Are the Devils Now cup contendors?

Found

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read a great article about this and I definitely think having Kovy signed greatly improves our chances of winning it.. what do you guys think?

Heres the article I was reading: http://www.msg.com/blogs/stan-fischler/is-new-jersey-a-stanley-cup-contender-with-kovy-1.49308

This is what alot of people thought last year too. We still need some work done ie. defence and a hard checking but smart 4th line.

They're definitely a "contender" on paper; however it remains to be seen if they can make the most of it and go on a serious run for #30 before he hangs em up....

EDIT: We were pretty much a contender every year since 2003, we just have sh!t the bed every year in horrific fashion....

Edited by ThreeCups

Manta, hopefully you are pro Kovy by about Game 25. He will change your stance!

Let's see how this signing effects our roster. Although he is a skillful player, I am not impressed by the way our Team responded to him after we got him. I will give Johnny-Mac the benefit of the doubt and hopefully, he doesn't fall into the same trap that JL and every other coach that seems to just let him "do his thing".

I think we are a less competitive team with him, but lets see how Johnny-Mac handles him. Ideally, he plays on the third line where he can exploit 3rd defensive pairings and not disrupt ZZ POPS or Elias & Arnott.

??? Change it after Kovy helps us get #4?

I think you can wait on this for a while.

Let's see how this signing effects our roster. Although he is a skillful player, I am not impressed by the way our Team responded to him after we got him. I will give Johnny-Mac the benefit of the doubt and hopefully, he doesn't fall into the same trap that JL and every other coach that seems to just let him "do his thing".

I think we are a less competitive team with him, but lets see how Johnny-Mac handles him. Ideally, he plays on the third line where he can exploit 3rd defensive pairings and not disrupt ZZ POPS or Elias & Arnott.

Manta, with all due respect...PUT DOWN THE CRACK! 3rd line?!?!? You DO NOT give a player a $100 million contract and put him on the 3rd line. (unless his name is Brian Rolston, :giggle:) He will be playing on line 1A (I won't even say 1st and 2nd lines, but line 1 and line 1A) hopefully with Arnott at Center and Elias at RW. A-LINE 2.0 will be a force. First teams must defend ZZ-POPS and then comes A-LINE 2.0. One of the best two line combinations in hockey, if not THE best!

And here 's to hoping I can change my name to "FourCups" this June!

Edited by ThreeCups

There is a huge difference between dropping a player into a team in the last 3rd of a season and letting him start from training camp. Honestly, I was sick and tired of the 'Team' as you put it. They seemed despondent and uninterested at times and a change was needed, and they have had periods of that for a while now.

Manta, with all due respect...PUT DOWN THE CRACK! 3rd line?!?!? You DO NOT give a player a $100 million contract and put him on the 3rd line. (unless his name is Brian Rolston, :giggle:) He will be playing on line 1A (I won't even say 1st and 2nd lines, but line 1 and line 1A) hopefully with Arnott at Center and Elias at RW. A-LINE 2.0 will be a force. First teams must defend ZZ-POPS and then comes A-LINE 2.0. One of the best two line combinations in hockey, if not THE best!

And here 's to hoping I can change my name to "FourCups" this June!

Strategically it makes perfect sense. If you can get beyond the narrow implications of your interpretations of "3rd line" and think about the prospects of trying to coach against this. It's impossible. This scenario plays to Kovy's strengths (puck possession and skating) against weaker opposition.

He is not a playmaker and doesn't play well with Elias, Parise, Zajac, or Langs.

If he gets 20 minutes a game doing what he does best who cares what you call the line.

Kovy didn't play long enough to really gel with anyone. Why would you surmise that Kovy would be on the line with Parise and Zajac? There is a such thing as chemistry. If anything the ZZPops line stays in tact due to their success. I think Elias-Arnott-Kovalchuk will be the line and we'll just have to see how it works out. New coach, different lines, new players. There's a lot to be considered. And once you see hwo it all works out Manta, you'll be top of the list to be a cup contender to hold Kovy's jock.

Kovy didn't play long enough to really gel with anyone. Why would you surmise that Kovy would be on the line with Parise and Zajac? There is a such thing as chemistry. If anything the ZZPops line stays in tact due to their success. I think Elias-Arnott-Kovalchuk will be the line and we'll just have to see how it works out. New coach, different lines, new players. There's a lot to be considered. And once you see hwo it all works out Manta, you'll be top of the list to be a cup contender to hold Kovy's jock.

He had 4 months to "gel". It's the chemistry that I am talking about. ZZPops is the most solid line we have had in since the A LIne it was a mistake to break them up.

Let's see how it work. Hopefully, I am wrong, but I am not very confident about this.

Haha comeon Manta you know damn well Kovalchuk is not playing on the 3rd line. I don't care if you call it the 1C line, he isn't playing on it. It's much more likely for Elias or Langs to play on the "3rd" line than it will ever be for Kovalchuk. I agree with you that we will likely have some depth at forward positions, but comeon man.