Sign in to follow this  
DevsFan7545

New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

you know what the payout structure tells me - certainly year 3 and quite possibly 4 and 5 are going to be made of HUGE signing bonuses and less actual salary to get kovy paid even if there's a lockout.

I have to stop this -- I have horny dogs whining and I have to make smoked salmon sushi rolls.... and I wish I had a good beer.... a mint julep just won't cut it... but I don't want to go get beer -- that's ... well... a dude thing to do. and My dude is out tonight... and all our wine is too good to pop on my own ... see???? I KNEW we shoudl have gotten the half bottles -- but noooooo they were almost twice the price... :blahblah:

but seriously --- I want to find Rolston a nice home where he can feel reall.... hey.... Canes? I'm so happy for Brindy -- they retiring t=his number yeah? how adorable is that??? I hope I didn't just misread something --- Oh my gosh my daughter is cracking up over Arthur... god I love her. OK -- so anyhow == dinner... at 7pm -- I suck!

im in Australia so waking up is perfect timing for this news!

Also, a few days ago i started trying to plan a trip to LA to see the SJ/Ana/LA vs Devils games cos its a cheaper option, and i have a mate who is an LA fan that will already be going to the LA/NJ game.

so this is all perfect :)

i was pissed off at the length of time it took to re-sign, and for a while, the media made it look all about the money, hence why i was pissed.

but damn, welcome back Kovy! :)

not you ben00 --- but that smilie dude and those gloves... yahoo_loser.gif

I see these emoticons more as slaves (cursed to perpetually repeat the same movements for all of eternity) to us forum junkies than anything else. If it wins, I still take credit for the win.

P.S. To anyone who wants some bowing smileys

Edited by ben00rs

Craig Custance's twitter

After seeing the structure of Kovalchuk's contract, Lombardi said they weren't even close: "We weren't even in the ballpark."

What was their rumored high contract? 80 mil or something?

Craig Custance's twitter

What was their rumored high contract? 80 mil or something?

Wow, very interesting post CA.

Rumor (now confirmed in the twitter you posted) was 15 years at 80 million.

Edited by ben00rs

Wow, very interesting post CA.

Rumor (now confirmed in the twitter you posted) was 15 years at 80 million.

Guess I should have just kept looking down.

I saw the break down done by a couple people earlier but I thought I'd copy the unconfirmed list from CapGeek to lay it out a little easier:

2010-2011 $6,000,000

2011-2012 $6,000,000

2012-2013 $11,500,000

2013-2014 $11,500,000

2014-2015 $11,500,000

2015-2016 $11,500,000

2016-2017 $11,500,000

2017-2018 $10,500,000

2018-2019 $8,500,000

2019-2020 $6,500,000

2020-2021 $3,500,000

2021-2022 $750,000

2022-2023 $550,000

2023-2024 $550,000

2024-2025 $550,000

2025-2026 $550,000

2026-2027 $550,000

Edit: Yeesh, that didn't translate well. Here's just the years and actual salary paid. Cap hit being 6 mil.

Edited by CADevilsFan

My phone was going nuts today. When I got the first text I really thought it was my brother joking with me. :lol: So happy about this! Love the way Lou structured the contract too, my faith has been restored!

I wish I could smoke a bowl in celebration but alas I cannot.

Wow.

For a team that's supposedly not making all that much money this is quite a commitment. 11.5 million dollars a year for 5 years?

He will be paid 6.5 million in 2019 when he will be 36 turning 37.

The cap hit is nice, but holy crap that's a lot of money for the Devils.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

I wish I could smoke a bowl in celebration but alas I cannot.

That's exactly what I'm doing right now!

Wow.

For a team that's supposedly not making all that much money this is quite a commitment. 11.5 million dollars a year for 5 years?

I imagine that something similar with Parise will happen too.

Wow.

Maybe they're counting on the revenue they'll be getting from the Nets.

Still, for a team that hasn't turned a profit in a while, the amount of money they're paying out, irrespective of salary cap issues, does make me a little antsy.

That's exactly what I'm doing right now!

For real?

I'm just not a pot smoker. Seriously -- in fact what with the Russian connection this WOULD be me if I was smokin' a bowl at this very moment :rolleyes:

just trauma - :whistling:

oohh sheeit I'm looking at all those Ed Grimley videos -- seriously -- that IS me on weed. I never did it again after my freshman year... trauma.

Edited by Pepperkorn

capgeek

#nhl #njdevils Ilya Kovalchuk gets an NMC 2010-11 to 2016-17 and an NTC 2018-19 to 2026-27 (one-year window to move) http://bit.ly/droQnQ

Excellent move by Lou to have that 1 year where Kovy can be traded at will.

Edited by Amberite

CapGeek continues to impress.

Yep, NMC and NTC... best of both worlds for Kovy. The NMC should be a moot point barring injury, but that NTC was probably a sticking point for Kovy... it kicks in prior to the years where his salary starts to "really" decrease ($8.5, $6.5, $3.5, $.750, $.550...).

Then again, that does also mean it kicks in when Kovy is turning 35, and I imagine the Devils would consider trying to trade him then if his skills have diminished and he's no longer worth the return.

SO

Given that this offer was very likely on the table for a while (it had been rumored since a few weeks ago). And Lou BADLY outbid the Kings for his services... Is it safe to say Kovalchuk (or his wife) didn't really want to be in NJ all that much? Why go through the constant dancing with the Kings? If he really wanted NJ wouldn't he have picked NJ when this offer or something similar came to him?

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

For real?

I'm just not a pot smoker. Seriously -- in fact what with the Russian connection this WOULD be me if I was smokin' a bowl at this very moment :rolleyes:

just trauma - :whistling:

oohh sheeit I'm looking at all those Ed Grimley videos -- seriously -- that IS me on weed. I never did it again after my freshman year... trauma.

I've been on the legalization bandwagon for many years- but that's a discussion for a different time and place at this point. That discussion probably would've been perfect for, like, page 173. :P

SO

Given that this offer was very likely on the table for a while (it had been rumored since a few weeks ago). And Lou BADLY outbid the Kings for his services... Is it safe to say Kovalchuk (or his wife) didn't really want to be in NJ all that much? Why go through the constant dancing with the Kings? If he really wanted NJ wouldn't he have picked NJ when this offer or something similar came to him?

Lombardi could be saving face. There is no way to truly know what they had offered Kovy. "Way off" sounds like an exaggeration, to say the least. How way off could they have been, when the contract only has a cap hit of $6M?

SO

There's a difference between not wanting to be someplace and perhaps preferring another location, which is where I think LA comes in. It's all rumors also, but I think the last time around it was the Kings that invited Kovy out to LA, so why not at least see what's out there.

Whatever went down, I don't think it'll affect his play.

Lombardi could be saving face. There is no way to truly know what they had offered Kovy. "Way off" sounds like an exaggeration, to say the least. How way off could they have been, when the contract only has a cap hit of $6M?

To the extent you can trust what any "sources" have had to say about this, apparently the final offer from the Kings was 15 years $80 million. Pro athletes are in a different world than the rest of us, but I think it's safe to say $20 million counts as being "way off."

I've been on the legalization bandwagon for many years- but that's a discussion for a different time and place at this point. That discussion probably would've been perfect for, like, page 173. :P

My husband is so with you. He says I must not know how to smoke it properly - he was a pothead in high school - says it made him stupid without a doubt but he misses the tranquilization sometimes these days. Tranquil -- SOOO not me. Paranoiac.. yes but -- now this thread is back in business -- or out of business so... yeah.

This Kovalchuk deal does look pretty decent to me. I dont think it's out of line - maybe there will be deflation but I don't think so - ten million will be normal soon enough.

To the extent you can trust what any "sources" have had to say about this, apparently the final offer from the Kings was 15 years $80 million. Pro athletes are in a different world than the rest of us, but I think it's safe to say $20 million counts as being "way off."

While I agree with you, Lombardi is on record stating that the 15yr/$80M offer never happened, and that their offer was much lower:

helenenothelen: Lombardi add: he and the Kings were a lot more than $20 million apart. ''not even in the ballpark."

Again, it just sounds like saving face to me. I really doubt their offer was that low.

Edited by Amberite