Prospect Thread

Jas0nMacIsaac

This works on other sites so I think it's about time we had one for this site. I have noticed in chat more and more people are slightly interested in our prospects and I think this could be a good thread to keep it all compressed while informing the others on this site about some of out prospects.

This would work much better if someone where to sticky this along with the Albany thread Triumph created.

To start things off, I have been getting more and more interested in our 3rd round pick from last year Scott Wedgewood. There are video links below but he has been the best goaltender in all the CHL over November. On the season he has a 2.57 GAA with a .919 sv% while in November he has a 1.70 GAA with a .946 sv%.

This kid has the ability to steal games judging but some of his wins. In games with 34 or more shots he has a 1.87 GAA with a .950 sv%. This kid was very young for the draft as well only turning 18 August the 14th.

Who do I think Wedgewood looks like in nets? Well his style is very similar to Carey Price and his movements may be even quicker. At the 16 second mark and the 40 second mark their glove and blocker are positioned the exact same way, their croach is the same, they are both challenging the shooter the same. Wedgewood is 6`1 180 and may grow another inch, which would make him tall enough.

16 second mark

40 second mark

Goaltenders are a crap shoot but this kid can play goal.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice thread Jason, was going to put something similar together myself, have been keeping a database of all the Devils prospects stats for the current season.

Burlon is having a good year for Michigan, and Merill and Gelinas are also putting up decent numbers.

Claremont is also putting up good numbers his GAA is 2.38 and he has W-12 L-4 OT-2.

Mauro Jorg has also managed to put up as many points he got in his entire season last year in 25 games this year. Unfortunatly that was only 8.

On an older prospect note, Mike Hoeffel is off to a good start this year it looks like.

It's his senior year, so he should have a good year, but he still has 7 goals and 13 points in 13 games so far this year for U of Minnesota. Of course he's also shooting something around 38% so that helps. :lol:

On an older prospect note, Mike Hoeffel is off to a good start this year it looks like.

It's his senior year, so he should have a good year, but he still has 7 goals and 13 points in 13 games so far this year for U of Minnesota. Of course he's also shooting something around 38% so that helps. :lol:

Why oh why did we not take Wayne Simmonds instead!!!! :evil:

Correct me if I am wrong but does my list have all of the Devils college and junior prospects?

NCAA:

Michigan: Jon Merrill D Brandon Burlon D David Wohlberg C

Minnesota: Mike Hoeffel LW Seth Helgeson D

Wisconsin: Joe Faust D

Ohio State: Curtis Gedig D

Colgate: Corbin McPherson D

North Dakota: Derek Rodwell LW

OHL:

Plymouth: Scott Wedgewood G

QMJHL:

Chicoutimi: Eric Gelinas D

Gatineau: Maxime Clermont G

Cape Breton: Ashton Bernard LW

Swiss-A:

Lugano: Mauro Jorg RW

Correct me if I am wrong but does my list have all of the Devils college and junior prospects?

NCAA:

Michigan: Jon Merrill D Brandon Burlon D David Wohlberg C

Minnesota: Mike Hoeffel LW Seth Helgeson D

Wisconsin: Joe Faust D

Ohio State: Curtis Gedig D

Colgate: Corbin McPherson D

North Dakota: Derek Rodwell LW

OHL:

Plymouth: Scott Wedgewood G

QMJHL:

Chicoutimi: Eric Gelinas D

Gatineau: Maxime Clermont G

Cape Breton: Ashton Bernard LW

Swiss-A:

Lugano: Mauro Jorg RW

That would be correct, Ashton Bernard is playing Junior A hockey now and you can essentially cross him off our list. If he gets signed I would be shocked.

That would be correct, Ashton Bernard is playing Junior A hockey now and you can essentially cross him off our list. If he gets signed I would be shocked.

I'm not really sure why they took him.

They knew what he was, and that other than being a half decent fighter, he didn't have any up sides.

Then we have Detroit taking Adam Almqvist #210 over all. Who put up better numbers that Tedenby for HV71 in the playoffs last season.

If there is a Swede in the last round of the draft , and Detroit are drafting after you , then take the Swede!!!!!!!!

I'm not really sure why they took him.

They knew what he was, and that other than being a half decent fighter, he didn't have any up sides.

Then we have Detroit taking Adam Almqvist #210 over all. Who put up better numbers that Tedenby for HV71 in the playoffs last season.

If there is a Swede in the last round of the draft , and Detroit are drafting after you , then take the Swede!!!!!!!!

there are lots of swedes that went undrafted, so just following that strategy will get you nowhere. almquist has come back to earth this season - he's still obviously a much better prospect than bernard, but the devils like to have a fighter prospect in the system. it's far from optimal, but it beats signing 'known' enforcers for $1 million a year. picks past the 4th round become nhl average players below 10% of the time.

Edited by Triumph

there are lots of swedes that went undrafted, so just following that strategy will get you nowhere. almquist has come back to earth this season - he's still obviously a much better prospect than bernard, but the devils like to have a fighter prospect in the system. it's far from optimal, but it beats signing 'known' enforcers for $1 million a year. picks past the 4th round become nhl average players below 10% of the time.

Tri the last part of my post was tongue in cheek, I was in no way suggesting it as a valid strategy for drafting players, its just funny because of Detroit’s late round record.

Also I thought the Devils might have had a bit of inside knowledge on Almqvist because they were watching Tedenby regularly at that point and keeping an eye on his play. I guess they just saw something they didn't like.

That is one thing i have never liked about the Devils drafting stratergy. There are a lot of guys who can fight anyway, and a lot of them don't get signed because they end up being pretty one dimensional, so if you want one for the sake of having one then sign a guy who doesn't get picked up by the team that drafted him at a later date. Also we drafted Jean-Sebastin Berube the year before and he can fight and score. It was just a wasted pick IMO.

Almqvist has ended up on the same route as Tedenby did, epic playoff numbers, slow start to the season afterwards. I also get the feeling HV71 like to shelter their prospects quite a bit as well.

I wonder how much of the 10% Detroit is responsible for :P

Tri the last part of my post was tongue in cheek, I was in no way suggesting it as a valid strategy for drafting players, its just funny because of Detroit’s late round record.

Also I thought the Devils might have had a bit of inside knowledge on Almqvist because they were watching Tedenby regularly at that point and keeping an eye on his play. I guess they just saw something they didn't like.

That is one thing i have never liked about the Devils drafting stratergy. There are a lot of guys who can fight anyway, and a lot of them don't get signed because they end up being pretty one dimensional, so if you want one for the sake of having one then sign a guy who doesn't get picked up by the team that drafted him at a later date. Also we drafted Jean-Sebastin Berube the year before and he can fight and score. It was just a wasted pick IMO.

Almqvist has ended up on the same route as Tedenby did, epic playoff numbers, slow start to the season afterwards. I also get the feeling HV71 like to shelter their prospects quite a bit as well.

I wonder how much of the 10% Detroit is responsible for :P

there aren't that many fighters who are undrafted who make the NHL. among the 13 forwards who had 150 PIMs last season, only 3 were undrafted (orr, konopka, avery). and i wouldn't really consider avery a 'fighter'. if you want to get a guy who at least has plausible NHL skills, it's not that easy to find him on the scrap heap. the devils tried this with andrew peters and it didn't work out too well.

As part of this weeks episode of Talking Red, we talked to Jared from Hockeys Future about the prospects. Talked about Wedgewood, Henrique, Merrill and a few other guys. If anyone is interested you can get the file here: http://talkingred.libsyn.com/episode-10 (direct download/stream link is there)

or you can get it in the iTunes/Zune podcast marketplaces.

Edited by dsarch