New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

i hate this!!! why can't we enjoy our once in a lifetime UFA signing without Gary Bettman ruining it!!!

He wanted the Devils in Nashville...now this... why's he always pissing in our cheerios??

Lou and McMullen "wanted" the Devils in Nashville. they were the ones touring arena sites

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After the Hossa deal the NHL should of just said "Alright that was the last loophole contract". Instead now they started a unnecessarily fight. Smart thing to do, let Kovy deal through then say no more instead of say no when one of these contracts comes up. :argh:

After the Hossa deal the NHL should of just said "Alright that was the last loophole contract". Instead now they started a unnecessarily fight. Smart thing to do, let Kovy deal through then say no more instead of say no when one of these contracts comes up. :argh:

smart thing to do would have been to structure the Kovalchuk deal 100% the same way as the Hossa deal. just with more money involved, but the salary scale and years exactly the same, maybe add a year or two but balance it out fairly.

both sides were dumb. it would be hilarious if they lost Kovalchuk because of poor contract structure after the dog and pony show. it would obliterate what would have been otherwise a good offseason, if they had not signed Kovalchuk at all.

Edited by maxpower

Hard to do that when the CBA allows it and you just set more precedents until they finally say stop. IMO, after last season with Pronger and Hossa, they should have just let it go until the next round of CBA negotiations.

However, as it has been said on this board that would have weakened their position for the next negotiation. It's entirely possible that if this does go to the arbitrator and if the NHLPA wins then it would make for some fierce negotiations in 2012.

Lou and McMullen "wanted" the Devils in Nashville. they were the ones touring arena sites

Correct and I think this is a bad example that some people are using here of Bettman's ineptness. A better example is what is going on in Phoenix.

are you serious...lou and mcmullen were looking for arena sites in nashville?

guess Lou just wanted to remain employed...unbelievable...ruins it for me.

almost like finding out there's no santa claus.

when i was a kid i did not follow that bad trip except for some of the headlines in the star-ledger.

can't imagine lou with the country fvcks in nashville...sickening

Let me explain this nice and slowly...

Now, a coherent response is welcome. I don't know how to respond to smiley faces and name calling.

yawnhand.gif

rolleyes.gif

Ugh what a mess. Looks like this is heading to arbitration. I really hope Lou can still proceed with the moves necessary to clear up the cap space, etc. If he waits until the final decision, it could be too late.

Well there's your only reason Buttman needed to veto the contract right there.

because they'd save everyone involved a lot of trouble if they acquiesced.

Mainly us.

If this were the political forum I'd call that a real non-American, Democratic way of doing things.

this is still fvcking team goddamnit

clap.gif

That's what I thought too, that a new deal could be created to avoid the arbitration...in fact the rule I posted seems to suggest it. But I agree with you, that since I haven't heard any sportswriters mention the clause I posted it doesn't apply for some reason.

But doing so does say, "OK WE agree that the first contract was a farse and not legal" By sticking by the 17 yr deal they are saying it is legit and should stick.

I feel like this is a situation where the system works. In order to sign Kovalchuk for a reasonable cap hit, the team had to commit to him long term,

That right there should be allowed and rewarded. The team is taking a risk yoking themselves to ANYONE long term. There is a risk to that.

If the NHL loses then everyone knows the NHL has no bullets left to fire. You don't waste your last bullet on a shot across the bow, IMO.

Unless you are trying to scare a sh!tload of muggers (GM's) with only one bullet. dontknow.gif

Edited by Masked Fan

are you serious...lou and mcmullen were looking for arena sites in nashville?

guess Lou just wanted to remain employed...unbelievable...ruins it for me.

almost like finding out there's no santa claus.

when i was a kid i did not follow that bad trip except for some of the headlines in the star-ledger.

can't imagine lou with the country fvcks in nashville...sickening

it's in "'s. I have no idea what their real intention was, to get concessions, or if they would have moved the team had they lost and couldn't get what they'd want.

but they were definately there.

Just reading through the CBA some more these were of interest:

26.12 Joint Discussions on Possible Circumventions. Each Investigator shall notify

the other after he has concluded an investigation under Section 26.10. Within three (3)

days after such notification, and prior to the Investigator's issuance of a report concerning

the results of such investigation, the parties shall meet and confer to try to resolve the

matter. If the parties reach a resolution, the Investigator reserves the discretion as to

whether to issue a report concerning the alleged Circumvention. If the matter is not

resolved, the Investigator shall issue a report concerning the alleged Circumvention.

Neither the NHL nor NHLPA may commence any action before the System Arbitrator

pursuant to Section 26.13 below prior to the parties having met and conferred pursuant to

this Section 26.12.

So once a grievance is filed(and a systems arbitrator picked) an investigator goes through everyone's emails and stuff, or whatever the arbitrator will allow.

Then the investigator tells makes a report(I'm assuming he does this even though it's not being released yet) of their opinion on if circumvention has happened.

Then Kovy, Grossman, The Devils, The NHL, and probably the investigator meet up and try to resolve the issue before going to the arbitrator.

If they don't come to an agreement then the parties go before the arbitrator and the investigator issues his report.

-------------------------------------------

So really there is no need for the Devils and Kovy to renegotiate now. They have until the investigation is completed, before the actual arbitration, to construct something with the league that works for everyone. After the investigation everyone would probably have a better idea on where they stand.

The System Arbitrator may find a Circumvention has occurred based on

direct or circumstantial evidence, including without limitation, evidence that an SPC or

any provision of an SPC cannot reasonably be explained in the absence of conduct

prohibited by this Article 26. The investigation and findings of the Investigator pursuant

to Section 26.10 shall be fully admissible in any proceeding before the System Arbitrator

under this Section 26.13.

That shows that direct proof isn't needed for either side to make their case.

Edited by Devils731

Just reading through the CBA some more these were of interest:

So once a grievance is filed(and a systems arbitrator picked) an investigator goes through everyone's emails and stuff, or whatever the arbitrator will allow.

Then the investigator tells makes a report(I'm assuming he does this even though it's not being released yet) of their opinion on if circumvention has happened.

Then Kovy, Grossman, The Devils, The NHL, and probably the investigator meet up and try to resolve the issue before going to the arbitrator.

If they don't come to an agreement then the parties go before the arbitrator and the investigator issues his report.

-------------------------------------------

So really there is no need for the Devils and Kovy to renegotiate now. They have until the investigation is completed, before the actual arbitration, to construct something with the league that works for everyone. After the investigation everyone would probably have a better idea on where they stand.

That shows that direct proof isn't needed for either side to make their case.

i don't think that's how it works - and i just read the relevant sections of Section 26 myself. that's how it might have worked for the marian hossa contract, but in this case, the league outright rejected the contract. the league has not said they are investigating it, so i don't think this is how things are going to work out.

reading section 11.6, i see no references to section 26. there's no investigator - there's arbitration and that's it. that's actually better for new jersey imo.

Edited by Triumph

i don't think that's how it works - and i just read the relevant sections of Section 26 myself. that's how it might have worked for the marian hossa contract, but in this case, the league outright rejected the contract. the league has not said they are investigating it, so i don't think this is how things are going to work out.

reading section 11.6, i see no references to section 26. there's no investigator - there's arbitration and that's it. that's actually better for new jersey imo.60/134

I dunno, I think 11.6 references section 26 if the league plans to say they voided the contract due to salary cap circumvention. That's the league saying under section 11.6, as laid out in section 26, we believe a salary cap circumvention exists.

I think the Devils would be better off with a prior investigation taking place. The arbitrator will ask to see all the emails and stuff anyway, having a chance to confer with the league before all power is taken out of your hands is better, IMO.

It does look like 11.6 covers this situation better but it seems to me under section 26 both sides probably already are fielding investigators into the matter, they just have nobody to go to gain authority.

The other issue is one of Daly's emails specifically references section 26, so I wonder how that jives with 11.6 since it looks like this dispute will involve both. Although I've only seen Daly reference section 26.

Lifted from TG comment section poster Romeo:

Bill’s response:

Anthony - I cannot share more than what we have said publicly. But I would refer you to Article 26. Contrary to what some people believe, this is the type of situation that that Article was specifically intended to deal with. And I would argue that this contract, on its face, differs in very material respects from the “other contracts” that people keep pointing to. In addition, there are other elements here that compelled our action that are and must remain internal and confidential. But please be assured there is no “anti-Devils” agenda here. I would suggest if you are able to stand back and view this objectively, you would understand that we are simply attempting to protect the integrity of the CBA. Hope that helps. Bill

It seems to me the league may have been investigating this and feel they have more beyond just the contract itself. That's just an assumption obviously.

Edited by Devils731

NHL can’t win Ilya Kovalchuk contract showdown, says prominent agent

By Brad Ziemer, Vancouver Sun

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/business/Ilya+Kovalchuk+contract+showdown+says+prominent+agent/3306706/story.html#ixzz0uSNeaOae

ANCOUVER — The National Hockey League is clearly trying to draw a line in the sand, but may not have a legal leg to stand on in its rejection of Ilya Kovalchuk's 17-year, $102-million US contract with the New Jersey Devils, one prominent agent said Wednesday.J.P. Barry of CAA Sports, whose large roster of clients includes Vancouver Canucks forwards Daniel and Henrik Sedin and Mason Raymond, said he doesn't see how the league can win what appears to be an almost certain showdown with the NHL Players' Association over its rejection of the deal.

"I have already done quite a few contracts that were front-end loaded and there is no language in the CBA addressing the term of contracts," Barry said. "So I am not sure what grounds they intend to rely upon."

If there is a lockout maybe some folks will create a startup hockey league like Al Bundy did when baseball went on strike.

If there is another lockout, Gary Bettman better be forced to climb the nearest highest landmark and take a swan dive off of it. __Jump_Off_a_Cliff___Emoticon_by_neek_zique.gif

I know the Ranger rumors are garbage and I'm really not trying to give it legs.

However, considering that Kovy's status hasn't really reverted to UFA, would attempts to contact Kovy by NY or any other team during this time constitute tampering of some sort?

I wonder if anyone could attempt to throw a wrench in the works without any repercussions.

If there is another lockout, Gary Bettman better be forced to climb the nearest highest landmark and take a swan dive off of it. __Jump_Off_a_Cliff___Emoticon_by_neek_zique.gif

Seriously. This stupid league lost an ENTIRE SEASON to a lock-out, and we're already talking about having ANOTHER lock-out 7 years after the last one ended? Which occured 9 years after the one before it? It's fvcking mind-boggling just what a sh!t-show this fvcktard has presided over.

Edited by MadDog2020

Seriously. This stupid league lost an ENTIRE SEASON to a lock-out, and we're already talking about having ANOTHER lock-out 7 years after the last one ended? Which occured 9 years after the one before it? It's fvcking mind-boggling just what a sh!t-show this fvcktard has presided over.

I don't think the upcoming CBA has as many issues as the past. Last lockout players got their salaries cut, and a cap was put in place. I don't think anything that major is going to happen. Has anyone else heard about any major issues?