak with my wallet and all that, but you know what? I'm too fvcking pissed and too fvcking loyal to this team. Maybe sports should just be fun, and maybe there are multiple real problems and it's not fair or logical of me to get this emotional about a game, but this season just became a war. I want to run up scores, and flip off the other teams. I want Leblond to intentionally injure Crosby, Ovie, and anyone important on an original 6 team. I want Lou to bring back Peters if Leblond gets suspended. I want Stevens to go to the league office and kill Bettman. But more than any of that, I want to win this cup to prove to the league that, no matter how much they want to, they can't kill the fvcking Devils. They tried to send us to Nashville, they changed the rules to hurt our players, they stood in our way when we tried to sign a legal contract (and I hear what tri and 731 are saying about the terms, and the legality, but if we were a sexier team, the NHL would turn the other way), but we have a proud team, the best fvcking GM in the sport, and, no matter what every assh0le fan from everywhere else says, a fan base I'd go to war with in a second. It's time for all of us to band together against the world. Fvck speaking with my wallet, I'm going to more games this year, and I'll travel with the team so I can laugh at every other fvcking fan when we kick their asses. This is supposed to be fun, and maybe it will be, but the NHL has done the best they can to suck the fun out of the game for Devils fans, and the only way I see it being worth it is if we can laugh in their fvcking faces drinking kool-aid out of the cup.