Looking For Mike Peluso

knetik

My 2nd jersey ever was a Peluso white jersey with his signature on it. Got it during the 95 cup playoffs and signed it the following season. Now it is too small for me. Weird thing is that in those days, you bought the jersey someplace and found another place to send it out to get stitched (and the cost was by the letter/number and not a flat fee!). When it came back about 5 weeks later, they put an A on the front. I asked the guy what was up, and he called the stitching place and what happened is that they used a photo of him to get the number and lettering right. Well the picture they used one of the 2 alternates at the time was injured and they gave him the A for a game or 2, and that is the pic they used. People still commented on that here and there about the A, but it is funny IMO.

Good luck on getting a game-worn though. Ken on here might have one as he has a huge collection of stuff and is good to deal with. Good luck!

Jerseys are hard to come by however I found a few things you may be interested in:

http://www.gameworn.net/cgi-bin/GW/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=002764 (Game used Gloves of Mikes)

Red Peluso Jersey on the boards:

http://njdevs.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=41968

Yes, I know its from a while back but its worth a PM.

Jerseys are hard to come by however I found a few things you may be interested in:

http://www.gameworn.net/cgi-bin/GW/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=002764 (Game used Gloves of Mikes)

Red Peluso Jersey on the boards:

http://njdevs.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=41968

Yes, I know its from a while back but its worth a PM.

The gloves were sold a little bit ago. I was offered them before they were sold and i passed once i saw the pics. Even though they are photomatched to a hockey card of Peluso's, the seller failed to state upfront (or at all) that they were used by Randy McKay until i mentioned it. I don't collect recycled/shared player gloves as a rule, so i passed. If they were photomatched to McKay as well, then i might have thought different :evil:

The red Peluso i am not sure of the status. The seller is good to deal with as i have done a transaction with him, so it wouldn't hurt to shoot a email to find out.

Edited by SJP20

I wasn't being sarcastic. I think $1000 for the jersey and gloves is a pretty good price.

Then you might be in a minority. It also depends on your personal outlook of it, too.

Restored nameplates devalue the shirt. That's a fact. Recycled shirts do, too. All original, only worn by Peluso, now we're talking something alot different. Do those shirts exist? That's to be taken into consideration too. Someone that might be desparate or wanting badly to add a Peluso might overlook it or it won't matter. The idea is Mike wore the shirt, put some/all wear on it (photomatch to Peluso helps) and the nameplate factors in it. However, to alot of collectors, including myself, recycling/restored nameplates are not desired traits in a jersey. To spend $1000 on such is not feasable unless you really want a shirt, any shirt, of this player (or any other player).

Recycling is a sad fact of collecting. If this was original, it would have been easily worth the asking price without the gloves thrown in. The gloves at $300 are way overpriced. At $200 they're overpriced. Photomatched could bring in the $, though depending on the collector.

Which, bottom line, it's all in someone's personal views of the market, their desire to own something and how much $ is at their disposal to do so and their personal likes/dislikes. "Value" is a subject thing and we all have different views on it! :cheers:

Edited by SJP20

Then you might be in a very small minority. It also depends on your personal outlook of it, too.

Restored nameplates devalue the shirt. That's a fact. Recycled shirts do, too. All original, only worn by Peluso, now we're talking something alot different. Do those shirts exist? That's to be taken into consideration too. Someone that might be desparate or wanting badly to add a Peluso might overlook it or it won't matter. The idea is Mike wore the shirt, put some/all wear on it (photomatch to Peluso helps) and the nameplate factors little in it. However, to alot of collectors, it is not a desired trait in a jersey and is considered modifying the shirt differently then it came off the players back and the recycling factor as well.

Recycling is a sad fact of collecting. If this was original, it would have been easily worth the asking price without the overpriced gloves thrown in. The gloves at $300 are way overpriced. At $200 they're overpriced. Photomatched could bring in the $, though depending on the collector.

Which, bottom line, it's all in someone's view/knowledge of the market, anyway. It's their desire to own something and how much $ is at their disposal to do so and thier personal likes/dislikes. "Value" is a subject thing and we all have different views on it! :cheers:

I always thought the restored nameplate/recycled thing is a little silly. There are collectible items, antiques, antiquities, and art worth a whole lot more than a jersey that get restored all the time. If the Sistine Chapel can be restored, I'm okay with a gamer being restored. That's just my opinion, though. The player wore it, and that's all that really matters to me.

I also know that any Peluso is very hard to find and an all-original would likely go for a lot more money, perhaps double.

All in all. given the rarity of a Peluso Devils jersey, his popularity, and the premium given to 80-90s fighters, I think $900 is a pretty fair initial asking price, even taking into account the plate restoration. I don't know much about gloves.

I always thought the restored nameplate/recycled thing is a little silly. There are collectible items, antiques, antiquities, and art worth a whole lot more than a jersey that get restored all the time. If the Sistine Chapel can be restored, I'm okay with a gamer being restored. That's just my opinion, though. The player wore it, and that's all that really matters to me.

I also know that any Peluso is very hard to find and an all-original would likely go for a lot more money, perhaps double.

All in all. given the rarity of a Peluso Devils jersey, his popularity, and the premium given to 80-90s fighters, I think $900 is a pretty fair initial asking price, even taking into account the plate restoration. I don't know much about gloves.

Geoff, i agree with you. I think the "devalued" aspect of a recycled/restored nameplate shirt does reach a point of :rolleyes: at times and conditions. I do understand the reasoning, though, that the shirt is best left the way it is when it comes off the ice and the player's back and the more unaltered it is, the more valuable it is. Sometimes, under certain conditions, such as teams that recycled heavily or a player's rookie gamer, etc, i think it does get lost the translation of the whole thing.

Unfortunetly, this is the market we deal in. I wish my Barr/Shanahan shirt would hold value higher as being Shanahan wore it, too. It's neat to own, but it's value is not relected.

As i said, it's all in the eye of the beholder. That's why i think this hobby is always subjective and never quite as easily predictable. Someone may spend $1000 on this when other's won't.

Geoff, i agree with you. I think the "devalued" aspect of a recycled/restored nameplate shirt does reach a point of :rolleyes: at times and conditions. I do understand the reasoning, though, that the shirt is best left the way it is when it comes off the ice and the player's back and the more unaltered it is, the more valuable it is. Sometimes, under certain conditions, such as teams that recycled heavily or a player's rookie gamer, etc, i think it does get lost the translation of the whole thing.

Unfortunetly, this is the market we deal in. I wish my Barr/Shanahan shirt would hold value higher as being Shanahan wore it, too. It's neat to own, but it's value is not relected.

As i said, it's all in the eye of the beholder. That's why i think this hobby is always subjective and never quite as easily predictable. Someone may spend $1000 on this when other's won't.

Ken, restore the Shanny/Barr jersey with a Shanahan nameplate, and then post it for sale on here for $3,000! (If Mikey P is worth $900, Shanny has to be at least 3k)

Preseason or a 91-92 Barr?

Ken, restore the Shanny/Barr jersey with a Shanahan nameplate, and then post it for sale on here for $3,000! (If Mikey P is worth $900, Shanny has to be at least 3k)

Anthony, that thought crossed my mind a few times lol. That would be awesome considering there's few, if any, red/green Shanahan's out there. Unless it was a novelty for myself only, i wouldn't change it.

Being it's a preseason jersey, the numbers/letters/crest are heat sealed. I would have to be able to restore the name correctly that exact way and font size/shape. Secondly, it's an MG registered jersey and the LOA states it is Dave Barr worn from preseasons 1991-93. The LOA would be automatically voided.

I do have the jersey photomatched to both players, so that's always a nice touch even with the jersey as is.

I think i answered Geoff's question without multi-quoting lol.

Someone might have to explain the restoring of the nameplate to me as I see this as being an issue.

My opinions on it differ depending upon what is classified as "RESTORED". Here are what are the two different understandings of the words as I have come to comprehend them.

1) Restoring the nameplate to exactly how it looked on the orginal jersey. Same fabric, font, colors, materials and such were used to create a nameplate the looks like the orginal.

2) Restoring the nameplate to the EXACT nameplate that orginally on the jersey. The same one that was removed is now put back on it. The nameplate is the orginal nameplate to have been worn by the player it is now restored to.

I don't like #1, but I feel it is done more often than not. #2 is what a true restoration is. To take Geoff's example above of the Sistine Chapel: If you are restoring it to the way it was that is okay. If you are restoring to LOOK like it's the orginal way than that is a different matter.

Which has been done to the Peluso's mentioned? Is there any wear on either nameplate, color fade due to wear and washing? I'm more curious than I am being anal about it. I just want to learn and know.

Edited by Chorske17

Someone might have to explain the restoring of the nameplate to me as I see this as being an issue.

My opinions on it differ depending upon what is classified as "RESTORED". Here are what are the two different understandings of the words as I have come to comprehend them.

1) Restoring the nameplate to exactly how it looked on the orginal jersey. Same fabric, font, colors, materials and such were used to create a nameplate the looks like the orginal.

2) Restoring the nameplate to the EXACT nameplate that orginally on the jersey. The same one that was removed is now put back on it. The nameplate is the orginal nameplate to have been worn by the player it is now restored to.

I don't like #1, but I feel it is done more often than not. #2 is what a true restoration is. To take Geoff's example above of the Sistine Chapel: If you are restoring it to the way it was that is okay. If you are restoring to LOOK like it's the orginal way than that is a different matter.

Which has been done to the Peluso's mentioned? Is there any wear on either nameplate, color fade due to wear and washing? I'm more curious than I am being anal about it. I just want to learn and know.

I just assumed it was instance #1 in your post above. How could anyone but the team "restore" a jersey under the premise of #2? If it is the same nameplate that was on the jersey; as far as I am concerned there is no restoration, and it is just a regular jersey....

Have you ever watched the show Pawn Stars. They spend a ton of money to restore collectables all the time to add value.

I think it's just the type of "hobby" game worn jerseys are compared to anything else. Game worn collectors are all about "original" or getting as close as possible.

Steiner Sports had a "What's it Worth" segment on YES awhile back. A person brought in a bagful of Yankees grey road flannels. Steiner said the Yankees used to send their jerseys to their farm club and the team would strip the "NEW YORK" off and/or the numbers. The person had a few with "M. MANTLE" and "Y. BERRA" chain stitched in the neck turned into minor league jerseys. I remember Steiner saying they still would command $ even though they were altered. People would restore them as compared to the cost of an all original which is out of most people's budgets.

I have a 79-80 Washington Capitals Guy Charron with the nameplate removed. I've talked to Capitals collectors about it and they gave me a mixed bag of opinions, but mostly it's 1) restore it to the closest you can or 2) leave it go as is. I would rather leave it go then restore the nameplate to something that is not original to the shirt or looks too different/new. If it was a case where the the original nameplate came with it and was removed, i would re-attach it as at least the plate is original to the jersey. I would state this fact if i were to sell it or send it for authentication.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.