Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DevsFan7545

New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

12,307 posts in this topic

I just don't see how you can start at this contract when you already allowed the Hossa, Richards, and Pronger deals.

Hossa deal is the very same thing...Lou will win in court and the NHL will look stupid.

it's not the same thing. kovalchuk's deal goes longer than anyone else's.

Wow...I mean right after the press conference? You know Lou was caught off guard by this

Unless the NHL has evidence that Kovy does not plan to play out his deal, the contract is legit.

Playing at age 44 (especiallly a player of Ilya's skill level) is not unheard of.

Unless the NHL has evidence that Kovy does not plan to play out his deal, the contract is legit.

Playing at age 44 (especiallly a player of Ilya's skill level) is not unheard of.

see: Gordie freaking Howe

Exactly (See Chris Chelios)

The length of the contract isn't what is in question, I would say its the age at which they are when the contract ends. How old is Hossa when his contract is up?

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

it is exceptionally rare. as far as i know the only players who have played at age 44 are howe and chelios.

the nhl would have to allow a 15 year deal, though, which at 102 million would put kovalchuk's cap hit at 6.8.

I'd hate to be in the room when Lou received that news, holy crap.

hide the jelly

Well make it 15...no big deal here

unless he takes a discount on the price, the cap hit goes from 6 a year to 6.8

he'd have to take less money

The length of the contract isn't what is in question, I would say its the age at which they are when the contract ends. How old is Hossa when his contract is up?

i mean the same thing. hossa is 42 when his contract ends. so is pronger, i believe.

Curious if Lou will take this to court. There is precedent with the Zetterberg, Hossa, Franzen, and Pronger contracts, though Kovy's contract goes much farther in terms of the difference between largest salary and cap hit. Though to be fair the way the money is spread out in the front end is very different... If I were Lou I'd argue that the average value over the "big" years of the contract (1st 10) is only 8.8m, which is actually not very different from the aforementioned contracts.

Difference btw largest year and cap hit

Pronger: 7.6 - 4.9 = 2.7

Hossa: 7.9 - 5.275 = 2.625

Zetterberg: 7.4 - 6.1 = 1.3

Franzen: 5.5 - 4.9 = 1.6

Kovy: 11.5 - 6 = 5.5

Huge difference there, but if you take the average given above (over the 1st 10 years), you get:

Kovy: 8.8 - 6 = 2.8

That's in line with Pronger's contract, which goes to age 42.

Edited by David Puddy

First we had the "Brodeur Rule" and now we have the "Kovy Rule".

Bettman hates us

first we had Nashville

Curious if Lou will take this to court. There is precedent with the Zetterberg, Hossa, Franzen, and Pronger contracts, though Kovy's contract goes much farther in terms of the difference between largest salary and cap hit. Though to be fair the way the money is spread out in the front end is very different... If I were Lou I'd argue that the average value over the "big" years of the contract (1st 10) is only 8.8m, which is actually not very different from the aforementioned contracts.

Difference btw largest year and cap hit

Pronger: 7.6 - 4.9 = 2.7

Hossa: 7.9 - 5.275 = 2.625

Zetterberg: 7.4 - 6.1 = 1.3

Franzen: 5.5 - 4.9 = 1.6

Kovy: 11.5 - 6 = 5.5

Huge difference there, but if you take the average given above (over the 1st 10 years), you get:

Kovy: 8.8 - 6 = 2.8

That's in line with Pronger's contract, which goes to age 42.

Again, it doesn't matter WHAT he is paid. The only way the NHL can veto this is if they have evidence that Kovy plans to retire on year 12. Otherwise, having a 43 year old player with a 6 mill cap hit is.. not circumventing the cap.

I always defend Gary, he's my fraternity brother and I usually agree with his decisions, but this is BULLSH**

Eh I have faith that Lou will shove his foot right down gary's throat on this one. NHL just has to show face. They couldn't 'allow' this to go through. They'd look foolish.

Pronger gets approval, Hossa gets approval and this doesn't? BS! I think the Devils have a case to sue.

Edited by Jerrydevil

I see what's going on here.

Clearly the NHL couldn't handle the thought of this thread going away. We're gonna hit 300 and well beyond now.