Sign in to follow this  
DevsFan7545

New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

Whatever you do don't go read the comments on TSN. Just a bunch of canadian fans bitching.

DevilMinder    380

Dear DM:

I love the banner but as the Keeper of Kovy I feel it is my duty to pathetically politely beg request that something Kovy be added to thefront page permanentally.

I leave the real banners to UnderDogX since his skills are way beyond mine and we wanna stay professional looking.

Neb00rs    184

I leave the real banners to UnderDogX since his skills are way beyond mine and we wanna stay professional looking.

Dear UnderDogX:

CC: DM

I love the banner but as the Keeper of Kovy I feel it is my duty to pathetically politely beg request that something Kovy be added to thefront page permanentally.

Fixed. :evil:

Edited by ben00rs

Still cannot believe this. Man this has been an awesome offseason so far for Devils fans. Is it October 8th yet?

Neb00rs    184

Who can sleep honestly? So excited...

You mean before October or just tonight? Just checking.

njdevs89    0

Why 17 years though? Most players who play into their late 40's are defencemen, not Russians who will break down in their mid 30's...

Why 17 years though? Most players who play into their late 40's are defencemen, not Russians who will break down in their mid 30's...

It's for the cap hit to be low. He will retire before he's 40

Neb00rs    184

Can we please get a Cap F.A.Q. up and running somewhere? There's no point explaining how it works over and over again

ThreeCups    19

It is amazing how many people on here do not realize why the deal was structured as it is, and believe that the signing of Kovy means we will not retain Zach. WAKE UP PEOPLE! We will 100% lock Zach up long term, COUNT ON IT! Lou is not an idiot, and once ZP is signed longterm, we will have 2 of the top 10 forwards in the game playing for the DEVILS for years to come!

Can someone explain why he is only making $6 million the next 2 years before jumping up to 11.5? I'm confizzled.

My guess is in deference to Brodeur. Marty will remain the highest paid Devil until his contract runs out, then Kovy takes over that mantle.

Also, a load of money comes off the books that year.

Triumph    642

My guess is in deference to Brodeur. Marty will remain the highest paid Devil until his contract runs out, then Kovy takes over that mantle.

Also, a load of money comes off the books that year.

elias is paid more than brodeur.

Yeah, I just went and looked at the contract numbers and realized that was way off. Was hoping to just slide back in here and edit, should have known better in this thread. :P

Neb00rs    184

Right. But, TLOA got it right in the end with the "money off the books" point.

Triumph    642

anyway, if i can be sentimental for a second, before i start yelling at kovalchuk in october for overstaying shifts and whatever:

kovalchuk was the first player to make the NHL who was younger than I am. I'm pretty sure for 50% of the board that happened rather more recently or not at all, but it's an odd moment. i've always enjoyed watching him - when i first got center ice in 2006, atlanta and washington were the two teams i'd watch most often. perhaps kovalchuk's talents are best viewed from afar, i guess we'll find that out - but it's nice to add an almost lock HOFer to the team, in his prime. now let's hope that maclean et al can teach him a few things along the way.

Right. But, TLOA got it right in the end with the "money off the books" point.

But if the cap hit is 6 million every season it shouldn't matter.

Jerzey    197

Numbers that will be retired by 2025...

15 (Maybe)

27 (Maybe)

njdevs89    0

Even still. This guy isn't Ovechkin. I would never pay him more than Ovechkin. Ovechkin is better. I'm happy we re-signed him though. Just, I feel a baaaaaaaad case of Karma around the corner about this long term deal. I'm pretty sure every one of us on here was bad mouthing Philly and Chicago for their long term deals they made last summer, or even what the Isles did a few years ago... but on the brighter side, maybe because we've spent so much money and have a star player to re-sign next year, we'll actually make it past the first round and even to the finals, just like Philly and Chicago?

But if the cap hit is 6 million every season it shouldn't matter.

It'll matter to Vanderbeek that he's not paying Kovy 11.5 million while still paying Rolston 5 mil, etc. It'll have no effect on the cap, but I would imagine that the Devils don't want to be sinking a ridiculous amount into player salary every year. The six mil the first two years gives them the ability to not add a ton to the player payroll until the third year of the deal, when other bad deals expire.

Neb00rs    184

anyway, if i can be sentimental for a second, before i start yelling at kovalchuk in october for overstaying shifts and whatever:

kovalchuk was the first player to make the NHL who was younger than I am. I'm pretty sure for 50% of the board that happened rather more recently or not at all, but it's an odd moment. i've always enjoyed watching him - when i first got center ice in 2006, atlanta and washington were the two teams i'd watch most often. perhaps kovalchuk's talents are best viewed from afar, i guess we'll find that out - but it's nice to add an almost lock HOFer to the team, in his prime. now let's hope that maclean et al can teach him a few things along the way.

Since we're going down the sentimental road, I thought I'd take shot.

It's time I address the whole "Kovy didn't even want NJ so this isn't that great" thing.

Did Kovy want to play in NJ more than LA?...I don't know but it surely doesn't seem like it. But where does that become a bad thing or not understandable? New Jersey is not the kind of place anybody just falls in love with off the bat. Did Scott Stevens love New Jersey as soon as he got here? Probably not.

That's the beauty of having an unsure player like Kovy on the Devils. We will all be able to watch as his heart turns red (o wait...that doesn't make...o whatever). We will watch as New Jersey grows on Kovy and he learns to love the place. It's not something materialistic (see: LA) that makes living/playing here special. It's something more intangible, something invisible in the air (no, not the swamp odors).

The point is that no matter what Kovy wanted (and he's only a 27 year old - relatively a kid) he ended up here. It was his destiny to sign here and it is his destiny to learn how to play Devils hockey, bring Cups to NJ and become an integral part of the state.

Yesterday Kovy wanted to live in LA rather than NJ, just as anybody who's never lived here would. Today he is a Devil. And somewhere down the line he will find that Scott Stevens-like loyalty and want nothing more than to live in NJ and be a Devil.

I can't wait to watch it happen before my eyes and to cheer him on for the next 17 years and beyond.

It'll matter to Vanderbeek that he's not paying Kovy 11.5 million while still paying Rolston 5 mil, etc. It'll have no effect on the cap, but I would imagine that the Devils don't want to be sinking a ridiculous amount into player salary every year. The six mil the first two years gives them the ability to not add a ton to the player payroll until the third year of the deal, when other bad deals expire.

Ohhhhh THAT makes sense, thanks!

Neb00rs    184

Right. Just because you can get around the cap doesn't mean you don't have a budget. I'm sure they're trying to make a profit too. We're not the NYY, we don't have unlimited funds.