New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If nobody else can do it, I think I can make the shirt deal happen. A coworker's sister has her own screening business. Does real good work. But I will need the pic files. If that's good with everybody let me know. We can just split all the costs among those who order. The more orders the cheaper the shirts!

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists/Simmons/2010/09/04/15250286.html

How long before the New Jersey Devils regret signing Ilya Kovalchuk to a 15-year contract? One year? Five years? Five minutes? What seemed lost in all the byplay of whether his contract would be approved, whether Gary Bettman has become the nastiest commissioner in sport, whether the NHLPA actually exists, was the question of why. Why would anyone believe you can build a team around Kovalchuk? And if you believe that, as the Devils clearly do based on the $100-million US they are prepared to spend, what are you basing that belief on?

Martin Brodeur won't be around much longer. The Devils haven't been a playoff factor of any kind since before the lockout. Their best defencemen -- Scott Stevens, Scott Niedermayer, Brian Rafalski and Paul Martin -- have either retired or moved on. Maybe, short term, the Devils will get some value from Kovalchuk, the goal-scorer. But not 15 years worth. Not 10 years worth. This isn't a gamble as much as it is an enormous investment: An investment that will not, cannot pay off long-term.

when you drop THAT much money at him you damn well are!

$6.66 mil isn't "THAT much." It's what you would expect to pay a first-line type of player. It's a steal considering it's a two-time 50 goal-scorer. Kovalchuk is going to be a big part of the team's core, but we're not "building around" him. We already have Parise, Zajac, Elias, Brodeur, etc. He's just a piece of the puzzle.

$6.66 mil isn't "THAT much." It's what you would expect to pay a first-line type of player. It's a steal considering it's a two-time 50 goal-scorer. Kovalchuk is going to be a big part of the team's core, but we're not "building around" him. We already have Parise, Zajac, Elias, Brodeur, etc. He's just a piece of the puzzle.

over 15 years??

you don't sign role-players to 15 year contracts sir