ZeroGravityFat

Rumor: Devils to buy out Kovie contract

27 posts in this topic

I have ESPN Insider, mostly for Keith Law's baseball stuff, but I can't view the NHL rumors for whatever reason. Wtf. Anyway, ESPN always gets their garbage rumors from other news sources and they always twist the titles of the rumors to make you want to buy their Insider.

I have ESPN Insider, mostly for Keith Law's baseball stuff, but I can't view the NHL rumors for whatever reason. Wtf. Anyway, ESPN always gets their garbage rumors from other news sources and they always twist the titles of the rumors to make you want to buy their Insider.

i pretty much assume it's the post.

That would be one of the dumbest things to ever happen in sports.

such a stupid rumor.

If the Devils were to buy out Kovalchuk, they'd have to pay him $2.22 million annually until he's 56 years old.

1 person likes this

Buying out Kovy at this point makes no sense as the damage to the franchise is already done.

Even Espn has to know the horses have left the barn.

I won't post the whole blurb, but here's part of it.

Kevin Paul Dupont of the Boston Globe floats the interesting idea of a possible buyout of Ilya Kovalchuk by the New Jersey Devils.

Dupont points out that while owner Jeff Vanderbeek would save $31.1 million of the $93.3 million Kovalchuk is still owed, the team would still have to pay the Russian star $2.22 million annually for the next 28 years.

Link to the original story:

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/articles/2010/12/26/fehr_on_steadier_ground_as_head_of_players_union/?page=3

Wow, this is most insane thing i've seen.

Kovy is just having a bad slump, wait in the next couple of years.

Buying out Kovy at this point makes no sense as the damage to the franchise is already done.

Even Espn has to know the horses have left the barn.

You know, if your real, you must be hell to actually have to share a life/business with. Are you this frozen by choice or honestly is it just for the fun and agitation of it all that you set yourself in this mindset?

I dont understand choosing to write "the damage has been done" -- you're saying there is no move to be made for the next 10-15 years. So why even write about it? unless you're one of those spoiled kids that bitched hard and loud until mom and dad made it all better :noclue:

You're trying to accomplish something with the posts -- but it's not the Devils way, what you're doing. I dont understand how someone can say they approve of the traditional Devils business model and then proceed down this total antithetical road (how awesome is that word? Yay me!). Your bitching is as anti-Devils as the Kovalchuk move.... MORE so in fact because your completely inactive -- you're like road-kill-to-be just frozen in this retro-productive state at cost only to yourself.... it just makes no sense to me.

As for the rumor, clearly put up for chuckles. Typical ESPN humor.

I won't post the whole blurb, but here's part of it.

Kevin Paul Dupont of the Boston Globe floats the interesting idea of a possible buyout of Ilya Kovalchuk by the New Jersey Devils.

Dupont points out that while owner Jeff Vanderbeek would save $31.1 million of the $93.3 million Kovalchuk is still owed, the team would still have to pay the Russian star $2.22 million annually for the next 28 years.

Link to the original story:

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/articles/2010/12/26/fehr_on_steadier_ground_as_head_of_players_union/?page=3

So this isn't even a rumor. Just some guy in Boston thinking aloud.

I'm thinking aloud too: Crosby and Oveckin being traded to the Devils for Marty, Zajac, Rolston, Langs, Clarkson, Tallinder is in the works. Now go forth and spread the word. Amen.

I'm thinking aloud too: Crosby and Oveckin being traded to the Devils for Marty, Zajac, Rolston, Langs, Clarkson, Tallinder is in the works. Now go forth and spread the word. Amen.

I never thought I would come to this point....but I would accept that trade. Get rid of everyone expt Hedberg and a few rookies to fill the rest of the roster up.

If the Devils were to buy out Kovalchuk, they'd have to pay him $2.22 million annually until he's 56 years old.

:rimshot:

I never thought I would come to this point....but I would accept that trade. Get rid of everyone expt Hedberg and a few rookies to fill the rest of the roster up.

Oh you would accept that trade? You and any GM in the history of the league. If somehow the Devils could swing that deal (which there is NO WAY that would ever be reality) it would be the biggest heist in the history of the NHL hands down....

Oh you would accept that trade? You and any GM in the history of the league. If somehow the Devils could swing that deal (which there is NO WAY that would ever be reality) it would be the biggest heist in the history of the NHL hands down....

Devils should totally hold out for some picks in the deal though

Devils should totally hold out for some picks in the deal though

they totally meant to hold out, but the deal was so tight.