Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Martyisth3b3st

Rebuild or reload?

40 posts in this topic

Next year, are we:

Rebuilding: another poor season, but through a solid draft and deadline moves our farm system is looking great for the future. Not the immediate future, mind you, but in 4-5 years we have the potential to become a power.

or:

Reloading: a fluke season behind us, we take advantage of the high draft pick and long offseason to fix what went wrong. Once again, we're the team that everyone bashes in the offseason, only to be surprised at the results. Our core shows up, our young talent starts to really spread their wings, and once again we're the Devils everyone fell in love with.

Honest opinion; and why?

reload

get a better coach

dump captain crybaby

either get a #2 center if arnott doesnt stay for cheap.

do anything possible to rid this team of rolston.

Its a thin line right now. This team has a lot of needs.

We do not have an NHL level defense. We need at least one more center.

Its hard to judge Marty despite him playing like ass, as the defense in front of him is so terrible.

I want to see a reload, but with more of a shake up than Lou's 'average' reload. I would like to see it start at the deadline this year.

Trade Arnott and Langs at the deadline for picks

Explore the market for Greene and Clarkson

If anyone asks about White, Sal, or Tallinder, you GIVE them away

Offseason -

Try like hell to move Rolston + one of White/Sal

Sign Parise long term, if possible

Offer Hedberg a contract - with the TDevs

Qualify Taormina and Salmela

Draft best defensemen available

Look to sign a defensemen, Ehrhoff, Brewer, or Bieksa

Give the young kids a shot to stick around again

I want to see a reload, but with more of a shake up than Lou's 'average' reload. I would like to see it start at the deadline this year.

Offseason -

Offer Hedberg a contract - with the TDevs

You haven't been watching any hockey if you think White has to go. He's been our 2nd best defenseman this year hands down.

You haven't been watching any hockey if you think White has to go. He's been our 2nd best defenseman this year hands down.

this. White is our best Dman after ATrain

Offseason -

Offer Hedberg a contract - with the TDevs HA, this made me laugh

Obviously I think we'd all prefer a reload to a rebuild...but you have to ask yourself if Lou could possibly make this team that much better through one offseason.

Even if we draft larsson, I suspect he'll play a year or two in the AHL (just seems to be the way Lou handles the rookies). So without a UFA addition, the AHL-calibur defense stays the same.

Who from this upcoming UFA class is worth signing on defense? We've all witnessed Lou bringing in an established player only to see him tank, especially with defensemen.

It seems to me that a rebuild (2+ years at least) is sorta inevitable, especially with Marty approaching retirement.

Too many holes to fill in one year. :noclue:

it's a reload, duh. you have white tallinder volchenkov in back with kovalchuk parise and zajac up front.

And look how well that turned out for us. I don't think White has to go, one of those guys does, though.

Here, You Boogers. I posted a list a week or so ago of possible players we could get in the offseason:

Defense

Francois Beauchemin TOR 1G 4A -3 3.5mil

Brent Burns MIN 6G 8A -6 3.5mil

Braydon Coburn PHI 1G 6A +6 3.4mil

Carlo Colaiacovo STL 3G 6A -8 2.5mil

Trevor Daley DAL 2G 8A +10 2.5mil

Davis Drewiske LAK 0G 5A -2 625,000

Christian Ehroff VAN 4G 8A +2 3.1mil

Mark Fistric DAL 0G 1A -1 1mil

Mark Giordano CGY 3G 10A +2 4.6mil

Nicklas Grossman DAL 0G 3A +1 1.6mil

Peter Harrold LAK 1G 3A +/- 0 500,000 UFA

Barret Jackman STL 0G 4A +8 3.6mil UFA 12-13

Tomas Kaberle TOR 0G 14A +3 4.2mil UFA

Mike Komisarek TOR 1G 6A 4.5mil

Andrej Meszaros PHI 1G *A +16 4mil

Matt Niskanen DAL 0G 3A +1 1.5mil

Theo Peckham EDM 1G 4A +4 550,000

Roman Polak STL 1G 0A +2 1.1mil RFA

Kyle Quincey COL 0G 0A -4 3.1mil

Robin Regehr CGY 0G 3A +4 4mil

Luca Sbisa ANA 0G 0A -8 875,000

Nick Schultz MIN 2G 6A -4 3.5mil

Mark Stuart BOS 0G 2A +3 1.6mil

Ryan Suter NSH 0G 6A +1 3.5mil

Marc Edward Vlasic SJS 0G 0A -6 3.1mil

Kurtis Foster EDM 3G 6A -3 1.8mil

Garnet Exelby. Great big d man. Currently with Rockford.

Goalies

Alex Auld MTL UFA 1mil

Johnathan Bernier LAK 1.525 UFA 12-13

Andrew Raycroft DAL 650,000

Mike Smith TBL 2.2mil UFA

TY Conklin STL 1.3mil UFA

Michael Leighton PHI 1.5mil

Josh Harding MIN 1.2mil UFA

I still think getting Ben Bishop from St. Louis may work.

RW

Steve Bernier FLA 3G 5A -3 2mil RFA

BJ Crombeen STL 3G 2A -7 872,000 RFA

Nigel Dawes ATL IR -6 600,000 UFA

Trent Hunter NYI 1G 3A -3 2mil

Antti Miettinen MIN 7G 6A -4 2.3 UFA

David Moss CGY 2G 3A +1 1.3mil

PA Parenteau NYI 4G 10A -5 600,000 UFA

Ryan Shannon OTT 3G 4A -2 625,000 UFA

Jakub Voracek CBJ 5G 11A -3 1.2mil

Joel Ward NSH 2G 5A -6 1.5mil UFA

Patrick Eaves DET 4G 2A +3 750,000

CENTER

Artem Anisimov NYR 7G 8A -7 812,000 RFA

Mikael Backlun CGY 3G 2A +3 787,000

Dustin Boyd MTL 1G 0A 9GP 650,000 RFA

Kyle Brodziak MIN 4G 3A +4 1.1mil

Jeff Carter PHI 12G 10A +7 5.2mil

Michael Frolik FLA 5G 9A +7 1.2mil

Mikhail Grabovski TOR 6G 12A +2 2.9mil

Chris Kelly OTT 6G 3A +/- 0 2.1mil

Maxim LaPierre MTL 4G 2A -2 900,000 RFA

Shawn Matthias FLA 4G 4A +1 795,000

Andy McDonald STL 8G 9A +3 4.7mil

Rich Peverley ATL 7G 11A -4 1.3mil UFA

Mike Ribeiro DAL 4G 19A +1 5mil

Marc Savard BOS 2 GP 4mil

Matt Stajan CGY 1G 15A +6 4.5mil

Stephen Weiss FLA 5G 6A -2 3.1mil

If you are going to argue with people's opinions,then why ask for their honest opinion. What college are you in?

Brodeur isn't what he used to be and he was never number 1 in his best year.

i'd like to get younger so if that's a rebuild then i choose that.

i'm not saying this is what they should or will do, this is just the direction i hope they take. i've been pretty optimistic all season long so far, up until these last two games. after this weekend, i really think the organization needs to start looking at an overhaul. i can live with a rebuild if it's done correctly and hopefully successfully.

get rid of langs, rolston(if possible), zubrus(though i like him), salvador, greene, clarkson, replace them with some of our prospects and free agents(for 3rd/4th line roles). keep white/elias. then tell marty this is what the franchise needs to do now. he can either stay with the team and rebuild or ask to be traded. i'd prefer he stay. but i don't think this team can be reloaded anymore. i think we need a bit of an overhaul with a new group of players. and we must keep parise.

i think zajac/parise and ilya/josefson can be the start of a really nice first two lines, with tedenby/elias thrown onto one of them.

If you are going to argue with people's opinions,then why ask for their honest opinion. What college are you in?

It's a message board. I didn't ask for everyone's opinion so I could blindly agree with it. I disagree with him, that doesn't mean I dislike him as a person or discredit his hockey sense at all.

I go to the University of Miami, why?

it's a reload, duh. you have white tallinder volchenkov in back with kovalchuk parise and zajac up front.

I really can't tell if you're serious or not.

Reload. Get a half-decent puck-moving defenseman, healthy roster, and unload some dead weight.

And look how well that turned out for us. I don't think White has to go, one of those guys does, though.

one of the worst logic fails i see around here on a consistent basis is 'we're losing with you, we can lose without you'. white is a very solid player and there's no way he should go anywhere.

i was hoping brodeur would demand a trade after last night. that would actually be an excellent result for the season if he did that.

i was hoping brodeur would demand a trade after last night. that would actually be an excellent result for the season if he did that.

that is just not going to happen. you're gonna have to give up on this dream my friend.

Obviously I think we'd all prefer a reload to a rebuild...but you have to ask yourself if Lou could possibly make this team that much better through one offseason.

Even if we draft larsson, I suspect he'll play a year or two in the AHL (just seems to be the way Lou handles the rookies). So without a UFA addition, the AHL-calibur defense stays the same.

Who from this upcoming UFA class is worth signing on defense? We've all witnessed Lou bringing in an established player only to see him tank, especially with defensemen.

It seems to me that a rebuild (2+ years at least) is sorta inevitable, especially with Marty approaching retirement.

Too many holes to fill in one year. :noclue:

i wish reload....but its got to be rebuild....but i dont think 4 years....2 top draft picks and a third for development and we'll be contenders

that is just not going to happen. you're gonna have to give up on this dream my friend.

i know it's very unlikely, but who knows? from this point forward his presence on this team is a negative.

i know it's very unlikely, but who knows? from this point forward his presence on this team is a negative.

i don't think anyone that makes decisions or pays money for season tickets thinks this.

edit: other than me

Edited by sundstrom

If done right, Devils only have to re-load. They can add a couple of picks and a prospect or two by shedding Langs and Arnott. I think guys like Greene and Clarkson could be moved as well, although the return on those two would be low. I wouldnt look to do any suprising moves right now like dealing Zajac. Deals like that are made in the offseason.

I think one of the highest priorities is getting a puck-moving defenseman in here who could help not just with a PP, but moreso being a threat of helping ease the transitional game to the forwards in rushing up the ice. Part of the reason the Devils are getting killed defensively is because opposing teams are clamping down on the neutral zone and forechecking with ease because of the lack of a threat of a quick moving transitional game with a QB type of defenseman. And we need to avoid age in getting that, which means no Kaberle. Make an aggressive move for a slightly younger guy.

I would have to think that Marty would have enough self-confidence and pride that he would not want to sit through and suffer through what may be an even more trying 2nd half of the season. It's a tough call for him, but I wouldnt blame him for wanting out, considering what he may be subjected to the rest of the year. I'd have to think teams like the Lightning and Capitals would be convincing for another run at the Cup. If he stays because he wants to retire a Devil, I can respect that. Something makes me think the competitor in him would be willing to consider getting moved.

And of course, hiring the right coach who should be hired by the new GM.