thefiestygoat

MacLean has been fired. Confirmed on NJ.com

296 posts in this topic

i agree with DM lemaire needs to kick the sh!t out of this team... can't wait for his pressers.

I just don't see it. He "quit" months ago. He's not going to be here next year. He doesn't have a leg to stand on.

meh. the upshot of this is that we'll see how much of this is actually Johnny Mac's fault. and I get my opportunity to laugh my ass off when they still suck anyway.

Let me know when Holik say all the players have to look at themselves in the mirror. I'm sure he still sleeping well at night.

Haha! I loved that quote.

I don't believe what Kypreos says is true. I want to know if he explained himself or if he was just spouting off.

Kovalchuk is probably happy MacLean got axed, but I doubt the move was made to placate that jackass.

It's funny that you say this as Nick Kypreos on "Hockey Central" today told Dano during his interview that,

"the firing of Maclean was done only to make one player happy---Ilya Kovalchuk".

Nick Kypreos. Ell oh ell. :boogie:

Best Christmas gift ever....I'm going to miss all the emotion Johnny boy showed...and now can look forward to a night

of Chico telling us how he thought JM did a pretty good job.Now would be the time to send #15 to the rafters as a thank you for a job well done.Best crash and burn ever.

I wonder how Lemaire will react when he finds out they can't trade for Mottau since he's done for the rest of the season.

I think that could be a motivating factor for this move. I can't see guys like Langenbrunner, White, Elias being too happy with Lemaire being back. Neither of those three got along at all the end of last year with Lemaire.

Although I think Lou was told by Vanderbeek he wasnt going to pay a new coach. Any replacement had to come from the current payroll.

Elias and White are not going anywhere and Lou would never ask these two players to waive their NTC. Both will retire a Devil or at least Elias will be. Langenbrunner I agree is probably gone now after the player roster freeze to either Colorado or Calgary as rumored.

Sad to see MacLean go but he is just not ready to coach in the NHL. He should have stayed in the AHL for a few more years and build the Albany team. Now he is gone which should have been before Thanksgiving. I will miss all the interviews with him saying "Ya Know" over and over again. Ya Know? lol.

A lot of mixed emotion on this one. I'm confused among many others that Lou would make this decision now when it was clear to all of us 10-15 games ago. When Lou kept Mac as the coach I figured he was riding it out no matter how bad it got. Now we find out Lemaire is back which to me is fine because I will welcome any change at this point but it's still...confusing. Hopefully he can teach our defense how to...well...defend. That would be a start. I'd be happy with a .500 record here on out, don't know if this current lineup is capable of much more.

this will give the devils an excuse when they loose to the Islanders tonight, they will go "hey its our first day with our new coach".

That said, I'm surprised it happened this late. I've read both sides of opinions on this site about Macs future. (this is the only place i can read actual interesting devil talk, the Record doesnt cut it, the daily news has half a paragraph on a game, and listening to Chico's opinion, while informative, does make me think the Devils will win out and win the stanley cup this year). I think he had to go. Great Devils icon but I just didnt buy the team was motivated. The past few years, you could tell when they were going to win, they played hard, hit and passed great. When they lost they seemed sluggish at the start. This year , it does seem like they are working hard but that doesnt neccasarily mean the right way. I see guys busting their butts to go on offense (sadly chasing a dump in most of the time) but it seems they are doing so uncordinated. Passes miss, no ones backing up someone else, i can count the cycling the puck they do all season on my hands, no ones screening, defensive guys are hesitant to move up, and so forth.

It was easy for Mac to motivate the minor league devils team, they are motivated every day i would think to play good and get called up. Get to the NHL level and you might find more complacent guys. Leaders in battle can motivate their army to charge but if they just run unorganized into battle, bad stuff will happen. We all remember that kid in gym class that wanted to be athletic and thought he was but really just slammed into you practically tackling you weather it be defending in basketball or something volley ball related.

Devils need someone to organize them better and make them what they were. (they also need a compliment to kovy, younger better players, adn a defense, but thats for another day) thats not going to happen this year i dont think , with lemaire, but ive noticed, wehn the devlis are backing each other up and playing like they should, they have looked good this year. I think Lemaire just means langenbrunner is definalty gone. that sucks cause i got his jersey last march and got it in the mail july and then all his crap happened. sucks.

But finishing up, this is just stuff i noticed from watching the games. I now look forward to reading the thread, getting a 12 pack and watching the game tonight, maybe some of you will make me optimistic, but then agian, some fo you did that for me through the whole Kovy thing when i'd rather they didnt resign him.

But finishing up, this is just stuff i noticed from watching the games. I now look forward to reading the thread, getting a 12 pack and watching the game tonight

pretty much a good, non-biased, calm post that reflects my feelings too, and exactly how i am approaching this Islanders game.

It's Xmas eve morning here, and I have a few beers to warm me up at 11am for game time, then moving on to my good friend Jack Daniels depending on how bad we get, but it is a Xmas eve tradition for me the past several years since the Devils have played on the 23rd (USA) time, makes for a good time leading up to Xmas Eve :)

I will be tipping to the boys today in hopes our holiday season can be a smiling one - a small step at a time, winning todays game :)

It's funny that you say this as Nick Kypreos on "Hockey Central" today told Dano during his interview that,

"the firing of Maclean was done only to make one player happy---Ilya Kovalchuk".

This is the same Kypreos that said Clarkson hated it here last year and wanted a trade, a couple months before he signed a three-year extension.

as i've said since the talk of 1st overall picks and tanking has come up, it's just not a good idea. it's a fine idea for a franchise in total rebuild, but that is not this franchise. we have 4 guys in their prime who have shown themselves to be pretty darn good hockey players (parise, zajac, kovalchuk, volchenkov). by the time we'd come out of the 'tank', parise and zajac might both be gone.

There isn't much value in the top 2 picks in this draft anyway. This isn't a draft with franchise players at the top. The 1st and 2nd picks likely won't be worth the close to $4M cap hit on their ELCs. IMO getting a Saad, Murphy, Strome, Armia, Hamilton or Siemens somewhere between 5 and 8 will be just as good as picking first or second overall. I think 5 years from now, the difference between these players will be negligible and the best player may very well end up not being Couturier or Larsson.

This from Fischler:

http://www.msg.com/blogs/stan-fischler/lemaire-era-begins-again-in-newark-1.57492

Lemaire Era Begins (Again) in Newark

Lemaire walks into a dressing room that has suffered from frustration and underachievement, and faces issues with particular players that will pose a challenge. To wit:

* LEADERSHIP: Jamie Langenbrunner is captain, but upset Lemaire in the home stretch last season by beefing about being left home while injured. While some may have minimized the issue, the Devils never were the same team after that. Since opening night, the Devils have lacked pizzazz and jump; the spirit has been missing, badly. The captain is part of that problem.

*GOALTENDING: Martin Brodeur has played well but a notch below his normal high standard. Whether that's a function of a weaker defense -- the Devils have endured injuries to key backliners such as Bryce Salvador -- or an aging ace is something Lemaire will have to discern. He has a solid back-up handy in Johan (Moose) Hedberg.

* DEFENSE: Almost from the start, the backline has been a shambles. Andy Greene, a star under Lemaire, has failed miserably under MacLean. New acquisitions this season -- Henrik Tallinder and Anton Volchenkov -- have not lived up to their notices. Moving the puck out of the Devs zone and into offensive play has been one of the club's weakest points.

There isn't much value in the top 2 picks in this draft anyway. This isn't a draft with franchise players at the top. The 1st and 2nd picks likely won't be worth the close to $4M cap hit on their ELCs. IMO getting a Saad, Murphy, Strome, Armia, Hamilton or Siemens somewhere between 5 and 8 will be just as good as picking first or second overall. I think 5 years from now, the difference between these players will be negligible and the best player may very well end up not being Couturier or Larsson.

i am thoroughly unimpressed with larsson statistically. couturier isn't blowing any doors off. whoever the devils end up with, he should almost certainly stay in whatever league he's in next year. and i know you know that the bonus cushion is off next year.

the Flyers came out of the "tank" in one year. but they also pulled off a few robberies to make the team better, as well.

On December 21, 1976, the Blackhawks gave Billy Reay the hook and inserted Bill White behind the Chicago bench. The story has it that the Hawks management did not tell Reay directly that he was fired; a note was pushed under his hotel door with the dreadful news.

If true that is a gutless way to fire someone.

If true that is a gutless way to fire someone.

"Hey, I'm not supposed to be getting a bill.... oh, this is much, much worse."

the Flyers came out of the "tank" in one year. but they also pulled off a few robberies to make the team better, as well.

the difference is the devils are a better team than that one.

Nothing was really happening... I'm excited just to know that something was done. Too little too late, but... hell... Let's just have some fun trying to guess what's next...

first off, i got a message from a good friend in montreal around 830 telling me Lemaire was heading to Jersey, by 9, HNIC writers picked up on it, i texted another friend, TG then tweeted about the players only meeting, i almost freaked cause i had bested Š„klund (2.3% accurate) and then got a response from taunting him a little bit.

also, i hate to be the only delusional optimist here, but i honestly think this is a christmas miracle and we;re going to make the playoffs, even if its sneaking in, philly style, we're going to make it...

Come on we knew it was coming....If this team starts winning now,Jmac will be out of a coaching job a longtime. And Jac is a proven winner. So will see if its the players or the coaches..

no i also think we can make the playoffs now because teams are not as good as usual and 88 might not be the floor for 8th spot. we have a decent shot at phillying in.

no i also think we can make the playoffs now because teams are not as good as usual and 88 might not be the floor for 8th spot. we have a decent shot at phillying in.

If anybody can turn this around it's JL. A good coach of player evaluation. Let's Go Devils ! We start out fresh now...

the difference is the devils are a better team than that one.

What? The Flyers from a couple of years ago? How do you figure that?