Martin Brodeur says he has no desire to be traded

Rock

Devils goalie Martin Brodeur says he has no desire to be traded

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2010/12/devils_practice_on_wednesday.html

Asked his reaction if general manager Lou Lamoriello approached him about a deal that would bring back a major talent haul for the Devils and jump-start their rebuilding process, Brodeur said, "I'll come to that bridge if it happens.

"I mean, it's a possibility. We not all untouchables. But personally, I like it here. I like playing for this organization. I guarantee we won't have two seasons like this in a row.''

This from Fire and Ice:

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/brodeur_not_interested_in_bailing_out_on_devils_in_tough_times/

Brodeur has consistently said that his intention is to play out his contract and then decide after that if he wants to continue playing. He repeated that today with a little joke thrown in about the way he felt after the Devils’ 5-1 loss in Washington on Tuesday.

“Well, today I want to play another year,” he said. “If you asked me yesterday (laughing). You have a lot of mood swings when you’re not successful, but I definitely am planning on honoring my contract. That will take me through a year after this one and we’ll see where we’re at after that.”

Anyone advocating for or even considered Marty a trade possibility is smoking something I don't want.

Really?

There is a difference between being sentimental and running a successful pro sports team. If the right package came along and Marty was willing to go, it is a no brainer. I just don't know how much the rest of the league still values his services. If the rumblings were true last year about Price or HAlak and a top 6 forward, that was the time to do it. IMHO, Mr. Brodeur is as big of a problem for this team as the AHL D or the unmotivated veteran forwards. Everyone wants to complain about Rolston and his contract, me included, yet Marty seems to get a pass. I know he isn't going anywhere, but a good business man would at least pursue it.

Really?

There is a difference between being sentimental and running a successful pro sports team. If the right package came along and Marty was willing to go, it is a no brainer. I just don't know how much the rest of the league still values his services. If the rumblings were true last year about Price or HAlak and a top 6 forward, that was the time to do it. IMHO, Mr. Brodeur is as big of a problem for this team as the AHL D or the unmotivated veteran forwards. Everyone wants to complain about Rolston and his contract, me included, yet Marty seems to get a pass. I know he isn't going anywhere, but a good business man would at least pursue it.

Its impossible to judge Marty fairly when he's been injured this season and has what he has in front of him. He's let in some softies, but he's also getting peppered when theres idiots like Greene, Tallinder, Corrente, and Fayne in front of him. The ship has sailed on trading him and getting a good return. Its also value. Teams know we are pretty much out of any sort of contention and will never give what would be considered fair by the majority of the fanbase and not cause a massive backlash.

Sentimentality of course plays a role and it should in rare circumstances. If anyone deserves a right to stay, its him. No one else. If Marty wants to stay on the ship, he has the right. He's earned it. Without him, none of the successes we've known, including the Prudential Center, exist without Marty Brodeur. His value to us is greater than anyone else if only for sentimentality.

the reason we are not embarrassed night in and night out is brodeur, he makes some pretty great saves that stop additional 4-5 goals any other goalie would have given up behind this defense.

Really? I feel this year that Marty routinely let's in a goal or two most goalies would stop and fails to make many tough stops.

The Devils are getting massively outplayed goaltending wise this season compared to their opponents.

Really?

I wouldn't commit sepukku if we got a really good return in trade for Brodeur. It's about looking forward. While Marty is the awesomest, like you said it's a business decision and ensuring the future success of this organization. Let's say the trade deadline rolls around he could get traded to a contender and come back to NJ the following season. I think Atlanta did that with Keith Tkachuk a few years ago when they got into the playoffs.

Really? I feel this year that Marty routinely let's in a goal or two most goalies would stop and fails to make many tough stops.

The Devils are getting massively outplayed goaltending wise this season compared to their opponents.

no they're not. we have no offense and we have no defense. one makes the other guy look better and the other makes ours worse.

Edited by maxpower

no they're not. we have no offense and we have no defense. one makes the other guy look better and the other makes ours worse.

How many goals have been scored against the Devils from behind the goal line in just the last handful of games? More than most teams will allow all season, I would guess. How many unscreened shots from far out are going in the net? How few really tough saves are being made?

There is a reason so many games end with chances about even between the 2 teams and the Devils lose by 4, the Devils goalies aren't making enough big saves and allowing too many mediocre ones and other teams goalies are making a lot of big saves and not allowing many crappy ones.

Sure, the defense isn't playing well and it's allowing a lot of goals that the goalies have no chance of stopping, but the goalies are also letting in way too many goals that should be routine saves as well. A good NHL goalie should make a bunch of big saves and rarely allow a weak goal, right now the Devils goalies are probably doing ok in making big saves, but not doing well in not allowing the weak goals.

Edited by Devils731

the reason we are not embarrassed night in and night out is brodeur, he makes some pretty great saves that stop additional 4-5 goals any other goalie would have given up behind this defense.

I am sorry is there a difference losing 5-1 rather than losing 9-1 or 10-1? Please help me understand how a loss isn't a loss, thanks. Is there a possibility that a girl could be only a little bit pregnant rather than pregnant?

The ship has sailed on trading him and getting a good return. Its also value. Teams know we are pretty much out of any sort of contention and will never give what would be considered fair by the majority of the fanbase and not cause a massive backlash.

I think you could get a fair return on Marty as a rental for the playoffs. There are a few teams(Washington, Atlanta et. al.) that have green golaies right now and backups with little to no playoff experience. It would be a tremendous boon to them to have a goaltender with as much playoff experience as Marty.

In addition how bad can the backlash be? Especially if we can get Marty back the following season. We're already in the toilet this season, haven't done anything to right the ship, kept our loser coach and have a fanbase that's pretty divided about whether or not signing Kovy was a good thing. I know we like to think Marty is the Devils but he's not. We're not New Jersey Marty fans, we're New Jersey Devils fans. This is team.

I think you could get a fair return on Marty as a rental for the playoffs. There are a few teams(Washington, Atlanta et. al.) that have green golaies right now and backups with little to no playoff experience. It would be a tremendous boon to them to have a goaltender with as much playoff experience as Marty.

In addition how bad can the backlash be? Especially if we can get Marty back the following season. We're already in the toilet this season, haven't done anything to right the ship, kept our loser coach and have a fanbase that's pretty divided about whether or not signing Kovy was a good thing. I know we like to think Marty is the Devils but he's not. We're not New Jersey Marty fans, we're New Jersey Devils fans. This is team.

What exactly would you consider a fair return? We're sure as hell not getting a first round pick for him nor are we going to get a top 4 defender from a team looking for a rental, especially from neither of the teams you mentioned.

If Marty was for it and the return was good, sure, it'd be something to consider, but it's not going to happen. He deserves the right to finish his career here and not go anywhere else if thats what he wants. He's the only player I would even consider giving this weight to.

And no, Marty isnt the Devils, but we certainly don't know the success we have known with him, without, and no one can argue against that. The Prudential Center likely doesn't exist and hell, the team may have been moved without Marty.

Some players are worth more than their ability on the ice/field. We're not the Yankees who sell out even if they're 1-161.

Edited by ghdi