This Team Sucks!

trailblazer

Don't want to hear anything about injuries or that it's still early.

Also, either we are the unluckiest team in NHL or the players are not conditioned properly.

Literally, an injury every game.

Devils are a bad hockey team.

parise blows a tire, falls awkwardly and you're gonna blame conditioning?

volchenkov takes a puck to the face, but i guess he didnt lift enough weights with his upper lip and nose to prevent that one

how about blaming a calcium deficiency on the broken hands of fraser and corrente

and yeah, it is without a doubt to blame for salvador getting a concussion, he didn't take his offseason seriously

parise blows a tire, falls awkwardly and you're gonna blame conditioning?

volchenkov takes a puck to the face, but i guess he didnt lift enough weights with his upper lip and nose to prevent that one

how about blaming a calcium deficiency on the broken hands of fraser and corrente

and yeah, it is without a doubt to blame for salvador getting a concussion, he didn't take his offseason seriously

Team still terrible.

No more excuses.

This team is not good and changes need to be made.

I honestly don't think they're playing that bad. For some reason they just can't seem to be able put goals away. I think they're all thinking pass too much instead of shoot. Plus they don't seem to get too many rebounds. Maybe they need to practice shooting on a smaller goal because it seems like the miss a lot of shots.

Marty started off slow but he's looked a lot better recently. Some of those goals just aren't his fault (Greene dragging him across the crease?).

The lines they were using looked great. If Elias and Kovy can get used to each other they can put up a lot of points (something we all said when he first arrived), but MacLean has to keep them together for a while to let them develop.

Zach's injury could make things even worse, but hopefully the rest of the team will step up like when Marty was out a couple of years ago. Speaking of which, I still think the Devils should make a serious run at a good young goaltender for the same reasons.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

At this point, the excuse is that there's an AHL team on the ice, and not even a good one. The rash of injuries, the shortened roster at the beginning of the season, a rookie coach and too many new faces and no chemistry are all to blame.

Like I said, I think 2010 is going to prove to be a transitional year. But the future remains bright.

aside from parise's condition, we won't really know how good or bad this team is until salvador and volchenkov return and the rolston situation is finally dealt with.

i know sh!t looks bad now, but there is too much season left to play before people start panicing as if this is march or april. other teams are going to have hot and cold streaks and have to deal with injuries too. we are taking our lumps now, but this team has too much talent to be considered the worst in the league.

on the other hand, having the number one overall pick in the draft could be a new , exciting experience.

Like I said, I think 2010 is going to prove to be a transitional year. But the future remains bright.

I think it's Jas0nMacIsaac who's been saying since forever ago that 2010 isn't the season for the Devils, but in 2011 they'll be a team to watch. Looks pretty prophetic right now.

Don't want to hear anything about injuries or that it's still early.

Also, either we are the unluckiest team in NHL or the players are not conditioned properly.

Literally, an injury every game.

Devils are a bad hockey team.

Sweet, another poster who felt obligated to create another whiny thread.

Thanks for contributing! :koolaid:

For all intents and purposes, the season is over. This is not bad luck, a few unfortunate bounces or anything like that. The team is one of the worst I've ever seen in the past twenty years watching hockey.

Kovalchuk will end up with less than 30 goals. Parise, well who knows. In any event, it doesn't matter, he's gone once he's a UFA. I almost wish some team gives him a huge offer sheet this offseason so we get the draft picks. It's rebuilding time. Lou, time to retire.

Despite what LD says though, Marty might as well stick around, and pad his total win and shut out stats. It's not like another team is all hot and bothered to trade us anything of value for him or that there's anyone decent to take his place within the system.

Nothing lasts forever, even cold November rain.

Once again, ridiculous hyperbole.

This season is bad, very bad, but will level out. Having a top 10 pick in round 1 & 2 could suit the Devils well, as could jettisoning a few contracts in the offseason.

But Parise will be a Devil for life. Book it.

At this point, the excuse is that there's an AHL team on the ice, and not even a good one. The rash of injuries, the shortened roster at the beginning of the season, a rookie coach and too many new faces and no chemistry are all to blame.

I just keep thinking of the 2007 Flyers when I look at this team. I'm not saying they'll be as bad as that team was- but they do remind me of them a little.

Once again, ridiculous hyperbole.

This season is bad, very bad, but will level out. Having a top 10 pick in round 1 & 2 could suit the Devils well, as could jettisoning a few contracts in the offseason.

But Parise will be a Devil for life. Book it.

What fact can you point to that leads you to conclude that things will "level out"? We're averaging less than 2 goals a game. But beyond the stats if you actually watch a game, there's still absolutely nothing that can give you a positive outlook. The powerplay is absolutely useless and predictable. We barely get any decent scoring chances at even strength.

When Chico, et al. on Hockey Night Live are saying the Devils need to score some goals "to feel good about themselves" you know the rest of the season is going to be a nightmare.

Edited by Daniel

Because the massive amount of injuries we've sustained will heal and the players come back and play. Except maybe our best player.

Look, it's not going to be a good season most likely. But to think this pace will continue, I think, is unrealistic.

What fact can you point to that leads you to conclude that things will "level out"? We're averaging less than 2 goals a game. But beyond the stats if you actually watch a game, there's still absolutely nothing that can give you a positive outlook. The powerplay is absolutely useless and predictable. We barely get any decent scoring chances at even strength.

When Chico, et al. on Hockey Night Live are saying the Devils need to score some goals "to feel good about themselves" you know the rest of the season is going to be a nightmare.

have you considered that almost no NHL teams in recent history have averaged less than 2 goals a game, and that the devils are way better than those teams?

Edited by Triumph

have you considered that almost no NHL teams in recent history have averaged less than 2 goals a game, and that the devils are way better than those teams?

tri - you keep going to this well, specifically hitting on shooting percentage and that it just can't stay this bad because its really never happened. while i can certainly see that it's only 10 games in and if this slump was mid-season, we wouldn't be talking with AS much doom and gloom. but you have to at least allow for the more than remote possibility that this team is actually historically bad. to say that the devils are better - i think you may also be believing the names instead of what your eyes tell you. i mean, this 10 game streak for kovalchuk is i think the worst he's ever played - at least that i can remember and i watched a fair amount of thrashers games on CI over the years.

i haven't thrown it all out yet - if they're 8-10-2 in two weeks i'd certainly feel better but i'm not counting on that. they absolutely need to get 3 out of 4 points in van/chi and i'd say that's very unlikely. i would not be at all surprised if they lose both.

sundstrom:

i don't have the statistical chops to show just how exceptionally improbable it would be, but it would pretty much be one of the most improbable team performances in the 4 major sports of the last decade. the range of team shooting percentages since 1997 are like 7.1 to 11 or so - having a team at 5.anything is crazy - less than 1% crazy. we have like 360 team-seasons since then.

i don't think it's 'very unlikely' that they get 3 out of 4 at van and chi. it would just take some desperate play.

Edited by Triumph

The goals per game average will definitely creep up, but the final number is going to be pathetic.

Better than what teams? Maybe better than Ottawa in their first few years. Whoopdee doo.

At most, the team is good on paper, but obviously there's something very important missing. And don't say it's the injuries. At most, we miss Volchenkov, but otherwise the players that are out of the line-up are the one's that everyone has been clamoring to trade or waive.