GDT: YOUR NEW JERSEY DEVILS VS NY RANGERS 12/29 7PM

ThreeCups

brodeur has had several other bad regular seasons - 2001 comes to mind. although i guess that one was merely below average and not mind-blowingly horrible.

Several other bad regular seasons? Are you fvcking kidding me with this? He's had some that weren't great from a save% standpoint (the four-year stretch from '98 to '02, when he put up save%s of .906, .910, 906 and .906 come to mind, though I wouldn't call them "bad"), but to say "several" is flat-out ridiculous.

Why is it that people feel they now have to make sh!t up to knock this guy down a peg? We have Zubie#8 saying that Brodeur's clearly been on the decline for the last four seasons, though that's easily disproven. We have DevsMan84 saying that the Devils of the 90s were mostly scoring 1 and 2 goals, though that's also not true. And to top it all off, suddenly Marty's had several bad regular seasons. Give me a fvcking break.

Maybe maxpower isn't wrong with the NJDevs hates Marty talk.

Marty's been so far below his career norm this season nobody can rightly say they saw this coming. Then again you can say that about 95% of the roster. Kovy, Zajac, Langs, LOLston, Greene...basically our entire team is performing way below what SHOULD be their worst season it's mind-boggling.

The rest of this season imo is going to be figuring out why so many big name players' production has gone in the toilet, and fixing it.

Several other bad regular seasons? Are you fvcking kidding me with this? He's had some that weren't great from a save% standpoint (the four-year stretch from '98 to '02, when he put up save%s of .906, .910, 906 and .906 come to mind, though I wouldn't call them "bad"), but to say "several" is flat-out ridiculous.

Why is it that people feel they now have to make sh!t up to knock this guy down a peg? We have Zubie#8 saying that Brodeur's clearly been on the decline for the last four seasons, though that's easily disproven. We have DevsMan84 saying that the Devils of the 90s were mostly scoring 1 and 2 goals, though that's also not true. And to top it all off, suddenly Marty's had several bad regular seasons. Give me a fvcking break.

Welcome to njdevs! Where people bash our own players (NHL All Time Great in this scenario), make up stats out of their ass, yet WE are wrong! Brodeur clearly sucks and is finished! I hope LL trades him to San Jose tomorrow for a pair of leftover Arturs Irbe worn pads, a bag of pucks, and a Cheechoo stick!

i corrected myself, though not well. he's had several average seasons. brodeur's save percentage has two confounding factors -

1: the devils have taken far fewer penalties than any nhl team since brodeur's career began

2: the devils' scorer undercounts shots on goal

the undercounting probably costs brodeur 2 shots a game at home, but the fewer penalties is definitely a bigger boost to his numbers. still, he's been more average than devils fans realize. post-lockout is really where he has shined.

Maybe maxpower isn't wrong with the NJDevs hates Marty talk.

Maybe?!?!? Some of the posts I have seen on this board over the past few weeks are downright nauseating....and these people dare to call themselves "fans"?

i corrected myself, though not well. he's had several average seasons. brodeur's save percentage has two confounding factors -

1: the devils have taken far fewer penalties than any nhl team since brodeur's career began

the undercounting probably costs brodeur 2 shots a game at home, but the fewer penalties is definitely a bigger boost to his numbers. still, he's been more average than devils fans realize. post-lockout is really where he has shined.

You are officially a joke! Please show me proof of "the devils have taken far fewer penalties than any nhl team since brodeur's career began". ALSO, if the Devils scorer "undercounts shots on goal" that would make his save percentage LOWER! If he got credit for more saves (shots on goal against) his save percentage would be HIGHER!

I think he's been well above-average to spectacular for most of his career. The four-year stretch from '98 to '02, I think he was a shade above-average, and I thought his lowest point was the '01 playoffs, specifically the '01 Finals. His game just unraveled in that series.

Compared to his peers, I think Hasek was better as a pure puck-stopper (that 6-year stretch of putting up that .930 save% was unreal), and Roy was a little more clutch, but Marty was pretty damn amazing when you factor in everything...durability, puck handling, and no discerable decline in his game through the end of last year.

Maybe?!?!? Some of the posts I have seen on this board over the past few weeks are downright nauseating....and these people dare to call themselves "fans"?

Well until recently it's been a vocal minority with LucifersDog, CRASHER and Tri at times (well he's not really a Marty hater per se, he's just said more than once his pre-lockout career was about 'average') but lately it's gotten over the top. To the point where it's starting to resemble AOL in the Kyydax days.

Edited by NJDevs4978

You are officially a joke! Please show me proof of "the devils have taken far fewer penalties than any nhl team since brodeur's career began". ALSO, if the Devils scorer "undercounts shots on goal" that would make his save percentage LOWER! If he got credit for more saves (shots on goal against) his save percentage would be HIGHER!

I don't have the exact numbers, but I do know for years the Devils were always at or near the bottom in drawing penalties and being assessed penalties. I'd be curious to know large the discrepancy is as well.

uh, duh. god you are an idiot. i said confounding factors. i did not say that both helped him.

let's see, how about proof that the devils have taken few penalties:

1994: 24th (of 26)

1995: 26th (of 26) (by 34! in a 48 game season!)

1996: 26th (of 26) (only by 22)

1997: 26th (of 26) (by only 30)

1998: 24th (of 26)

1999: 23rd (of 27)

2000: 18th (of 28)

2001: 29th (of 30)

2002: 30th (of 30)

2003: 30th (of 30) (by 44)

2004: 30th (of 30)

2006: 30th (of 30) (by 52)

2007: 30th (of 30) (by 34)

2008: 26th (of 30)

2009: 22nd (of 30)

2010: 30th (of 30)

are you happy now? do you really think there is another team who has taken fewer penalties than the devils over that span? the devils were best in the league 9 times, sometimes by a huge margin, and they were never above average. if the devils were average in penalties taken every year, brodeur would've likely faced 500-800 more power plays against than he did. that's pretty big.

76: brodeur's best assets are his longevity and durability. there are lots of non-roy, non-hasek guys over his career who are similar and maybe better, but none who've maintained it as long.

Edited by Triumph

uh, duh. god you are an idiot. i said confounding factors. i did not say that both helped him.

let's see, how about proof that the devils have taken few penalties:

1994: 24th (of 26)

1995: 26th (of 26) (by 34! in a 48 game season!)

1996: 26th (of 26) (only by 22)

1997: 26th (of 26) (by only 30)

1998: 24th (of 26)

1999: 23rd (of 27)

2000: 18th (of 28)

2001: 29th (of 30)

2002: 30th (of 30)

2003: 30th (of 30) (by 44)

2004: 30th (of 30)

2006: 30th (of 30) (by 52)

2007: 30th (of 30) (by 34)

2008: 26th (of 30)

2009: 22nd (of 30)

2010: 30th (of 30)

are you happy now? do you really think there is another team who has taken fewer penalties than the devils over that span? the devils were best in the league 9 times, sometimes by a huge margin, and they were never above average.

76: brodeur's best assets are his longevity and durability. there are lots of non-roy, non-hasek guys over his career who are similar and maybe better, but none who've maintained it as long.

Why bring up the shot counter then? This goes against your argument. Anyway, is the number in parentheses the number of penalties or total penalty minutes? For sure they were one of the least penalized, but by how much? Enough to suggest that THIS is one of the reasons Marty has had a great (or so-so by some of the people on here's standards) career?!?

Why bring up the shot counter then? This goes against your argument. Anyway, is the number in parentheses the number of penalties or total penalty minutes? For sure they were one of the least penalized, but by how much? Enough to suggest that THIS is one of the reasons Marty has had a great (or so-so by some of the people on here's standards) career?!?

uh, my 'argument' is attempting to figure out where brodeur deserves to be ranked, not to hate on him. 4978 rightly notes that i am not a brodeur hater, but i don't think he's the best ever or particularly close. the shot counting thing makes it more difficult to rank him because he's been robbed of saves that other goalies get.

but yes, it's by power plays. in 2006, the league average number of power plays against was 480. the devils took 349 penalties. in 07, it was 398, and the devils took 271 penalties. i estimated that brodeur faced 500-800 fewer total power plays than the average over that time span, but i think it's closer to 700-1000 power plays that brodeur has had the benefit of not having to face. that's pretty enormous over the course of a career.

Edited by Triumph

For what it's worth, the all-time save% leaders...Marty is tied for 10th all-time.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/leaders/save_pct_career.html