DEVILS SUPPORTERS SECTION - August 16th - come name the section and p

Satans Hockey

Regardless, all three players pointed and multiple commented on the crowd last night. The presence was felt.

It was a good crowd overall. You guys are doing a good thing, but you aren't the only fans in the arena supporting and cheering for the team.

No offense to you or others in your group, but everytime a player mentions the crowd (or coincedentally points in the general direction), please do not jump to conclusions or automatically assume they are recognizing the Supporters.

Edited by SJP20
  • Like 1

Not for nothing but everytime Rolston is announced as a Star he points to that area of the arena. I believe at friends or family as I was told. I've seen Hedberg do the same thing a few times this season including last night.

The best the team can do for his friends/family is balcony seats? He makes enough to buy them club seats for the next 100 seasons

To be fair, the only time I've heard the players reference the crowd before the supporters, was opening night a few years ago Marty was upset they couldn't managed to sell out.

This team seems to feed off the crowd much more than others in the past, especially Kovalchuk. Keep it up guys, it makes for a great atmosphere

• Like 1

Exactly unknown poster... there are the diehard fans there game in, and game out, supporting the team. Certain sections of the arena are always loud.

The balconies usually tend to be quiet due to (a) less people sitting there and/or (b) thats where they put the groups of fans that may just be coming only because they're getting cheaper/discounted tickets.

Last night the arena was packed (about 500/600 short of a sellout), it was a huge game with a playoff atmosphere, and the team is red-hot. As a result the noise will be greater.

Some of "the supporters" seem to have a very big ego about what they're doing. The Devils beat Carolina on Tuesday, and the place was loud - no "supporters" section that night.

Last night, 233 started the LGD chant that made its way through the entire arena, as mentioned by several people on the various boards.

Yes, it's nice to get one of the normally silent balconies loud via "the supporters", but don't make assumptions that every time a player says something about the crowd or points your way, its about you.

Rolston has always pointed in the direction of the Taste of Newark balcony when he comes out as one of the three stars. It had nothing to do with "the supporters". I've noticed it for years. Other players do that as well - I don't know why their friends/family are in the balcony and not in clubs/suite, but it is what it is.

Bottom line - winning and excitement translates into noise and crowd involvement all around the arena.

edited: had Wed instead of Tues - we play Carolina this week on Wed, last week on Tues...

Edited by devilsfan525
  • Like 1

I was there Tuesday(I wasn't aware they played on Wednesday), it wasn't loud at all, the place was really empty.

There's no ego here. The fact is the place has been a library for the better part of the year, and those that participate enjoy when the rest of the arena gets going as well and the players acknowledge the crowd (no one said acknowledge the supporters). This thing started in the thick of a really bad stretch of hockey, and now that the team is doing better, it's nice to see more people coming to the games and getting into it, but to flat out deny the influence of crowd noise by the section is pretty ridiculous in my opinion.

Yeah, I heard 233 a little bit. Every time they did a LGD chant though we did it as well to hopefully get all the people in between the sections to get it going as well. I prefer to sit on the other side though, but I think we might help more by being on the side opposite of 208/233 since they are usually loud already. Still, I think the supporter section has been completely beneficial and has helped the crowd presence without a doubt. None of us think we're soley responsible for crowd noise (and we want everyone to be loud like it was in the third anyway), we just think we help give the place a little more energy. Also, I'm going to assume Kovalchuk loves us and bought the 289 tickets that were given out since it will help me sleep at night and that would be the coolest thing ever.

I'm not saying that the supporters have no impact - you have definitely gotten the Taste of Newark side louder.

However, some posts sound like some (not all) of the supporters are trying to take credit for every comment, gesture, and ounce of success that comes on nights that the supporters are there. There are others that are part of the supporters that are great, and realize that they are helping to get the building going, along with 208/233, etc.

I'm part of 208, so I agree that it's great to have other parts of the arena loud.

Hurricane - I agree that the ToN balcony location helps more - it gets noise on both ends.

In terms of a library atmosphere... that comes along with the awful first half the team had - most casual fans weren't attending the games, and even some of the regulars missed games - lower attendance + losing = less noise.

Now that the team is winning (and attendance always seems to increase in the 2nd half) fans are coming back.

(adams - I fixed my earlier post to say Tues's game.. I mixed up days.. last week was Tues vs Car, this week is Wed vs Car.)

There's no ego here. The fact is the place has been a library for the better part of the year, and those that participate enjoy when the rest of the arena gets going as well and the players acknowledge the crowd (no one said acknowledge the supporters).

"Is it me or did Rolston fixate on our sections as he came out as the third star and raised his stick. Looked like we were acknowledged and appreciated. :-)"

"Yes Rolston did point us out."

"Props to Rolston for acknowledging us when he skated out after the game!"

Adam, those are three separate quotes from people in the Supporters Section since last night (on this board, i haven't even quoted HF or DR). Although you personally may have an unselfish attitude and looking at the big picture, you do have and will have members who think it's all about them.

Edited by SJP20
  • Like 1

I just want to clarify my stance since I think it's being misinterpreted. I wrote the "Props to Rolston for acknowledging us when he skated out after the game!". I only get to about 5-8 games a year and I tend to sit all over the place, and it's quite possible that Rolston wasn't a star in one of those games, hence why I may have incorrectly thought he was pointing up at the section, when he does that all the time. I honestly had no idea that he points to that area of the arena whenever he is a star so I apologize about any confusion I may have started from my lack of knowledge about that. It was an honest mistake.

In my experience with this section for 3 games, I don't get the vibe that their is an ego or anything like that. We're all fans of the same team and there to support them. I don't care if a chant starts in our section, 208, 233, etc. If someone anywhere starts a chant I'm going to join in. Who really cares about what section you're in as long as you're supporting the team. I think what most of us want in the end is the whole arena to be a united front, not just sections fighting.

Edited by thefiestygoat

If he was pointing to his family, I have to ask: how many different ways does this guy have to acknowledge his family?!?!?! between the pointing and the winking, I'm sure there's stuff we don't even know about.. "Oh look guys.. Rolston just tapped his stick on the ice 3 times.. That's his patented way of acknowledging his wife's best friend's hair dresser's former ex-roommate"

We're all fans of the same team and there to support them. I don't care if a chant starts in our section, 208, 233, etc. If someone anywhere starts a chant I'm going to join in. Who really cares about what section you're in as long as you're supporting the team. I think what most of us want in the end is the whole arena to be a united front, not just sections fighting.

Bingo, that's why we try to join in when other people in various other sections start chants. This has always been about making the entire arena louder. That's why I started this thing in the first place, to bring fans who wanted to be even louder then normal together. I don't care what section starts chants or which is the loudest, the more people who are chanting and being loud the better.

and in reference to the 3 stars things, it did look like he looked right up at us and pointed so you can't blame people for thinking he was pointing up there. I'm a full season ticket holder and I never noticed what he did during the 3 stars, never thought much of it and had no idea he was pointing at his family so it's hard to blame people for thinking that.

I've met a lot of people during these 4 supporters games and I can't say I've run into anyone with an ego. Everyone has been just happy to have some fun and be loud while rooting the team on around fellow Devils fans.

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1

There's no ego here. The fact is the place has been a library for the better part of the year, and those that participate enjoy when the rest of the arena gets going as well and the players acknowledge the crowd (no one said acknowledge the supporters).

Actually, you said on DR.com:

"Had a good time tonight, and you know I love seeing the players point right up to our section for the three stars of the game! That and the win is why we do this, after all."

• Like 1

I appreciate you stalking the other forums looking for my quotes. All three players pointed right up to the section, and I've never seen it before...people who didn't sit there texted me that the players pointed up to the section, and I do believe they did. I don't see your point, you're totally out of context, I was referring to the post game interview quotes, not the waving to the section (which obviously, even if not directed towards the section like it seemed to be, was not directed at all 17,000 fans in attendance).

But I commend your attempt to try and bring down the morale of the people who participate in this section and create a controversy when there shouldn't be one.

Edited by adam85491
  • Like 1

All you do is stir the pot. We get it, now take it out of this thread. You're not interested in participating, so there's no reason to comment about it. Thanks SUPER JAY PANDOLFO.

Aside from that, I appreciate you stalking the other forums looking for my quotes. All three players pointed right up to the section, and I've never seen it before...people who didn't sit there texted me that the players pointed up to the section, and I do believe they did. I don't see your point, you're totally out of context, I was referring to the post game interview quotes, not the waving to the section (which obviously, even if not directed towards the section like it seemed to be, was not directed at all 17,000 fans in attendance).

But I commend your attempt to try and bring down the morale of the people who participate in this section and create a controversy when there shouldn't be one.

Glad i quoted you before the edit :-)

You're talking out both sides of your mouth again, Mr. Miller. Especially when you dismiss something and proceed to say the exact same thing you dismiss or deny. You can spin it off anyway you like about context (which, coincidentally, is a word you've seemed to use on boards after i introduced it to you awhile ago), but it's there in black and white. Funny, how i quoted others and you were silent to defend and carry on, but you popped up when you were caught in the same respect.

The only reason i am even commenting about this is i knew as soon as i saw Rolston point, Hedberg point to the lower level (both players are known to do this) and Kovalchuk (when he did do this exactly?) i knew the first thing the Supporters would do is take exclusive credit for it and think it's all about them. You can call it "bringing down morale" and causing "controversy" but if you and other Supporter members are going to take exclusive credit for something among 17,000 people, you damn well better have FACT to back up what you stake claim to or assume.

I've stayed out of this Supporters (BTW, isn't everyone who comes to the game and is a Devils fan a "Supporter?) stuff for the most part, mostly out of respect for those i know who have/had participated. I'm also all for selling tickets and putting people in the seats. Besides, I've seen you devote your life to it night and day on three separate boards, so if that's your mission then Anchors Aweigh!

• Like 1

Cool story, Ken. You're insight is invaluable, I've no clue how any of us would survive without it. If you have further insight, feel free to PM me, there's no need to get this thread off topic. Thanks!

Awesome! Now run along back to DR.com where you can amuse me further by making snide, jealous elementary school comments about my Devils memorabilia collection :giggle:

• Like 1

Way ahead of you!

Figured as much! I love petty haters, the amusement is priceless! See how easy it is to predict you and measure you up? The only thing missing is your bunk bed mate, who i am sure will be arriving after he delivers the Sunday papers. :boogie:

EDIT: BTW, i am amused by the little +/- ratings game you and your brother like to play with my posts. The maturity never ceases to amaze :-)

Edited by SJP20
  • Like 1