• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DevsFan7545

New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

12,307 posts in this topic

They have the best chance at being the next Blackhawks, as in a team that has a huge turn around from worst to best in about a 3 - 4 year period.

And then have to dump half the people that made it possible because of cap space hell?

Ninjas and Purple Drank are far more entertaining than waiting for someone else who's made more money than I will see in my lifetime make even more money and not even bring me pleasure by playing for my favorite sports franchise. Not to mention, a Russian.

and Dont worry about my Cap!!!

And then have to dump half the people that made it possible because of cap space hell?

What would you rather have...a cup, losing players and being bad for a while or being consistently good and not winning? I know my pick.

sorry dan...i forgot to drink my coffee before i wrote that...lol

still...i'm kinda feeling weird about the devils future.

all of a sudden johnny macs the head coach...we got arnott and rolston back...martys on the way out...

and lou is like the emperor with no clothes on.

you could be right...LoL!

Haha, I know man. I'm not instilled with confidence either, but there are some bright spots to the future here. Gone will be the days of yearly division titles. Just think, in a few years we'll be arguing about making the playoffs instead of failing in them. :giggle:

I do think that they have a solid chance at a Cup run in the next couple of years before a lot of the core is gone, though.

Most likely. Welcome to the glorious new NHL!!

For the record I still want Kovy to sign here. Just trying not to get my hopes up anymore.

Why people sound so sure that not signing Kovy will make Parise a Devs long term ?

Signing Kovy could be difficult (but it's still possible) to make both sign long term... but you don't know what's in the Parise mind...

That will be so " funny " if we loose both of them...

Unless Parise has made up his mind now that he doesn't want to play for the Devils long term, it's very likely you can lock him up for 7 to 10 years. Unrestricted free agency is two years away, and as he certainly is noticing with Kovalchuk, there's no guarantee that teams will be lining up to sign you no matter how good you are. If Kovy had re-signed here, you'd need to do a significant amount of cap juggling to get a long term deal that starts in 2011. Without Kovy, you can go to Zach tomorrow with a long term deal with a $7 to 7.5 cap hit, and there's a good chance he'll take it before hiring an agent (which nets him something like an extra $300k to 700k a year).

So unless he really doesn't want to be here or Lou plays that stupid "you have to do things the Devils way", he's not going anywhere. I suspect that Vanderbeek won't let the latter happen.

Unless Parise has made up his mind now that he doesn't want to play for the Devils long term, it's very likely you can lock him up for 7 to 10 years. Unrestricted free agency is two years away, and as he certainly is noticing with Kovalchuk, there's no guarantee that teams will be lining up to sign you no matter how good you are. If Kovy had re-signed here, you'd need to do a significant amount of cap juggling to get a long term deal that starts in 2011. Without Kovy, you can go to Zach tomorrow with a long term deal with a $7 to 7.5 cap hit, and there's a good chance he'll take it before hiring an agent (which nets him something like an extra $300k to 700k a year).

So unless he really doesn't want to be here or Lou plays that stupid "you have to do things the Devils way", he's not going anywhere. I suspect that Vanderbeek won't let the latter happen.

And there is no reason really for Parise to want to go elsewhere. Without Kovy, it is pretty clear that he the future, as well as the face of this franchise once Brodeur retires. And once Langs is gone, Parise should get the C.

And there is no reason really for Parise to want to go elsewhere. Without Kovy, it is pretty clear that he the future, as well as the face of this franchise once Brodeur retires. And once Langs is gone, Parise should get the C.

Unless he wants to win the cup and doesn't see it happening in NJ. /shrug

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=327346

Looks like the Kovy saga will at least live until Tuesday

This was posted last night after the speculation on twitter. But since we aren't hearing anything this morning, it seems more likely that this will not be solved today. At which point, a lot of people will be really pissed off.

This was posted last night after the speculation on twitter. But since we aren't hearing anything this morning, it seems more likely that this will not be solved today. At which point, a lot of people will be really pissed off.

It's only 8 am in LA. They have the wholllleee day ahead of them.

I still want Kovy but I think that he signs in LA. IF not today then shortly after. Game over, IMO.

I think we need a RW to play with Zach and Travis. I like Jamie but I think the top line needs a more dynamic RW. I think it should come via trade too.

I think our much needed PMD should come via trade as well.

As it stand right now, the Devils aren't a cup contender. The core isn't enough. Lou promised big changes and if we don't land Kovy I personally would still like to see some new faces.

I still want Kovy but I think that he signs in LA. IF not today then shortly after. Game over, IMO.

I think we need a RW to play with Zach and Travis. I like Jamie but I think the top line needs a more dynamic RW. I think it should come via trade too.

I think our much needed PMD should come via trade as well.

As it stand right now, the Devils aren't a cup contender. The core isn't enough. Lou promised big changes and if we don't land Kovy I personally would still like to see some new faces.

Zubrus should be the right wing for Zach and Trav. No doubt. Elias and Arnott need a right winger and Langs should be the third line right winger. Wouldn't it be awesome if Tedenby was ready to be the 2nd line right wing?

Seriously though, there is an issue with people not wanting to play here and it's getting annoying.

Zubrus should be the right wing for Zach and Trav. No doubt. Elias and Arnott need a right winger and Langs should be the third line right winger. Wouldn't it be awesome if Tedenby was ready to be the 2nd line right wing?

Yeah I definitely like Zubs over Langs.

So it would be Clarkson on the right of Elias and Arnott and Lands on the right of Rolston and possibly Jofeson? No bad I guess.

But I still think this team really needs a make over.

Could be that Lou isn't willing to throw out the cash and New Jersey's income and property taxes are enough to keep ANYONE away.

Would you imagine that Newark NJ is the most expensive city in the country to own and operate a business? It's true! This state stinks with those financial issues.

I said this in another thread, but what about Marek Svatos as the winger for Elias and Arnott? Give him a one year deal and hope he can find his game in a new setting. Health is definitely a worry with him, but Langs can be pushed up to the Elias-Arnott line if Svatos gets injured.

Edited by devils26

Could be that Lou isn't willing to throw out the cash and New Jersey's income and property taxes are enough to keep ANYONE away.

Would you imagine that Newark NJ is the most expensive city in the country to own and operate a business? It's true! This state stinks with those financial issues.

As bad as NJ is, California is just as bad if not worse with land value / taxes / etc. Not to mention the state is basically bankrupt.

I wouldn't be surprised if this ended today or tomorrow. Kovy knows what NJ has to offer and he will understand what LA has to offer as of today. Then it's just a matter of weighing the pros and cons which i'm sure he's been doing.

Actually, probably more like tomorrow to set up the press conference and let him sleep on it.

My guess. Also I think he's going to LA.

Yeah I definitely like Zubs over Langs.

So it would be Clarkson on the right of Elias and Arnott and Lands on the right of Rolston and possibly Jofeson? No bad I guess.

But I still think this team really needs a make over.

So I guess we'd be looking at

Parise-Zajac-Zubrus

Elias-Arnott-Clarkson

Rolston-Josefson-Langenbrunner

If Josefson learns quick, that third line could be great. I still question Clarkson being on the second line. I just don't see it.

Maybe, but I don't think California is that much cheaper.

I think the problem is the Devils are a 'system' and that is a turn off for most top players who weren't brought up in the Devils system.

We'll see what happens with Zach, but if he decides to test UFA I'd say there's something very very wrong going on.

Greg Wyshynski:

Doesn't Kovalchuk's decision basically come down to living near Snooki or Spencer Pratt at this point?

Greg Wyshynski:

Doesn't Kovalchuk's decision basically come down to living near Snooki or Spencer Pratt at this point?

LOOL.