New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

Who are they submitting it to? Each other? Or is there a third party that's holding this in escrow like some mortgage company?

I think Puck Daddy is probably accurate. They're all saying stuff that makes us think that this resolves with all due haste, but in reality they can't decide on which donuts and coffee to have for the arbitor picking hearing. I'm with Tri on this one; about a month or so before this gets resolved. Worse if they have some kind of reality show to figure out who's the arbitor. "Mr. Namtteb, you are the weakest link, goodbye."

They're submitting them to an arbitrator who will decide which arbitrator they should use.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a bad feeling about all of this. Looking at the possible punishments that TG listed (if we lose) it will be bad. Just imagining the sh-t eating grin on Bettman's face as he takes away draft picks, fines Lou and Kovy, and takes more from our cap, pisses me off.

the devils will not get fined for this, TG is just stirring stuff up like he's good at

I wouldn't put anything past this league right now...though I do agree it's unlikely any penalties get imposed, I'm guessing those are outlined in the CBA basically for either repeat offenders or if there happens to be a smoking gun that comes out in the hearing (which there almost surely won't be) like a taped conversation that Kovy says he's not playing till he's 44.

I believe the loss of picks and such would be the result of an investigation into already approved contacts, like the Devils rented him a mansion for $1 a month and didn't count it towards his salary or hired his wife for 1Mil per year as a secretary or something - that sort of thing. I don't think they can charge you draft picks and millions of dollars because you put forth a straightforward contract to the league for approval and they said no.

The big fines are for actual circumvention - not planning on doing something and asking permission and being told no.

Edited by jim777

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=5363951

Looks like

Out: July 4

In: July 7

Out: July 8

In: July 11? http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=5372277

thanks I will update as soon as we fix the editing on the thread ... there is a bug

Good summation, although I think the order should be reversed, so if one were to read if from top to bottom, it would start with the rumor and end with the arbitration.

Also, some quick links to where each milestone began would be excellent. That way, if you want to jump to where the Kovy signing was first announced, you could just get there without slogging through the thread. While I can't do it now, I'll offer to wade through the thread tonight and collect those links for you to add with your divine admin powers.

Let's be fair, an epic thread deserves epic treatment.

AOK...will add them thanks

Regarding Kovalchuk and "systems arbitrator": Source just told me that NHL/NHLPA may agree on arbitrator who *isn't* systems arb.

Systems arbitrator=permanent job; NHL/NHLPA may opt for arbitrator who simply decides this case only. (2/2)

http://twitter.com/SweetwoodNo1?utm_source=follow&utm_campaign=newfollow20100706&utm_medium=email&utm_content=profile

Regarding Kovalchuk and "systems arbitrator": Source just told me that NHL/NHLPA may agree on arbitrator who *isn't* systems arb. (1/2)

— Greg Wyshynski (@wyshynski)

July 26, 2010

Regarding Kovalchuk and "systems arbitrator": Source just told me that NHL/NHLPA may agree on arbitrator who *isn't* systems arb.

Systems arbitrator=permanent job; NHL/NHLPA may opt for arbitrator who simply decides this case only. (2/2)

http://twitter.com/SweetwoodNo1?utm_source=follow&utm_campaign=newfollow20100706&utm_medium=email&utm_content=profile

That makes sense, they appear to need one so infrequently it's probably cheaper in the long run to just do a one off deal.

Regarding Kovalchuk and "systems arbitrator": Source just told me that NHL/NHLPA may agree on arbitrator who *isn't* systems arb. (1/2)

— Greg Wyshynski (@wyshynski)

July 26, 2010

Just got off the phone with Bettman. Let him know I was available.

That makes sense, they appear to need one so infrequently it's probably cheaper in the long run to just do a one off deal.

doesn't really make sense to me. for one, the league hasn't needed one for 6 years. two, how does that exactly speed up the process?

in my opinion the NHL is just doing this to exploit the need for a maximum length on a contract when the CBA is up next year, but if Crosby signed a 35 yr deal it would be perfectly fine

doesn't really make sense to me. for one, the league hasn't needed one for 6 years. two, how does that exactly speed up the process?

Who said anything about speed? I said it's cheaper to use a guy as a one off rather than pay a guy a retainer to do something you almost never use.

The speed of this is almost always fine anyway, since it's almost never used, and we have no idea how much using a 1 off is going to affect the speed now. It looks like both sides are going to try to keep it quick.

This is thread?

nice!

Look at the Devils Roster. Kovy is on it. Now look at his contract. Back at the Roster. Kovy is gone. So is the contract. I'm on a horse.

Excellent

...and the feelings so real, you can feel the feeling...

I'm hooked on the feeling!

Guys, I don't know if I'm freaking out about Kovalchuk's situation... and I don't know if somebody already commented about it but I think Kovalchuk has different colored eyes. I think I was staring at his pictures for too long... LOL

I know that it doesn't matter, I think it is cool. Can somebody tell me if I am wrong?

'Bout time someone tackled the tough subjects on this thread!!!

His left eye is darker then the right, he's a cyborg. Either it's what they had in stock in Tvar, or the eyes have two different jobs. blink.gif

Just got off the phone with Bettman. Let him know I was available.

Slut. ewwww. :puke:

I want to see naked pictures of Scott Stevens... :rant: I read in some comments on one of GW's blogs that some guy didnt' expect everyone to have a tea party on Scott Stevens dick... I wish he hadn't written that. I havent' thought about it in such a long time. He's old now and stuff - but... I still want to see him naked...

oh nevermind <_<

Edited by Pepperkorn

If there is a retainer for a system arbitrator, I imagine it's something negligible from the league's point of view, something like $10k to 20k per year, so it's not a cost issue.

The arbitrator for this, if it's a lawyer in NYC, will cost something like $700 an hour.

I have to say, if we lose, this can get very ugly. Bettman can cause all kinds of very serious damage should the NHL win, and seeing as how he absolutely loves the Devils ( :whistling: ), I have no doubt he will use every one of the abilities given to him under the CBA. He can impose up to a $5M fine on the Devils, which counts against the cap, plus another $1M fine on Kovalchuk. As if that weren't enough, he can also take draft picks away.

Eh, we already have a 5 million dollar fine that counts against the cap.