2011 New York Yankees Thread

thefiestygoat

99.9% of the time I would have no problem with Girardi going to Rivera in a 1-0 game, but with Colon dealing serious heat, under 90 pitches, I don't see why you wouldn't send him out there to finish it off. I'm tired of Girardi using his relief pitching "formula" all the time.

To quote Bald Vinny: "this game has made me go from happy to pissed to frustrated to elated to scared to laughing. all in like the last 2 hours"

EDIT: and now I'm nervous and worried!

It's been a while since I've been this emotional over a game in May against the Orioles!

EDIT: It's finally over! Yankees finally win this one....just took about 2 and half hours more than a lot of people expected! Way to step up by Cano and Noesi! Hopefully Dickerson is ok after that pitch to the head.

Edited by thefiestygoat

99.9% of the time I would have no problem with Girardi going to Rivera in a 1-0 game, but with Colon dealing serious heat, under 90 pitches, I don't see why you wouldn't send him out there to finish it off. I'm tired of Girardi using his relief pitching "formula" all the time.

Completely 100% agree with every part of this post. Colon was CRUISING, and Girardi pulls him in the 9th. :doh1: Not that I don't trust Mo, I will trust Mo even if he blows every save for the rest of the season, but Colon had FOUR baserunners last night...

I really enjoy games more when the announcing duo is Singleton and Cone. Singleton has a smooth delivery doing the play by play and seems to really enjoy the game. Cone isn't afraid to bring up sabermetrics, tonight explaining FIP on air, and often references Fangraphs and Baseball Reference when it comes to a variety of stats (WHIP, GB%, FIP, Average Pitch Speed, etc.) His use of sabermetrics on air is truly refreshing in a world where most announcers denounce advanced statistics without attempting to understand them as well as just spew the "he's a gamer" or "what a gritty/clutch player" bullsh!t that we've been spoon-fed for years.

One thing I can't stand is an extra inning loss on the west coast. 2:30 in the fvcking morning for that?! Damnit!

I've followed most of Nova's minor league career so I've really been pulling for him, but I just don't think he can cut it as a starter for this team. Cutting it dangerously close to a 1 K/BB rate isn't going to be enough to deserve a starter spot. Unfortunately, options to replace him are limited, and they do have the luxury of skipping his next turn, but I wouldn't be opposed to seeing how would do out of the bullpen.

I'd imagine in a couple of weeks more trade opportunities will open up for Cashman.

Its sad to watch Posada too as he was always one of my favorite Yankees. Going into last nights game where he went 0-3 he had just a .293 wOBA and 81 wRC+ in 151 PA. His ISO was down to .178 far below his career mark of .203.

Montero's had a decent start to his year, though you certainly expect him to improve upon these numbers as the season wears on. His numbers: .308/.343/.417 .335 wOBA 106 wRC+ .109 ISO 4.8% BB rate 23.7%K rate through 166 PA. I expect his BB/K rate to move towards something more respectable and his power will probably come around once he hits one of those hot streaks like he did in the 2nd half of last year. If he gets hot, Posada's days could be cut short.

I'm a huge Swisher fan and he deserves credit for how impressive his first two years were for the Yankees (.375 wOBA, 125 wRC+, 3.2 WAR in 2009/.377 wOBA 133 wRC+, 4.2 WAR in 2010) but he's really gotta start getting on a prolonged hot streak. Coming into last night he was sporting a .284 wOBA and 74 wRC+ through 188 PA. I have faith in him coming out of this but it's gotta be sooner rather than later.

• 2 weeks later...

Can we please beat the goddamn Red Sox!!! (and not give up the 3 runs in the first inning to start) This is getting very frustrating. No game is a must-win in June, but I'm gonna go ahead and say that tomorrow's game is right up there in importance.

As disastrous as this series has been, I'm just glad that the Yankees still have 2 games in hand. Hopefully the trade market opens up for some pitching help later this month and once Jeter gets 3,000 they drop him in the line up (though I'd be shocked after the Jorge fiasco).

I'm a bit concerned about Martin's injury and how much time he may miss. Cervelli has to be one of my least liked players of all time, Montero could be due for a call up but as of last night was still battling an eye infection, and Romine is still getting over his "mild concussion" from last week.

How/why??

Horrible offensively which I can live with from a back up catcher but his defense has left much to be desired. He actually used to be one of my favorite guys to follow when he was in the minors (all the way from low A) but his horrendous play in the big leagues has left me soured on him. I like his attitude and enthusiasm, but he needs to at least be passable defensively for me to like him.

On day of horrible injury news, I'm glad that Martin is only day to day and it doesn't appear like there will be a serious issue there.

Edited by thefiestygoat

Looks like we've seen the last of Joba Chamberlain until 2013 (MAYBE late next season).

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=6645446

Ugh, not the news I wanted to see after I sit down from dinner. He must have a helluva high pain threshold to have been playing through it as it got worse. Really, really hurts the bullpen.

Bad injury news on the farm too...Justin Maxwell who was brought in to provide some depth for the big league club is done for the year with a torn labrum in his shoulder. He had been killing the league: .260/.358/.588 .415wOBA 162wRC+ with 16 HR. Obviously his numbers would've regressed to his career norms but he was a nice player to have stashed away in case there were injuries in New York. I do believe Golson just returned to the line up down there though this past week. Also Tim Norton who has battled injuries his whole career and just got a promotion to AAA, pitching a scoreless inning last night, is on the DL with a shoulder injury. Gotta feel like a guy like that who was being considered a call up option for the big league team. Could be an opportunity for Kevin Whelan who is having a great year to get his name in the mix.

fvck Carmona, piece of sh!t. Gives up a long home run to Granderson and proceeds to drill Tex right in the back. I haven't seen Tex that angry since maybe the small incident with Span a few years back. Props to Girardi for getting ready to fvck up Acta. There won't be retaliation with Nova on the mound but hopefully the Yankees get a big lead late in this game and can drill someone like Choo in the goddamn back. I'm sick and tired of fvcking Yankees getting hit. 7 in 4 fvcking games. Drill someone in the goddamn head if you have to, this isn't acceptable.

THANK YOU.

The second a reliever comes in, I wanna see a helmet pop off.

Amen. I just can't stand this anymore and from the looks of it neither can Girardi. There has to be retaliation (preferably tonight) at some point in this 4 game series. Hopefully the Yankees can keep this 5 run lead (or even add to it) so we can send some guy out in the late innings to drill someone.

As much as watching Yankees get drilled by Lester and Beckett annoyed me and pissed me off, at least most of those we're due to bad control. Carmona knew exactly what he was doing, it was blatant, it should be suspendable. Completely uncalled for to drill Tex in that situation.

Wow, Whalen sucks.

Minus this year he's struggled with walks his whole career so I'm not too surprised. I'll cut him slack tonight since it was his debut but with all the injuries the Yankees gotta do something about getting bullpen help.

Good start to this series for the Yankees, really hoping they can take at least 3 of 4 here. I'm not going to get too excited, but its nice to Posada coming around a bit...hopefully this turn around is legit.

Another game, another Yankee drilled...at least the umpires ejected Talbot. This can't continue, at some point you have to retaliate.

Really sucks that Colon pulled up with some sort of leg injury covering first just now...thats the last thing this team needs. Lets hope the bullpen from hell can hold onto this lead for the Yankees.

2 down nobody on in the 7th and you're forced to put in a reliever, why the HELL don't you send up a rag-arm from your pen to bean someone?

I would've been on board with that, though I do understand the game is tight which is why they didn't. I think if we're going to see anything its going to come from AJ on Monday. As long as they get the Indians back at some point I'll be happy.

Thats a great summary Martyisth3b3st...I really agree on your last point! haha

I noticed some people on twitter were upset that the Yankees are going to Gordon rather than the likes of Noesi, Phelps, or Warren but I think it is the right move from Cashman. The prospects are still going to be options for later in the year...there was no certainty that Gordon would still be there so might as well give him a try and hope to catch lightning in a bottle. If he works out short term than great, if not you can give one of the kids a try. A comparison of them in AAA this year:

Phelps – 7.78 K/9, 2.36 BB/9

Warren – 5.72 K/9, 3.53 BB/9

Gordon – 9.11 K/9, 1.14 BB/9

Gordon may not have pitched great but he pitched well enough to keep them in the game and thats all I ask from him. Wade has also been a solid addition stepping up when the team needs it most.

I wish Gardner would get to be an everyday player and not sit against LHP. NoMaas has a great piece on this.

Point blank, Brett Gardner is one of the best players on the team. He's 5th in WAR (2.0), but if you break it down by plate appearances, he has the 3rd-highest WAR/PA on the club (behind only Granderson & Arod).

Additionally, when you look at Gardner's career platoon splits, he's managed to get on base versus LHP 35% of the time. Even if his platoon split sucked (which it doesn't), his defense is so elite that he should be in the lineup anyway.