Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DevsFan7545

New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

12,307 posts in this topic

IMO a quick resolution or even filling a grievance would have shown a sign of the NHLPA being sure there has been no CBA violation it also would help the Devils in regards to trades and reducing the cap, they are saying that it could take some time to agree on a arbitrator since there is none in place and both sides need to agree.

Unless they have another contract already to go then I could see the let's make them sweat mentality.

As a fan I believe this is a done deal but then again with all the turns on this roller coaster ride named Kovy who knows!

the NHLPA filing a quick grievance doesnt mean anything. in terms of everything that is stated black & white in the CBA, this contract violates NOTHING.

however, its the vague (key word) "circumvention" clause that is probably why the PA is taking their 5 days.

the Devils are allowed to make trades and sign other players during this time. i also think Kovalchuk wants to be a Devil, regardless of whether he gets this particular contract.

Someone really should print this thread, have Kovy sign it, and then auction it off for charity or something.

I could be wrong since I was young but wasn't he one of the original spokesmen of anti-clutching/grabbing? I remember him bitching every time someone played defense.

I think his complaintrs were more that Gretzky got very preferential treatment from the refs and he didn't. I know a lot of Québécois thought it was because he was French, but Gretzky whined non-stop and did receive preferential treatment. A lot of it is simply reputation though as well - if someone calls you a crybaby once it will last forever.

Edited by jim777

Someone really should print this thread, have Kovy sign it, and then auction it off for charity or something.

I don't know about that...If Kovy signs it, Ebay might not allow it.

They should I mean they have let at least three or four other auctions like this go past with little or no notice....

ESPN SportsNation Poll on the Kovalchuk contract... I found it on a Devils Blog

SportsNation Poll Map

wow, no bias there. all the fans of teams that wish they could have him. they're voting with jealousy. and if this goes through, they'll be talking about it all season. Every time we play an away game, it'll come up in an interview. :rolleyes:

in the immortal words on the new bud light commercials: "HERE WEEEE GOOOO!"

I know this is a long shot, but since everyone is pretty much pessimistic, what do you think the odds are that Kovalchuk will sign for less money/years? Is that a run on sentence? I need to start learning grammar again.

well if he is serious about being a devil, and wants to prove it's not for the money -at least not totally- then it'd be in his best interest to be prepared to accept a smaller sum, should it come to that. we'd then have proof that he was serious when he said "this is team".

i am not worried. i have a feeling he is going to be a Devil :burn:

All I'm saying is, this better be official before the Ice Jerseys Summer Sale is over. I want to get my Kovy jersey!

Bettman, not only are you pissing me off, but you are now costing me money...Sh-thead.

Edited by mmajeski06

pirit.jpg

Because this thread has been lacking this lately. And because there is nothing new going on.

Edited by mmajeski06

Find an Arbitor were going the hard way. :P

Clearly, the signing of a 347-page thread is in violation of the CBA. It's right next to the clause about 17-year contracts.

pirit.jpg

Because this thread has been lacking this lately. And because there is nothing new going on.

Love how the Ninja cast no shadow, sexy.

This from the NY Post:

NHL could fine Devils for Ilya deal

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/devils/nhl_could_fine_devs_for_ilya_deal_eDGrq79q39al96Nmvg6d9J

A league source said the NHL is not threatening, but also not dismissing the possibility that the Devils might be liable for a fine of at least $1 million. The fine could go up to $5 million should an arbitrator finds that their $102 million, 17-year contract is indeed a circumvention of the collective bargaining agreement.

Edited by Rock

This from the NY Post:

http://www.nypost.co...q39al96Nmvg6d9J

A league source said the NHL is not threatening, but also not dismissing the possibility that the Devils might be liable for a fine of at least $1 million. The fine could go up to $5 million should an arbitrator finds that their $102 million, 17-year contract is indeed a circumvention of the collective bargaining agreement.

Legal Maneuvering and posturing. The arbitrator, more than likely, will prevent this from happening in his settlement

This From Brooks - NY Post

Bettman’s Kovalchuk prosecution merely a temper tantrum

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/devils/bettman_kovalchuk_prosecution_merely_WDABBuMECwc5Mu0780RP4I

Bettman's ill-advised quest to impose a one-size-fits-all cap onto 30 teams with varying needs and constituencies is in tatters. The Kovalchuk contract, which meets every legal standard outlined in the collective bargaining agreement, is merely the latest example of a powerful team acting creatively in order to keep as much of its personnel intact as possible.

This case isn't about big market vs. small market, not with the Devils ranking between 13th and 16th in league revenues, though that's the umbrella under which the commissioner fights every battle. This one is simply about Bettman stamping his feet in a temper tantrum and using his power to force a moribund NHLPA to gear up and fight a fight it may or may not be prepared to wage.

The NHL hard-cap CBA doesn't necessarily discriminate against big-market clubs, it discriminates against successful clubs. The Devils aren't good because they have a high payroll, they have a high payroll because they've been a standard of excellence since the early '90s. The same applies to franchises like Detroit and Philadelphia, teams with ownerships that desperately want to win.

Edited by Rock

This From Brooks - NY Post

Bettman’s Kovalchuk prosecution merely a temper tantrum

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/devils/bettman_kovalchuk_prosecution_merely_WDABBuMECwc5Mu0780RP4I

Bettman's ill-advised quest to impose a one-size-fits-all cap onto 30 teams with varying needs and constituencies is in tatters. The Kovalchuk contract, which meets every legal standard outlined in the collective bargaining agreement, is merely the latest example of a powerful team acting creatively in order to keep as much of its personnel intact as possible.

This case isn't about big market vs. small market, not with the Devils ranking between 13th and 16th in league revenues, though that's the umbrella under which the commissioner fights every battle. This one is simply about Bettman stamping his feet in a temper tantrum and using his power to force a moribund NHLPA to gear up and fight a fight it may or may not be prepared to wage.

The NHL hard-cap CBA doesn't necessarily discriminate against big-market clubs, it discriminates against successful clubs. The Devils aren't good because they have a high payroll, they have a high payroll because they've been a standard of excellence since the early '90s. The same applies to franchises like Detroit and Philadelphia, teams with ownerships that desperately want to win.

Sometimes children get their way when they have a tempter tantrum. Hopefully this isn't one of those times.

This from Slam Sports:

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists/Simmons/2010/07/24/14819231.html

What the Devil was he thinking?

Considering Lamoriello’s close professional relationship with NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and his right hand man, Bill Daly, it’s almost impossible to imagine that Lamoriello didn’t know the league would object to the more than $100 million contract. In fact, many believe Lamoriello would have made the league aware of the deal before going public with the details.

Which begs the question: What exactly is Lamoriello’s game here?

This from the NY Post:

http://www.nypost.co...q39al96Nmvg6d9J

Legal Maneuvering and posturing. The arbitrator, more than likely, will prevent this from happening in his settlement

Yeah, that's really desperate and low of Bettman. The NHL has a lot to lose here though; if Kovy's contract goes through then anything ecen the slightest bit less will need to be approved simply on Kovy's precedent. Lots of teams might decide to lock up all their talent right now before the new CBA comes in and the NHL wouldn't be able to do anything about it. The whole mess has a lot of repurcussions and it will be really intersting to see how this all plays out.