• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DevsFan7545

New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

12,307 posts in this topic

this is the exact thing i thought of when i saw the picture/quote from TR as i was recapping, well played!

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists/Simmons/2010/09/04/15250286.html

How long before the New Jersey Devils regret signing Ilya Kovalchuk to a 15-year contract? One year? Five years? Five minutes? What seemed lost in all the byplay of whether his contract would be approved, whether Gary Bettman has become the nastiest commissioner in sport, whether the NHLPA actually exists, was the question of why. Why would anyone believe you can build a team around Kovalchuk? And if you believe that, as the Devils clearly do based on the $100-million US they are prepared to spend, what are you basing that belief on?

Martin Brodeur won't be around much longer. The Devils haven't been a playoff factor of any kind since before the lockout. Their best defencemen -- Scott Stevens, Scott Niedermayer, Brian Rafalski and Paul Martin -- have either retired or moved on. Maybe, short term, the Devils will get some value from Kovalchuk, the goal-scorer. But not 15 years worth. Not 10 years worth. This isn't a gamble as much as it is an enormous investment: An investment that will not, cannot pay off long-term.

We're not building the team around Kovalchuk.

when you drop THAT much money at him you damn well are!

$6.66 mil isn't "THAT much." It's what you would expect to pay a first-line type of player. It's a steal considering it's a two-time 50 goal-scorer. Kovalchuk is going to be a big part of the team's core, but we're not "building around" him. We already have Parise, Zajac, Elias, Brodeur, etc. He's just a piece of the puzzle.

$6.66 mil isn't "THAT much." It's what you would expect to pay a first-line type of player. It's a steal considering it's a two-time 50 goal-scorer. Kovalchuk is going to be a big part of the team's core, but we're not "building around" him. We already have Parise, Zajac, Elias, Brodeur, etc. He's just a piece of the puzzle.

over 15 years??

you don't sign role-players to 15 year contracts sir

we are building a team around kovie and parise, no need to deny that. we should get a goalie as well to ensure a smooth transition.

There's money, and than there's the cap hit. From the money standpoint, that's something none of us can know for sure, since we don't know exactly what the Devils finances are. But I think we can deduce that while what the team is paying Kovalchuk will probably preclude the team from making a huge free agency splash for the foreseeable future, it won't be a deal breaker so far as locking up Parise long term. Plus, we don't know (wink, wink) how much of the deal he's actually going to play out before he goes to Russia, retires or approves a deal to another team down the road.

From a cap hit standpoint, we're not. The Rangers dumped more cap space into Drury, Gomez and Gaborik, and about the same amount for Lunqvist and Redden, but no one would say the Rangers are/were built around any one of those players. And once Elias is gone, we'll have only two players with a $6 to $7 million cap hit for the foreseeable future (Parise of course, hopefully, being the other one).

we are building a team around kovie and parise, no need to deny that. we should get a goalie as well to ensure a smooth transition.

That's probably true. But the article made it sound like the Devils were going to have the same strategy as the Thrashers. It's plainly not the case.

That's probably true. But the article made it sound like the Devils were going to have the same strategy as the Thrashers. It's plainly not the case.

Right, this is what I was saying. We're not "building around him" in the sense that he's our only legit player and the rest is just scrubs/young guys. We have a team and Kovy is part of it going forward, along with Parise.

When did I say he was a role-player?

I used an analogy to say that you don't commit THAT many years with someone without the intent of them being a cornerstone over those years, sorry it shot over your head

I used an analogy to say that you don't commit THAT many years with someone without the intent of them being a cornerstone over those years, sorry it shot over your head

He was signed to 15 years because that was the only possible way we could afford him. We didn't sign him that length just so we could label him the new "cornerstone" of the franchise. It was just the only way we could get him.

Chicago signed Hossa to a long-term contract last year. Would you say they're building their team around him now? Of course not. He's part of a core with Toews, Kane, etc. It is the same way with Kovalchuk. He is a part of a core of forwards. Understand now? Or should I go over it some more for you?

finally some action in this thread :clap2:

He was signed to 15 years because that was the only possible way we could afford him. We didn't sign him that length just so we could label him the new "cornerstone" of the franchise. It was just the only way we could get him.

Chicago signed Hossa to a long-term contract last year. Would you say they're building their team around him now? Of course not. He's part of a core with Toews, Kane, etc. It is the same way with Kovalchuk. He is a part of a core of forwards. Understand now? Or should I go over it some more for you?

wow, tomato/tomatoe here... so a guy's part of the core but not what you build the team around??? Alrighty then!!!

If you don't feel THAT confident in a guy and his abilities to be a MAJOR part of the team... you don't sign him for a DECADE AND A HALF "only way to get him" or NOT.... that's like marrying a girl cause she's cute and winked at you.... simple enough???