Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Triumph

And it begins (2010-11 edition)

52 posts in this topic

TG just tweeted that Brodeur will start on Friday. Why? What reason is there for Brodeur to start against a non-conference opponent who probably isn't very good? Why doesn't the coach plot out what games Brodeur will start and which ones he simply will not, regardless of record or circumstance?

I mean, Hedberg stinks and we'll see that pretty soon (if we haven't already), but if he's going to get paid a million dollars to look interested in the bench, there's guys who would do that for half the money and look twice as interested.

TG just tweeted that Brodeur will start on Friday. Why? What reason is there for Brodeur to start against a non-conference opponent who probably isn't very good? Why doesn't the coach plot out what games Brodeur will start and which ones he simply will not, regardless of record or circumstance?

I mean, Hedberg stinks and we'll see that pretty soon (if we haven't already), but if he's going to get paid a million dollars to look interested in the bench, there's guys who would do that for half the money and look twice as interested.

Another season, another 75+ games for Marty, and another tired-looking Marty in our first round exit.

Marty is going to play almost all the games in the early part of the season. My guess, later on Hedberg will play once every eight games.

Edited by ben00rs

Marty is going to play almost all the games in the early part of the season. My guess, later on Hedberg will play once every eight games.

This gets said every year, but then there's always a divisional/conference race to worry about, and it never happens. Hedberg should be playing early in the season against non-conference opponents.

Edited by Triumph

This gets said every year, but then there's always a divisional/conference race to worry about, and it never happens. Hedberg should be playing early in the season against non-conference opponents.

I am on the ship that says Marty plays about 70 games. I agree Hedberg should be playing every logical opponent early on in the season. I think Marty is making the call here but he might get backed into a corner later in the season if his play starts to drop (which will happen over some period of games) and we are playing a lot of games over a short stretch. If anything JMac will have to step up at that point.

yea i agree hedberg should get the start today. my only reasoning is that maybe he wants the team to go on a streak to boost up their confidence.

I hope Hedberg gets to play more cuz I want to hear the Moose chants soon

I guess MacLean is thinking that the team's confidence is a little fragile right now and he wants to put up a nice string of wins before putting Hedberg in. Does it suck? Yes, but I sort of see the justification.

Another season, another 75+ games for Marty, and another tired-looking Marty in our first round exit.

Brodeur looked SUPER tired in games 1 & 2. He probably should have skipped that 1 pre-season game. So tired of "Brodeur being tired" as the excuse for his play. His skills have diminished some, regardless of how many "Wins" he's gotten (I still think 97-98 was the height of his ability), but it's getting old, the scapegoating of his skills chalked up to being tired.

I agree that Hedberg should play more, possibly Friday--and that Brodeur at 65 games or so is probably a logical idea. But if I have to hear about his being tired... eh, it's just a broken record all this stuff. He was tired when he missed half the season too I guess. He must also have been tired in that finals game against the Avs in 2001. You don't win all the time, and as you age, your skills (usually) age too.

This all points to the fact he should play less (since he's older and of lesser skill), but the phrase in a vacuum that # of games = early playoff exit is overplayed.

I guess MacLean is thinking that the team's confidence is a little fragile right now and he wants to put up a nice string of wins before putting Hedberg in. Does it suck? Yes, but I sort of see the justification.

The problem is that this is always true - there's always a justification.

he earned the right to play again he got a shutout. have hedberg play against the bruins.

why would we play hedberg against one of the best teams in the conference, with whom if things go well for both of us, we'd be jockeying with for playoff position?

Brodeur looked SUPER tired in games 1 & 2. He probably should have skipped that 1 pre-season game. So tired of "Brodeur being tired" as the excuse for his play. His skills have diminished some, regardless of how many "Wins" he's gotten (I still think 97-98 was the height of his ability), but it's getting old, the scapegoating of his skills chalked up to being tired.

I agree that Hedberg should play more, possibly Friday--and that Brodeur at 65 games or so is probably a logical idea. But if I have to hear about his being tired... eh, it's just a broken record all this stuff. He was tired when he missed half the season too I guess. He must also have been tired in that finals game against the Avs in 2001. You don't win all the time, and as you age, your skills (usually) age too.

This all points to the fact he should play less (since he's older and of lesser skill), but the phrase in a vacuum that # of games = early playoff exit is overplayed.

even though i started this thread, i do agree with this. i don't think it's at all right to blame every playoff loss on brodeur being tired. but i do think it's time to acknowledge that he is older and shouldn't be playing 5 games in 8 days. more importantly, i think it's incredibly asinine to pay a backup goalie $1 million dollars in the NHL today, especially if your team has a starter who routinely plays 70+ games.

he earned the right to play again he got a shutout. have hedberg play against the bruins.

Marty isn't really at the point where he has to "earn the right to play." The only reason the shutout could factor into why he is starting tmw is because maybe JMac thinks he's hot right now.

even though i started this thread, i do agree with this. i don't think it's at all right to blame every playoff loss on brodeur being tired. but i do think it's time to acknowledge that he is older and shouldn't be playing 5 games in 8 days. more importantly, i think it's incredibly asinine to pay a backup goalie $1 million dollars in the NHL today, especially if your team has a starter who routinely plays 70+ games.

Couldn't agree more.. If the backup is barely going to play why spend so much on one? Or let Frazee get some NHL experience (even though I will become the Lucifers Dog of Frazee if he is our next starting goalie in the future)

Marty isn't really at the point where he has to "earn the right to play." The only reason the shutout could factor into why he is starting tmw is because maybe JMac thinks he's hot right now.

7 goals in 3 games isn't what I consider hot.

7 goals in 3 games isn't what I consider hot.

Which is why the shutout does not factor in...but JMac could see it as "Marty getting warm"

I agree that his skills have diminished and that it is not an excuse for his play. But playing over 75 games a season will not help.

is there ANY question why hedberg was signed as the backup goalie?

i thought many of you were smarter than that. for those that aren't, well lets just say that if hedberg's # was 71 in honor of someone else, i'd totally understand.

that's what happens when you sign your backup goalie as a package deal... as a "buddy" of the guy you're chasing.

it is what it is. FWIW, we had a hard time with a far crappier Western team than Colorado.

Edited by maxpower

that's what happens when you sign your backup goalie as a package deal... as a "buddy" of the guy you're chasing.

it is what it is. FWIW, we had a hard time with a far crappier Western team than Colorado.

there are no crappier teams than colorado (besides edmonton), and could we please stop talking in terms of transitivity in hockey; this isn't college football. just about every stanley cup winner has lost to a bad team over the course of the season.

there are no crappier teams than colorado (besides edmonton), and could we please stop talking in terms of transitivity in hockey; this isn't college football. just about every stanley cup winner has lost to a bad team over the course of the season.

Really. Why are they so much crappier than they were last year? You know when they made the playoffs and almost participated in the ritual elimination of the Sharks? Yes, I know they got dominated and it was somewhat fluky, but it's the west and they were in the playoffs. and the other day they outplayed the Wings, they just didn't get the goaltending from Budaj to win the game in regulation.

Really. Why are they so much crappier than they were last year? You know when they made the playoffs and almost participated in the ritual elimination of the Sharks? Yes, I know they got dominated and it was somewhat fluky, but it's the west and they were in the playoffs. and the other day they outplayed the Wings, they just didn't get the goaltending from Budaj to win the game in regulation.

please stop using one game to make a point, this isn't the NFL or NBA. they were not good last year and got bailed out by great shooting and great goaltending. it's reasonable to expect both of these things to regress this year, leaving them as one of the worst teams in the league. if it doesn't, well, either people like mueller and duchene are better than i thought, or anderson really is one of the top 5 goalies in the league.

Edited by Triumph

they got 95 points in the West last season. the Rangers, if they made the playoffs, were not good last year. you're underselling them. they've played 3 games and beat Chicago and Detriot.

How much does the chorus of boos on Monday after the Pittsburgh loss weigh into MacLean's decision to go with Marty Friday night? Obviously Marty gives us a better chance to win on any given night. There is something to building momentum amongst the fan base. Especially in your own building. Even more so with 2 losses in 2 tries at home so far.

We signed Hedberg, a Jay Grossman client(among all the other newbies), for slightly over fair market value. Kovalchuk had mentioned that he thought Hedberg was a great goalie last year. Signing Hedberg provided the Devs with a solid backup and potentially a decent starter if needed.(give him a chance; he's good) It gave Ilya someone on the team that he knew and appears to regard highly. It also shows that management listens to the players, especially the star ones. No matter what your profession, it is nice to be heard.

As far as MB goes, I'll never understand the tired part. He has a poor work ethic off the ice. At his age and stage of career, maybe not right, but understandable. In his mind though, he is what he is; done what he's done and you'll get what you get in the playoffs. The games he "looks" tired is him just not being "good enough" plain and simple. His feet have been slow for awhile now and both his arms are right behind them. You simply have a goaltender at the end of his HOF career. It is what it is. Hopefully the team in front of him plays great team hockey this season in front of him, because we all know it won't be in front of the Moose. A big mistake in my opinion.

they got 95 points in the West last season. the Rangers, if they made the playoffs, were not good last year. you're underselling them. they've played 3 games and beat Chicago and Detriot.

they shot 10.4% as a team and they got crushed territorially with the score tied. the rangers, on the other hand, got unlucky in shootouts (not just the last one) - the rangers were probably a better team.