JAMIE OUT - AND SO IS DEV ATTACK

Rock

JAMIE OUT - AND SO IS DEV ATTACK

http://www.nypost.com/sports/devils/43346.htm

By MARK (N)Єverson

December 2, 2003 -- In the first 105 minutes of three weeks without right wing Jamie Langenbrunner, the Devils have managed exactly one goal. No wonder they took his knee injury so seriously. They should take just as seriously that signal to beef up their attack if they harbor ambitions of beating out the Flyers.

The Devils, sources say, abjectly turned down Edmonton offers of Mike Comrie for Scott Gomez, but talks with the Oilers could be heating up again. (Same old stuff from (N)Єverson, a player is hurt and now rejected trade talks will start up again.) :rofl:

Langenbrunner is important, but no one confuses the gritty two-way winger with Wayne Gretzky. This momentary meltdown is another example of how the Devils' well-oiled machine sputters when just one of its several vital cogs cracks. More cogs, smoother machine.

They return to the Meadowlands tonight winless in three, having left New Jersey unbeaten in 11 little more than a week ago. Their current skid overlaps a tie with the team record-tying 13-game unbeaten streak, but it all turned in Friday's 2-0 loss in Dallas.

That was the night Langenbrunner left the lineup after the first for left knee surgery Sunday, leaving the Devils looking for new ways to produce goals and finding few.

They'll be trying to rediscover the answer tonight when they play host to Phoenix, hoping to extend an eight-game (7-0-1) home unbeaten streak in that often-fatal first game back from a road trip.

* Caps visit Meadowlands on Thursday, when Devils and Marines will collect Toys for Tots.

Colin White suffered a shoulder injury in the third period Sunday.

"They should take just as seriously that signal to beef up their attack if they harbor ambitions of beating out the Flyers."

Two words: Who cares.

If (N)Єverson wants to make a big deal out of beating out the Flyers to win the division, that's his mistake. I would only remind him that the Devils beat the Flyers in Game 7 PHILLY almost four years ago. The Devils beat the Sens in OTTAWA in Game 7 last year. The Devs have won the Cup as a five seed, a four seed and a two seed.

I admit that having game 7 in the Meadowlands against Anaheim for the finals was a huge boost for the Devs, but my point is that finishing ahead of the Flyers is not the be all and end all.

Oh, and NJ can survive, even thrive, without Langenbrunner for 3 weeks. It's an opportunity for a hungry player, like Rupp or Berglund, to step up and be noticed.

Edited by Jerrydevil

:unsure: One does have to wonder why he's so negative. I guess his outlook is he's writing for a New York paper - the Rangers are the good guys and it's his job to disuade people from jumping on the Devils bandwagon just because they have three Stanley Cups. He must assume Post readers would rather see bad things about the Devils.

Since when is beating the Flyers out going to be decided in the next 2-3 weeks. We have close to 60 games left in the season and were only 4 points out of being first overall in the NHL pending tonights game.

I recall an article last year after we lost Brylin that we were in trouble if the team didn't replace his scoring. Seems like everything worked out fine last year. Now is the time for players like Rupp to step up and grab the spotlight. I for one am confident in this team.

Well, it's not like the Devs depend on one player to score all the time. Yeah, it stinks that Jamie's out, but they've got other guys who can step it up and contribute. I'd be more worried if we lost a defenseman like Stevens or Nieds.