New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May as well trade him instead of the 1st. Considering we now have 3 of the top 15 LWs in the game, it's not like we're going to need a top 6 guy at that position anytime soon.

Or you shift him to right wing and keep a developed asset.

Tallinder has an excellent first pass, Greene can move the puck and Urbom moves the puck well.

Or you shift him to right wing and keep a developed asset.

Tallinder has an excellent first pass, Greene can move the puck and Urbom moves the puck well.

i'm trying to think of teams that have two players who consistently play on their off-wing. the devils could potentially have 4 if they kept tedenby.

if Kovy does somehow sign with Devils, it will have nothing to do with what anyone said on any forum or blog. Same thing goes with if he signs with the kings.

But I cannot help but smirk and throw another round into the "Eat yer wirds" cannon everytime someone on this board writes off/badmouths Ilya.

I look forward to them all praising him in the future seasons I hope he chooses to spend in NJ.

koolaid.gif I'm drinkin the Kovy-Aid. koolaid.gif

C'mon! Ilya!

Oh B.S.! He looked at this thread and was all "Epic, I'm home!"

This is excellent we keep him but bad because SD is going to have a "told you so" attitude!

I WELCOME SD WITH OPEN TYPING FINGERS! (that's three fingers btw)

theres gonna be alot of people eating their hats smile.gif

And I saw someone sed they'd eat their jersey, gotta go find that one! smilydev.gif

Elais-Arnott-Kovalchuk is going to be a good line. Arnott is real good down low. With Kovy and Elias' shots there's going to be a great chance for deflections and rebounds.

EAK! .... line! Looks Scarey!!!!

dchesnokov

Kovalchuk's mother tells Pavel Lysenkov of Sovetsky Sport that Kovalchuk's deal with #NJD is for 17 years.

Ilya Mom's the bomb! She's got all the 411 and loose lips!! banana.gif

Woohoo in your face Kovalchuk's wife

I would!

Welcome home Kovy! I just saw this info on TSN and had to come over to celebrate w/ my fellow Devils fans.

I am anxious to see what Lou has up his sleeve in terms of the contract.

Holly

2 Posts! Kovy thread pullin em outta the woodworks!!! Stick around more Holly!!!

Check and Mate.

No, Tver Oblast mate. giggle.gif

K-17 burnbaby.gif

K-17 - Cup maker!

Edited by Masked Fan

No, Tver Oblast mate. giggle.gif

Well Done. I didn't have that knowledge on the top of my head.

P.S. Masked Fan should win the Mary-Kate Olsen Award for best "bulimic" poster. All his posts nowadays are of the "binge and purge" nature. Just sayin... :whistling:

Edited by ben00rs

This is as exciting as having sex for the first time

Eh... I think it's better than having sex for the first time.... Doin it for the first time is bloody... and painful for some involved... and... not as fun as it should be...

Eh... I think it's better than having sex for the first time.... Doin it for the first time is bloody... and painful for some involved... and... not as fun as it should be...

dont forget the two pumps that you get out of it.......im going to enjoy this for 17 yrs....so in fact you are right this is better haha

@Russostrib Star Trib source on Kovalchuk contract: Goes 6, 6, 5 years of 11.5, 10.5, 8.5, 6.5, 3.5, then 750, 550, 550, 550, 550, 550. AAV: 6 mill

Wait, so $6 mil this year and next, $11.5 mil for the 5 years after that, then declining? Interesting.

I imagine that $11.5 mil leap up during the potential lockout year was the one of the big hangups between him and LA.

Though under this format, I don't think the NHL can challenge it strictly on the numbers (the whole $ decrease/minimum payment being a certain % of the next lowest or something - that $3.5 mil towards the end seems like it would take care of that issue, I would guess).

@Russostrib Star Trib source on Kovalchuk contract: Goes 6, 6, 5 years of 11.5, 10.5, 8.5, 6.5, 3.5, then 750, 550, 550, 550, 550, 550. AAV: 6 mill

What

So the first 2 years are 6 million dollars each, then 5 years of 11.5?

edit:

Any idea if he has a NTC??? I hope not.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

Interesting that the leap in $ comes during the potential work-stoppage year; earlier reports said that was a sticking point with LA, that Kovalchuk didn't want to potentially lose out on the greatest sum of money if there were no season.

I'm just assuming he gets one. They're standard operating procedure at this point.

I'd really only be annoyed if it's a NMC like the Devils gave to Elias. But I'm pretty much expecting that to be part of it, really.

What

So the first 2 years are 6 million dollars each, then 5 years of 11.5?

edit:

oh okay this makes way more sense now, i didn't understand it either until you explained it. having the first two years be 6 million makes sense from a devils budget standpoint, although i hope it's not like vanderbeek trying to pump up the value of the team with some deep playoff runs and then selling the team off.

the deal would go like this:

6 6 11.5 11.5 11.5 11.5 11.5 10.5 8.5 6.5 3.5 750k 550k 550k 550k 550k 550k

very interesting stuff, if that's true. if the NHL changes to a cap hit is what you're being paid in a given year system, that's a bit of trouble for new jersey in year 3, but if we miss that whole year due to a lockout, it wouldn't be that big a deal.

obviously he has an NTC. who knows when it kicks in, but knowing lou, probably right away and for the whole deal.

Edited by Triumph

Star Ledger/Chere: Dainius Zubrus: Huge move to sign Kovalchuk is to shake up Devils

Zubrus said some big names could be on their way out of New Jersey.

"Yeah, I think so," he said. "There's going to have to be something done. I don't know all the numbers, but I'm pretty sure we're over the cap. I don't think anybody knows what will happen, but something will." ...

"Am I worried? I don't know. It's tough for me to say," Zubrus said. "Do I wake up in the morning and worry if I'm going to be traded? No. I don't think that way.

"I hope I'm not traded. I want to be on this team. I want to stay here. I believe we're a good team. I really like the pickups of (Anton) Volchenkov and (Henrik) Tallinder. I played with Tallinder in Buffalo. Even though it was a while back, I played with Volchenkov in the World Cup. He was younger and didn't play that much. He's a grown man now."

Edited by David Puddy

This is so going in my sig. Its Єklund's (2.3% accurate)'s update from whenever (last night or before Kovy signed today):

My key source in this situation believes it's 80-20 Kovalchuk agrees to sign with the Kings by noon tomorrow west coast time.
Edited by nmigliore

very interesting stuff, if that's true. if the NHL changes to a cap hit is what you're being paid in a given year system, that's a bit of trouble for new jersey in year 3, but if we miss that whole year due to a lockout, it wouldn't be that big a deal.

I would think (hope) that any rule changes like that would have some grandfather clause of some sort to allow this contract's cap hit to stand at 6 million.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman