Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Beezer34

2012 Jets Thread

1,788 posts in this topic

The early part of the schedule is a little rough with this road game against Pittsburgh and then matchups with San Francisco, Houston, and New England in a 4-week span starting in Week 4. After the bye, however, it really gets softer: St. Louis, Arizona, Jacksonville, Buffalo, Tennessee, Seattle (some think those last two (three?) teams could be playoff contenders but I'm not buying that all); winning one of the home games against New England and San Diego could be do-able too (ahem, San Diego).

Give me 4-4 entering the bye and I'll be happy; that would require just beating up on Miami (twice) and Indy. If they steal one in Pittsburgh, 5-3 (which would be excellent) could be pretty realistic but I'm not getting my hopes up.

The entire NFC West is a joke and has been for some time. I almost look at it as the AHL of the NFL. Even San Fran gets a tad overrated playing in that division. They're probably more of a 10-6 team at heart that got bumped to 13-3 last year playing the garbage in that division. Seattle, Arizona, St. Louis. No way those teams should be able to move the ball on us at all

Miami always concerns me because the Jets game is their superbowl. Jax always plays us tough, but they're kind of an anonymous, no name team who we should be able to take care of.

I'm going to get greedy here. 6-2 going into the bye. Losses to Pittsburgh (that's a black hole for us anyway) and New England. Or perhaps we get fired up and beat New England and drop one to Miami.

Miami always concerns me because the Jets game is their superbowl. Jax always plays us tough, but they're kind of an anonymous, no name team who we should be able to take care of.

I'm going to get greedy here. 6-2 going into the bye. Losses to Pittsburgh (that's a black hole for us anyway) and New England. Or perhaps we get fired up and beat New England and drop one to Miami.

..even if you want to say we lose to the Texans in 3 weeks.. and lose to the 49ers the week before that.. BOTH games to the Patriots, and sh!t, even throw in Sunday's game and say the Steelers beat us. That still leaves St. Louis, Arizona, Titans, Jacksonville, Buffalo, Indy, San Diego and Miami two times.

I think 10-6 is a realistic possibility for the Jets this season.. and in a fading AFC, where we were fighting to make the playoffs last season up till the final game of the year (which would've only made us 9-7) 10 wins should be enough for a postseason birth.

Edited by Beezer34

I think we should just be happy we aren't in the NFC. We may not have a good shot at beating the Pats for the division, but the rest of the league is pretty mediocre outside of the top teams in each division. In other words, it shouldn't take much to grab a wild card spot. Pittsburgh could win one spot (or Baltimore if you think Pittsburgh wins the North, which I don't), but who wins the other one? Do the Bengals scare anyone? Do any of the non-Texans AFC South teams scare anyone? I think the biggest competition could come from someone like San Diego or Kansas City, but the Jets should definitely be in that mix, and again, the soft 2nd half of the schedule helps.

The NFC wild card race, on the other hand, could be pretty... wild: 2 of the Eagles, Cowboys, Giants; the Saints or Falcons; 2 of the Packers, Lions, and Bears. I'm not saying it will work out that way, but on paper, you could be looking at 5 pretty good teams in a dog fight for 2 spots. The AFC pales in comparison to that, which is nice for the Jets.

Edited by nmigliore

What an awful, pathetic joke of a team. Looked great for one quarter, yippee. A little adversity and they morphed back into last year's team again, Santonio being a p*ssy, Sanchez being the stiff that can't throw straight, a conservative offense, a defense that bullies bad teams but can't stop good ones, etc.

Well, without Revis this is a far different defense. Plus we can't tackle at all, and when Rapelesberger starts squirming out of tackles...you're dead. They did a decent job against the run when it mattered, but with no consistent pass rush....there is nothing you can do.

Kerley...look the fvcking ball into your hands first

landry with a stupid personal foul (this is something we're going to have to live with with him

I'm not going to be too hard on sanchez...many times it wasn't his fault (cumberland not turning around for the ball) plus no Keller. He's the one guy mark has had consistently and has good chemistry with

plus Greene went out for a while right after we established the running game.

Where was Stephen hill this entire game?

Edited by '7'

Sanchez cowered away once Timmons hit him with that headshot, everything was five yards over a reciever's head after that, other than the few he actually got on target that Holme$ dropped.

I wasn't making Superbowl predictions last week.. and I won't be jumping off bridges after today either. 

Here's the deal.. the Jets played one of the best teams, one of the best defenses, with one of the best quarterbacks in the league. They played them in a place that's very hard to win in.. and they did it without Revis, Keller, Thomas, or Greene for nearly ½ the game. I'm not making excuses here, I'm stating facts. The Steelers had a time-of-possession of nearly 40 minutes! If the Jets won this game, it would've been one of the more impressive regular season victories under Ryan's tenure. They were 7 point underdogs for a reason folks.. and much of that had to do with everything stated above. Pittsburgh hasn't gone 0-2 in over a decade, and today they showed why.

There are a million places to point to that one could try and focus on in why we came up short today. Lack of Tebow\Wildcat.. Kerley's fumble.. Sparano's conservative gameplan.. etc. Even Sanchez's stats could be suspect.. but if our receivers don't drop 8 passes, Sanchez's numbers are fine. Holmes was targeted 11 times.. yet had only 3 receptions. That's unacceptable, and if I'm Rex I send a message to him next week, and have him be a decoy WR. This wasn't a home game, nor was it against a; "team we were supposed to beat" either.

Don't get me wrong.. I'm pissed as hell, because I REALLY wanted this game for multiple reasons. But in the end, it's a long season. We were 1-1 in 2010, and finished 11-5 for the year. We were 2-0 last season, and how'd that turn out?

Edited by Beezer34

The Steelers also didn't have Polamalu and Harrison (not to mention Mendenhall), don't bring up injuries or their great defense.

How many years has it been since New England lost to a team like Arizona at home? History's not reason to lose a game. Not even not to lose, they didn't even belong on the same field the last three quarters.

If they don't win next week they're in deep trouble with Houston, SF, NE, etc ahead. They might be in trouble anyway with how bad this offense is, fluke explosion last week aside.

Edited by NJDevs4978

The Steelers also didn't have Polamalu and Harrison (not to mention Mendenhall), don't bring up injuries or their great defense.

How many years has it been since New England lost to a team like Arizona at home? History's not reason to lose a game. Not even not to lose, they didn't even belong on the same field the last three quarters.

If they don't win next week they're in deep trouble with Houston, SF, NE, etc ahead. They might be in trouble anyway with how bad this offense is, fluke explosion last week aside.

kinda stole my thunder w/that miami comment. is next week a must win if your the jets?

Harrison hasn't practiced in a year.. hasn't had a training camp.. and hasn't played a down of football since January. He may have been more of a liability out there -vs- an asset. Polamalu's a great player, but he's no Revis.

Answer me this Has.. where did you have the Jets after Week 2 when you saw the schedule in July?? Be honest.

It's unfair to dismiss last weeks performace as a fluke, just because the Bills defense isn't ranked #1 like Pittsburgh's. I understand the frustration, but let's be honest. The Jets lost to a better team.. nothing more.

I didn't have them winning but I thought they could win or at least be competitive. Any good they accomplished last week got thrown out this week, it's not that they lost - it's that they looked like they were playing Madden 12 at the All-Madden level their first time using a PS3 controller. Eventually you're going to have to beat 'some' good teams on the road to really win anything.

And to be honest Pittsburgh didn't impress me at all last week when I saw them against Denver. Especially with UPS guys running the ball for them and o-line problems almost as bad as ours. Of course Ben can mask that somewhat with his size and escapability but still.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Yesterday, was such a winable game for the Jets based on Pittsburgh's depleted roster and rookie Offensive line. Jets looked far too intimidated. Thanks for nothing.

Yesterday, was such a winable game for the Jets based on Pittsburgh's depleted roster and rookie Offensive line. Jets looked far too intimidated. Thanks for nothing.

I think Rex & Sparano are still learning about how\when to use Tim Tebow. Thus-far, they've been pretty ass backwards. Last week he does nothing, yet they put him in for a dozen plays. This week we don't see him 'till the 3rd quarter.. his first play in he runs for over 20 yrds.. and then you don't see him again after that.

Steelers in this game were like Packers back on Thursday night: a good team that has too much pride to lose at home to go down 0-2. They needed a victory far more than us in this one. Also, I doubt the Jets have a serious way to make up for playing without Revis. Does any player who doesn't throw the ball matter more to his team than Revis?

your a jets fan manta?

your a jets fan manta?

No offense, but I thought everyone on these pages were quite familiar with my NFL affiliation.

I am not a Jet fan, I am a football fan. But I had Jet season tickets for about 10 years prior to the PSL scam.

I doubt the Jets have a serious way to make up for playing without Revis. Does any player who doesn't throw the ball matter more to his team than Revis?

Bingo!

I think that's what's to be learned here thoughout all of this. (the importance of Revis to this football team) Many people want to bring up the fact that the Bills layed 28 points on us in Week 1, but let's remember.. 2 of Buffalo's TD's came with 6 minutes left in the game! Darrelle got injured with 7 minutes and change left in the 4th quarter, and at that point, the Bills had only scored 2 TD's.

Thus-far this season; in 3½ quarters with Revis, the defense surrendered 14 points. In 4½ quarters without Revis.. 41 points!

http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1164330#bmb=1

..great read in the Daily News today. Sparano basically admitting that he still hasn't learned how\when to use Tim Tebow yet.

I'm not really surprised at this, or mad either to be honest. I figured the whole Tebow\Wildcat thing would be a work-in-progress. I just hope they've mastered it by November.

The whole Wildcat thing is a farce. Bad teams resort to this when nothing else works.

The Jets used to with plenty of success in 09 and 10 with Brad Smith. It's not bad when you catch a defense off guard.

The Jets used to with plenty of success in 09 and 10 with Brad Smith. It's not bad when you catch a defense off guard.

Off guard, implies that the defenses have not prepared for it.

The Jets are very much like Miami, Teams will prepare for it and it will fail to have any impact 9 out of 10 times it used.

I would hardly call the Brad Smith Wildcat Jets anything approaching "success" .

Off guard, implies that the defenses have not prepared for it.

The Jets are very much like Miami, Teams will prepare for it and it will fail to have any impact 9 out of 10 times it used.

I would hardly call the Brad Smith Wildcat Jets anything approaching "success" .

The team or the wildcat package? Because both were quite successful. Smith would rip off 20-30 yard runs with it.

When it comes to Brad Smith and the Wildcat, I gotta agree with 7 on this one.. and the stats don't lie.

*2008: 12 rushing-attempts, 113 yrds.. 9½ yrd avg.

*2009: 20 rushing-attempts, 200 yrds.. 11½ yrd avg.

*2010: 40 rushing-attempts, 300 yrds.. 8 yrd avg.

..his plays were not only exigent, they were timely. They came on 3rd downs, and they would result in 1st downs. They won games.

Can someone explaing to me how fasano drops the ball (does not complete the play, does not go to the ground with possession) and it's ruled a catch?

and how the hell do the jets get a roughing (should've been running into at most) on the end of the half when the fish punter just falls on a jet trying to block the kick?

and now revis...if that's not a season ender I'd be shocked.

Amazingly, Powell looks more like a #1 back than Greene. Greene is a great #2. But we need a #1 who can break tackles. LT could break tackles even on his worst day. Jones didn't have great moves but while he was fresh he went through a lot of arm tackles

Edited by '7'

The Jets are an utter disgrace, Sanchez is awful, we're a total laughingstock right now. Can't even score from the one-yard line.