SMantzas

GDT: Devils @ San Jose

585 posts in this topic

I think the major complaint is - the direction of the team is really unclear. It's been wishy washy the last few years, but now it seems like a complete clusterfvck.

i would take 8-12 right now but i wouldn't bet on it. as discussed, they are historically bad right now. i mean, beyond comparison of anything i've seen. it's not just the stats - their play is awful.

this is very clear. i mean, look at the quotes coming out of the room. they literally have no clue how to fix it. NONE of them. And then you've got guys like Kovalchuk flat out saying "don't ask me."

disgusting.

And you know what? You're probably both right. Everyone from Lou on down to the players probably doesn't have the answers right now. Let's face it, when very long runs of respectability and success end, they don't tend to end pretty. It's usually pretty ugly and painful to watch.

Lou DID have the answers for a long long time...his squads may not have done much in the playoffs since the '03 Cup, but they've always been relevant in the regular season, and won division titles to boot (for what that's worth). Many of the Lou-type moves that used to work well for him haven't been working out as well of late, so I really think he took a "what the hell, why not?", roll the dice, almost-Satheresque approach to this offseason. Lou's no dummy...I think he probably knew that this current roster might not fire on all cylinders properly...but I can understand what he was going for, hoping Elias and Arnott might rediscover some of their magic, hoping Tallinder and Volchenkov would be able to step right in and flourish, hoping an aging roster would find a way to stay healthy, etc.

Well, so far, it's been a disaster early, and though I do think Lou knew this might happen, I don't think he ever had a Plan B in place, and probably still doesn't. Maybe he's formulating one right now, but if he is, I don't think it's going to be "one move or two and we're right back on track". Like I said, I think this one's going to take time for everyone involved.

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/2010/10/28/devils-look-forward-to-important-weekend/

Writing again ^^^^

Anyway... I don't think it matters that Langs has the C. Look how many veterans are in that locker room. There should be NO shortage of leadership.

Seemed like Elias knows he has to skate harder and shoot more often. Clarkson got a goal yay haha.

I hope Zajac's alright.

Marty looked fine. Tallinder did not.

I still think things will be alright.

Well if it's any consolation we didn't get shut out. In addition three other teams in our division played last night and all lost in regulation so there wasn't any movement in the standings in our division.

Certainly can't blame Marty he tried his best to keep the devils in this shooting match. I must have a vision problem because when I watch the Devils on TV I don't see any Devils in front of the net. They must be there because everyone knows that how to get goals I just can't see them. I am going to get may TV repairman out today to fix this problem.

I laughed!

I mean I was born in '89 so yeah I've never experience such failure by the Devils, and I'd be completely fine with it now if we didn't have such a good team.. But to have this good of a team that is underachieving to this level is so frustrating.. Can't tell you how many times I yell at my television "WHY!?!?!?"

The question you really have to ask yourself is if this team is really that good. We knew coming in that the defense was going to be a question mark, and that has definitely come to pass. As for the offense...the names don't always fit together in the video-game/fantasy league style we hope for. For a while the Devils were trying to skate a line of Stephane Richer, Bernie Nicholls and John MacLean...didn't work. For years now, despite the always-good regular seasons, there's been so many games where this team has looked out of sync, where they can't complete or receive simple passes and don't seem to click at all...yet somehow they still found ways to win. Now guys are getting older, faces that are still new here are trying to find their way...so these problems that the Devils were able to overcome are suddenly becoming overwhelming.

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/2010/10/28/devils-look-forward-to-important-weekend/

Writing again ^^^^

Anyway... I don't think it matters that Langs has the C. Look how many veterans are in that locker room. There should be NO shortage of leadership.

Seemed like Elias knows he has to skate harder and shoot more often. Clarkson got a goal yay haha.

I hope Zajac's alright.

Marty looked fine. Tallinder did not.

I still think things will be alright.

We're changing your name to Chip Diller.

And you know what? You're probably both right. Everyone from Lou on down to the players probably doesn't have the answers right now. Let's face it, when very long runs of respectability and success end, they don't tend to end pretty. It's usually pretty ugly and painful to watch.

Lou DID have the answers for a long long time...his squads may not have done much in the playoffs since the '03 Cup, but they've always been relevant in the regular season, and won division titles to boot (for what that's worth). Many of the Lou-type moves that used to work well for him haven't been working out as well of late, so I really think he took a "what the hell, why not?", roll the dice, almost-Satheresque approach to this offseason. Lou's no dummy...I think he probably knew that this current roster might not fire on all cylinders properly...but I can understand what he was going for, hoping Elias and Arnott might rediscover some of their magic, hoping Tallinder and Volchenkov would be able to step right in and flourish, hoping an aging roster would find a way to stay healthy, etc.

Well, so far, it's been a disaster early, and though I do think Lou knew this might happen, I don't think he ever had a Plan B in place, and probably still doesn't. Maybe he's formulating one right now, but if he is, I don't think it's going to be "one move or two and we're right back on track". Like I said, I think this one's going to take time for everyone involved.

CR, you're one of the reasons I rarely post in the hockey forums because anything I would post would be a pale reguritation of what you write. The Devils have never faced ineptitude at this level and nobody, from the management to the players to the fans know what to make of it. A team with this talent shouldn't be this unexplainably bad. Even the media, who's been chomping at the bit for us to fail for years now, haven't really made a stink because even they don't know what to say. The ship is certianly rightable, but it is becoming clear that there is a deeper issue here and I really think it all comes down to chemistry. There's nobody to trade, nobody to move and no letter to strip...either the pieces fit or they don't and if they don't, there's nothing anybody can do about it except suck it up and ride it out. No quick fix here but if the team starts clicking, even just enough to be competitive, they have a shot at the playoffs. If not, which is less likely but still possible, alot of Devils fans, including myself, will be getting their first taste of the nasty medicine known as "supporting a bad hockey team". I don't know if the majority of our fan base is ready for that.

If not, which is less likely but still possible, alot of Devils fans, including myself, will be getting their first taste of the nasty medicine known as "supporting a bad hockey team". I don't know if the majority of our fan base is ready for that.

If it goes down this way, I plan to embrace how bad this team is. It makes it sweeter when they start to win again.

For example: The 1997 and 1998 Jets hold special memories for me because of how bad the 1995 and 1996 Jets were. It was fresh and exciting to root for a good team.

Yankee fans older than 30 know what I'm talking about.

CR, you're one of the reasons I rarely post in the hockey forums because anything I would post would be a pale reguritation of what you write. The Devils have never faced ineptitude at this level and nobody, from the management to the players to the fans know what to make of it. A team with this talent shouldn't be this unexplainably bad. Even the media, who's been chomping at the bit for us to fail for years now, haven't really made a stink because even they don't know what to say. The ship is certianly rightable, but it is becoming clear that there is a deeper issue here and I really think it all comes down to chemistry. There's nobody to trade, nobody to move and no letter to strip...either the pieces fit or they don't and if they don't, there's nothing anybody can do about it except suck it up and ride it out. No quick fix here but if the team starts clicking, even just enough to be competitive, they have a shot at the playoffs. If not, which is less likely but still possible, alot of Devils fans, including myself, will be getting their first taste of the nasty medicine known as "supporting a bad hockey team". I don't know if the majority of our fan base is ready for that.

In a way the frustration at a lack of quick answers is the ultimate compliment to Lou...everyone's so used to his being able to pull off miracles when things start to go badly that they expect him to be able to pull them off time and time again. (2000 and 2006 are shining examples of sinking ships miraculously righted.) Even Lou, who is human after all, can't do that every time. This is very much a WYSIWYG team...if it's going to come together, the players will have to make it happen.

Even Lou, who is human after all, can't do that every time. This is very much a WYSIWYG team...if it's going to come together, the players will have to make it happen.

I expect Kovalchuk to call a team meeting ... then show up 10 minutes late.

Never thought I would see the day where the Nets would look better than the Devils. At least we have one winning franchise in our building

i don't think we can say what our defense is going to be like until salvador and volchenkov are back. you can pair them with greene and tao and let tallinder/white pair up. i'm not saying that's the answer to all the woes but let's see how our defense looks without the rookies.

does anyone know anyhting about salvador's return?

they are now the worst team in hockey.

only good news for them is its only october, and its better to get to losing out now then to start losing a month before playoffs. while their are plently of doubters, i still believe theyll turn this around and make at least 8th to get in the playoffs

btw 39 shots against last night, an easy hat trick for Thornton...anyone still think this defense is 'above average'?

Who on earth, at any stage, called this sh!tfest of a defense 'above average'???!! I refuse to believe anyone at anytime uttered such an inaccuracy.

i don't think we can say what our defense is going to be like until salvador and volchenkov are back. you can pair them with greene and tao and let tallinder/white pair up. i'm not saying that's the answer to all the woes but let's see how our defense looks without the rookies.

does anyone know anyhting about salvador's return?

No you can't. Because of the cap, I don't think we can afford both in the line-up. Didn't we just have 15 skaters against Pittsburgh because of this issue?

Who on earth, at any stage, called this sh!tfest of a defense 'above average'???!! I refuse to believe anyone at anytime uttered such an inaccuracy.

After the Kovy signing, I called our defense, "one of the worst in the league" and was told by everyone on these boards that "our defense was great, and was better than last years Jennings Trophy team". oops.

No you can't. Because of the cap, I don't think we can afford both in the line-up. Didn't we just have 15 skaters against Pittsburgh because of this issue?

i believe that while rolston is out these two can be brought in to play. the problem will be when rolston returns.

It's not like there are a whole bunch of players on the roster right now who are absolutely necessary to keep. Josefson, Sestito, Corrente, these guys can be sent down. Bury Langs somewhere, anywhere and we're good to go.

Whether it's age, injury, or lack of interest; some of our forwards just seem a step slow.

Elias and Langs in particular just keep getting beat in our zone, the neutral zone - hell, they aren't even getting to rebounds like the used to.

It's hard to watch - almost like "Old Yeller". It's fun at times, but really sad because you know the end is coming for something that you loved for a long time.

** Double Post ** Deleted (sorry)

Edited by Motor City Devil

They are stepping slow because they are lacking confidence. They all feel that they have tried everything and the puck just isnt going their way. They are just going to bomb the puck off the blue line because they know that going in the zone isnt going to do anything.

Us as fans need to show them that they can do this and we are still here to cheer them on. Fans are a big thing for teams and players. We can do alot for their overall moral.

One thing is for sure, we need more activity in the neutral zone. It was so easy for the Sharks players to play in the neutral zone last night it was almost wide open.

i believe that while rolston is out these two can be brought in to play. the problem will be when rolston returns.

I could be wrong, but from what I understand Salvadors money isn't applied to the cap now either because he is on IR. Once he is activated I believe this leaves us with even less space.

Look at the end of the Ranger game thread, there was at least one making the case that since we were 'only' 14th in shots allowed that we were an above average defense. Too bad that 39 shot game last night jacked up the average :P

After the Kovy signing, I called our defense, "one of the worst in the league" and was told by everyone on these boards that "our defense was great, and was better than last years Jennings Trophy team". oops.

Talentwise it really should be...but who could have forseen Volchenkov and Salvador playing four periods combined between them, or Tallinder turning into the second coming of McGillis or Greene being a total first-half fraud? I shudder to think how bad it would be if Taormina hadn't come out of nowhere.

Edited by NJDevs4978