Neb00rs

George Steinbrenner Dead.

38 posts in this topic

He was 80 and hasnt been seen in public in a few years now. I cant say its a shock, but its definitely a surprise considering the timing.

The all-star game and the rest of the Yankees season will be very interesting.

I was absolutely shocked when I heard this when I woke up this morning. He was no doubt one of the most influential people in the history of baseball. I still kind of don't believe it.

RIP

Edited by nyrsuck26

Rest in peace. One of the biggest influences on tri-state sports. For better or worse he will be remembered as a driving force behind the Yankees amd MLB in general.

Simply the best. God Bless You George. RIP

Right on the heels of Sheppard. Wow! What a week for the Yankee fans.

Obviously he's a huge figure in Yankees history, but if I'm remembering this correctly, he's even bigger because of how he bought the team when New York was in a Newark-like decline and chose to keep them there when others thought they should relocate. That was probably a very propitious moment for the city as a whole.

RIP George. You really were the best owner on the planet. Thanks for the 7 trophies while you were here. No better way to go out then on the heels of the 2009 title. Thanks George, for everything

George Steinbrenner found out today that you can buy championships...but you can't buy your way into heaven.

George Steinbrenner found out today that you can buy championships...but you can't buy your way into heaven.

You are a pathetic human being. So in two separate threads about people dying, you have made fun of them/insulted them. I'm looking very much forward to the "'7' has died today =[ " thread started, so I can post a " :rofl: " smiley face in it. I hope you get fvcked by an AIDS dick so you can die slowly.

Yeah he was a terrible person, ignore the fact that he donated millions of dollars to various charities throughout his life and the only condition it carried was that it was anonymous :rolleyes:

RIP George

Yeah he was a terrible person, ignore the fact that he donated millions of dollars to various charities throughout his life and the only condition it carried was that it was anonymous :rolleyes:

RIP George

he also took care of all the old players, giving them jobs in spring training and making sure they were alright. One of a kind

This post certainly isn't necessary but anyways: you can't blame Steinbrenner for "buying" championships. It's not against the rules to spend a sh!tload of money if you can. Anyone in his position would have done the same thing. It's the MLB in general that is a joke for not implementing rules against it.

Edited by ben00rs

RIP George. Even coming from a Mets fan he was one of the best (if not the best) GM/owners in all of baseball history. Yankees Org., team, and fans are really being hit with sadness this week. First sheppard then the boss. definitley class act. just one of a kind. RIP.

This is probably the most unclassy things I have ever seen or heard written or spoken.

Don't feed the :troll1:

R.I.P. George thanks for the joy you have given us Yankee fans over the years.

"If you do something good for someone and more than one person knows about it, you did it for the wrong reason." - George Steinbrenner

R.I.P.

First Shep, now The Boss. I am quite saddened by his death. As a life long Yankees fan (I go back to '76), life was never boring when George was in the papers. That said, he bought passion and the Yankees back to the top of the baseball world. God Bless you George.

Mike

Interesting note from TG:

Lamoriello revealed that Steinbrenner watched Game 7 of the Devils’ Stanley Cup win over Anaheim on television from his office at the Meadowlands. Lamoriello said Steinbrenner attended a few Devils’ games during the YankeeNets-Puck Holdings years, but didn’t want to draw attention to himself, so he did not sit in the crowd.

“He wasn’t public,” Lamoriello said. ‘He didn’t go to a lot (of Devils’ games), but he was there for our seventh game. He did things like that because he wanted to not because of publicity. He was never afraid to say what he thought, which is what I admired about him.”

RIP George Steinbrenner

Thanks for restoring the Yankee legacy and commitment to excellence. No owner in the history of sports wanted to win more than you. Heart of a champion. True Yankee legend. You will be missed.

A lot to recall about Big George, but I'll most remember his firings/hirings of Billy Martin. The whole saga went from being serious, to comical, to just plain sad -- for both George and Billy. ... I guess you could say this commercial was during the comical stage.

I really think they should rename the actual Yankee Stadium 'Steinbrenner Field' or 'Steinbrenner Stadium'. The man's impact on the game of baseball, yet alone the Yankees, isn't ever going to be matched.

Tweet of the day from Michael Ian Black:

"Somewhere in heaven, Billy Martin just got fired. RIP George Steinbrenner."

http://riveraveblues.com/2010/07/in-their-words-baseball-remembers-the-boss-31949/

Huge props to the Red Sox and their owner John Henry...really brought me to tears. Extremely classy act on their part...

The Red Sox will honor George Steinbrenner with a moment of silence before the Thursday game at Fenway Park. “I had the good fortune to call George Steinbrenner both partner and friend,” current Boston owner and former Yankee partner John Henry said. “I had the privilege to watch George as he built a system that ensured his beloved Yankees would have a strong foundation for sustained excellence. And then we fiercely competed in the American League. George Steinbrenner forever changed baseball and hopefully some day we will see him honored in baseball’s Hall of Fame as one of the great figures in the history of sports.”

I really think they should rename the actual Yankee Stadium 'Steinbrenner Field' or 'Steinbrenner Stadium'. The man's impact on the game of baseball, yet alone the Yankees, isn't ever going to be matched.

they already named the Tampa field after him. They won't change the normal stadium that so they don't deemphasize the past before Steinbrenner which was where the prestige was built