Hotels in New York

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Anyone got any reccommendations for good hotels in NY that aren't going to destroy my bank ballance?

Also where is a good place to stay to get out to the rock, and how easy is it to get out there?

Was thinking of catching the final run of home games at the end of the season.

Personally I like the Grammercy Hotel -- but I never stayed there. I just lived over there. It was my cousins favorite. The quality and price go up and down too so...

How long are you staying? Are you coming over alone? What all do you want to do? What NY do you want to see?

HAhaha my husband who is from the lower East side says don't stay in Manhattan at all It's a big rip off! Stay in Jersey and take a train in...hurumph hurmph hurumph. Bummer no one has been in his Grandmothers apartment for a year It's empty but its also probably a mess now.

OK now he says stay in midtown -- ask Bulletproof he knows all the new hot spots. I'm more homey young chick with a cozy apartment and a doggie. (Which also makes the Grammercy park area PRIME chick hunting property :uni: ). I moved out 13 years ago... THIS WEEK.... whaaaa :evilcry: But like I said - Gram lived there and my father in law too before he retired 2 years ago...

I'm so happy you're coming over! I love NYC. but I only hung out with the English when I lived there EWE! It's all Andrew Lloyd Weber's fault I moved there heehee - he financed my move :lol:

Personally I like the Grammercy Hotel -- but I never stayed there. I just lived over there. It was my cousins favorite. The quality and price go up and down too so...

How long are you staying? Are you coming over alone? What all do you want to do? What NY do you want to see?

HAhaha my husband who is from the lower East side says don't stay in Manhattan at all It's a big rip off! Stay in Jersey and take a train in...hurumph hurmph hurumph. Bummer no one has been in his Grandmothers apartment for a year It's empty but its also probably a mess now.

OK now he says stay in midtown -- ask Bulletproof he knows all the new hot spots. I'm more homey young chick with a cozy apartment and a doggie. (Which also makes the Grammercy park area PRIME chick hunting property :uni: ). I moved out 13 years ago... THIS WEEK.... whaaaa :evilcry: But like I said - Gram lived there and my father in law too before he retired 2 years ago...

I'm so happy you're coming over! I love NYC. but I only hung out with the English when I lived there EWE! It's all Andrew Lloyd Weber's fault I moved there heehee - he financed my move :lol:

Awww Thanks PK, that hotel looks amazing but it seems super expensive, are all hotels around $500 a night in NYC!!!

As for the trip, basically its still all on the drawing board. Was planning to arrive on the 31st March and leave on the 8th April next year, and catch 3 Devils home games and see MB30 before he hangs up his skates, and before there is an epic labour dispute and no hockey for a year (thanks Kovlasaga for putting that into focus).

Right now I am coming alone but I am trying to get some company (I recently went surfing to Spain on my own (first time travelling anywhere abroad on my own) after splitting from my girlfriend, so I am seeing if I can get up the courage to travel the furthest I have ever been on my own) but that could all change, but for the sake of planning, yeah I will be on my own.

I really don't know what I want to see other than hockey, I appreciate from living in London that there is no way I will see everything the city has to offer in one trip, so I guess just the main tourist activities to start with, but I guess at the same time it would be nice to see some aspects of the city people often don’t see (I have spent all my life walking around every inch of London, its amazing what you can find if you don’t just get on the tube!!)

Haha I have no idea where any of those places are, so I will take you word for it. Chicks you say, hhmmmmmm :P will have to start working on my best stereotypical Hugh Grant awfully befuddled British accent and charm then (because that stuff works on American women right!! Well unless you look like Andrew Lloyd Webber).

I wonder if he will finance my trip??

I also find that www.tripadvisor.com is a great place to go for "Things to Do" recommendations as well as hotels. While I haven't stayed in any hotels in NYC, just looked up Petey's suggestion and that location would be ideal, especially for getting to Devils games as you'll be right by the PATH and only a few blocks from Penn Station.

As for getting to the game, you have two options, both very close by. The PATH is a commuter train that goes between NYC and Jersey and can be confusing, especially on the weekends. From the station by you, it will take anywhere ftom 20 minutes to a half hour, with a transfer to get to the arena, possibly longer on the weekends. The upside is that it's nice and cheap, $1.75 each way. Your other option is an NJ Transit train from Penn Station. That will be a little further from your hotel, but only by a couple of avenues. It's more expensive, I think 4.50 each way but it's quicker, more direct and much more comfortable. Either way, it's a cinch to get to The Rock from that area.

As for things to do, send me a PM when it gets closer to next year and I'll take a look in the local papers to maybe find some cool "New York" type things for you to do. As for touristy stuff, just steer clear of Times Square. There is litterally nothing to do there, unless you plan on seeing a Broadway show or like wax museums. It's worth going by at night to take some pictures and check out, but you need maximum a half hour to do so.

If you need more help as it gets closer to the date, like what neighborhoods to check out, nightlife, etc, let me know and I'll make some recommendations for you!

Hey there

I put people up at the Grace Hotel on 45th street. The prices vary from 150+, they have really comfy beds, lux accommodations for the price and a 24hr pool with swim up bar!

http://www.room-matehotels.com/eng/nuevayorkhotel/gracehotel/gracehotel.php

There's also the Chelsea Star- its cheaper but feels cheaper. Still clean and close to everything. http://www.starhotelny.com/

As for getting to the rock, its super easy from both these hotels, NJ Transit takes you right there and the Path is nearby too

I also find that www.tripadvisor.com is a great place to go for "Things to Do" recommendations as well as hotels. While I haven't stayed in any hotels in NYC, just looked up Petey's suggestion and that location would be ideal, especially for getting to Devils games as you'll be right by the PATH and only a few blocks from Penn Station.

As for getting to the game, you have two options, both very close by. The PATH is a commuter train that goes between NYC and Jersey and can be confusing, especially on the weekends. From the station by you, it will take anywhere ftom 20 minutes to a half hour, with a transfer to get to the arena, possibly longer on the weekends. The upside is that it's nice and cheap, $1.75 each way. Your other option is an NJ Transit train from Penn Station. That will be a little further from your hotel, but only by a couple of avenues. It's more expensive, I think 4.50 each way but it's quicker, more direct and much more comfortable. Either way, it's a cinch to get to The Rock from that area.

As for things to do, send me a PM when it gets closer to next year and I'll take a look in the local papers to maybe find some cool "New York" type things for you to do. As for touristy stuff, just steer clear of Times Square. There is litterally nothing to do there, unless you plan on seeing a Broadway show or like wax museums. It's worth going by at night to take some pictures and check out, but you need maximum a half hour to do so.

If you need more help as it gets closer to the date, like what neighborhoods to check out, nightlife, etc, let me know and I'll make some recommendations for you!

Bullet thats amazing thank you !!

I remember people saying to get to the swamp used to be anightmare from NY but both of those options sound pretty hassel free, and not too expensive.

No interest in shows or wax museums but i would like to go see the lights just for the experience, i guess its just like picadillay circus in London good for about five minutes then move on.

Hey there

I put people up at the Grace Hotel on 45th street. The prices vary from 150+, they have really comfy beds, lux accommodations for the price and a 24hr pool with swim up bar!

http://www.room-matehotels.com/eng/nuevayorkhotel/gracehotel/gracehotel.php

There's also the Chelsea Star- its cheaper but feels cheaper. Still clean and close to everything. http://www.starhotelny.com/

As for getting to the rock, its super easy from both these hotels, NJ Transit takes you right there and the Path is nearby too

I like the look of the first one, and a pool is always good no matter where you are.

If you want to have an experience as close as possible to Times Square circa 1985, stay at this place:)

http://www.thehotelstjames.com/index.html

Compared to some UK hotels i have stayed in that looks pretty modern. :giggle:

Now its just a case of saving the ££££ to get there. This is not helped by the fact i am going to Prague to see the opening games of this season in two weeks and the fact i might go to sweden for a long weekend in December.