My Draft Philosophy

Jas0nMacIsaac

Triumph made a valid point that paying 3.5 million for an 18 year old just doesn't make sense for a winning franchise. That money could be used to make this team a valid contender to win the cup. An 18 year old rookie making 1.2-1.5 million is acceptable and would allow us to resign Parise long term and use a highly skilled kid in the lineup.

I suggest trading down to the #7 spot and drafting Ryan Strome, a player who I feel will be the best player in the draft regardless. He is 6`1 183 so size will not be an issue, not to mention I feel his skill set is among the best in the CHL. He has excellent speed, amazing side to side mobility for a bigger kid and he is a sniper. To me he is this years version of Skinner only bigger. If I had to compare him to an NHL player it would probably be Corey Perry.

By making this trade you gain valuable assets in the trade. To move from #7 to #1 would cost At least an additional 2nd round and a good prospect. This also positions the Devils to sign Strome for around 1.3 million which is acceptable towards next years cap.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Triumph made a valid point that paying 3.5 million for an 18 year old just doesn't make sense for a winning franchise. That money could be used to make this team a valid contender to win the cup. An 18 year old rookie making 1.2-1.5 million is acceptable and would allow us to resign Parise long term and use a highly skilled kid in the lineup.

I suggest trading down to the #7 spot and drafting Ryan Strome, a player who I feel will be the best player in the draft regardless. He is 6`1 183 so size will not be an issue, not to mention I feel his skill set is among the best in the CHL. He has excellent speed, amazing side to side mobility for a bigger kid and he is a sniper. To me he is this years version of Skinner only bigger. If I had to compare him to an NHL player it would probably be Corey Perry.

By making this trade you gain valuable assets in the trade. To move from #7 to #1 would cost At least an additional 2nd round and a good prospect. This also positions the Devils to sign Strome for around 1.3 million which is acceptable towards next years cap.

jas0n - here's the issues with this:

1) it's terribly shortsighted. the devils have only next year to really be concerned about not having the bonus cushion. not drafting courtierer or larsson or rnh or even landeskog just because it's a squeeze for next year is really a mistake. if these guys are good enough to make the team, and the $ is an issue, tell zubrus to get an Albany Zagat. and frankly, if the devils are that close, then leave the pick w/ their existing team for a year or put them in Albany.

2) lets see how all these guys end this year. i'm not about to claim i know anything more than i read about these guys. this is an area i will absolutely defer to you on, but if strome is slotted at 5-7 by most, then the consensus has to be looked at.

3) after this disaster of a year, the devils will need a huge PR summer to try and keep people buying tickets. a 1st overall pick has that kind of hype, even if he's not crosby or stamkos.

4) there's no guarantee that strome (the guy you want) is there when you're ready to draft at 7 or so. you have to say you're trading for any one of 7 players (one who might be a LW - meaning not a position of need at all), a 2nd round pick (which in this draft appears to be hit or miss) and a prospect.

i don't hate the idea, but i want to make sure there is serious quality coming back. hopefully (and most likely), the devils will not be drafting in this area again for a decent amount of time.

1) it's terribly shortsighted. the devils have only next year to really be concerned about not having the bonus cushion. not drafting courtierer or larsson or rnh or even landeskog just because it's a squeeze for next year is really a mistake. if these guys are good enough to make the team, and the $ is an issue, tell zubrus to get an Albany Zagat. and frankly, if the devils are that close, then leave the pick w/ their existing team for a year or put them in Albany.

2) lets see how all these guys end this year. i'm not about to claim i know anything more than i read about these guys. this is an area i will absolutely defer to you on, but if strome is slotted at 5-7 by most, then the consensus has to be looked at.

3) after this disaster of a year, the devils will need a huge PR summer to try and keep people buying tickets. a 1st overall pick has that kind of hype, even if he's not crosby or stamkos.

4) there's no guarantee that strome (the guy you want) is there when you're ready to draft at 7 or so. you have to say you're trading for any one of 7 players (one who might be a LW - meaning not a position of need at all), a 2nd round pick (which in this draft appears to be hit or miss) and a prospect.

i don't hate the idea, but i want to make sure there is serious quality coming back. hopefully (and most likely), the devils will not be drafting in this area again for a decent amount of time.

I was in the middle of writing a big long post, no need. This. +1. 100% agree.

i feel this draft year is not that high in skills... sucks that were gonna get a good pick this year but wtv... i really dont think Couturier/Larsson are as good as any other top 2 in the last 10 years lets say...

but some are saying that Larsson could be the next Lidstrom and that he should be better than Hedman... i'd like to take a chance at least... i really feel Couturier is not as good as Hall, Tavares, etc etc tho...

After watching the WJC I have not seen anything elite in the top 3 picks, all are excellent prospects but I doubt any would have a great impact until 20, Larsson has made a lot of poor decisions and reads from what I have seen. Couturier will need an extra couple of years to refine his skating, when he does develop a more powerful first step he should be smart enough to jump right into the NHL.

Sundstrom, you are right. It is best to see how things end up this season, who is where in the draft order and what prospects gain momentum.

I don't know if PR can be taken into consideration for a draft selection, that is what teams like Edmonton and New York Islanders do. I say Lou does what is best for the Devils. Say Columbus is the 7th overall pick. I would contemplate a Russell + 7th overall + 37th overall for 1st overall pick.

We need a draft pick that could see some NHL action some time next season. I'm not saying the whole 82 games but it would be nice to have the option to call him up. With the way the season is going it's going to be very difficult to appeal to any worthwhile talent from other teams to sign here in the off-season.

We need a draft pick that could see some NHL action some time next season. I'm not saying the whole 82 games but it would be nice to have the option to call him up. With the way the season is going it's going to be very difficult to appeal to any worthwhile talent from other teams to sign here in the off-season.

Outside of Landeskog, I don't think there are any players in the draft that can play effectively in the NHL next season. Larsson could probably play in the NHL, but I think he'd have a really really rough season. I think Couturier would have a Joe Thornton type, 10-15 point rookie season.

There's something I can't really stomache about finishing dead last, the worst in franchise history, and picking 7th.

I hope the Devils scouts agree with me, cause then you possibly get the best player in the draft at 7 while picking up additional assets. Lets see where Strome is next year, because all these players are essentially a year older then him and a full year ahead in development time against better players.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

Gabriel Landeskog (RW) and Nugent-Hopkins ©. I woudl also like to see the Devils pick up someone like Ryan Murphy who is a really decent offensively skilled D-man.

Gabriel Landeskog: 2010/11 - 32GP 25G 20A 45P +23 43PIM Kitchener (OHL)

Height: 6.00 | Weight: 201 | Birthdate: 11/23/92 | Nationality: Swedish

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins: 2010/2011 - 37GP 10G 38A 48P 29PIM Red Deer Rebels (WHL)

Height: 6.00 | Weight: 155 | Birthdate: 04/12/93 | Nationality: Canadian

Ryan Murphy: 2010/11 - 31GP 15G 33A 48P +15 14PIM Kitchener (OHL)

Height: 5.10 | Weight: 165 | Birthdate: 03/31/93 | Nationality: Canadian

I'll take calling up Couturier coming up to play 50 or so games next season just to get him ready. The real problem lies in being able to get any UFAs worth a damn to come play in New Jersey. We gotta make the future look promising or we'll become Edmonton. We're at a precipice and what we do in the upcoming offseason will be a make or break for this team's future. Look at the Oilers: They are a club with 5 cups and they went to Game 7 of the SCF in 05-06 and practically no one wants to play for them. We can't rest on our past successes if we want talent to sign here. We gotta be smart.

I don't see the hefty rookie contract being a problem... If I'm Lou then after this season Langenbrunner, Arnott, White or Salvador, Hedberg and Rolston are GONE. Somehow and some way. Adam Larsson is something this team might have a chance to get only this one and maybe not for years years to come. You don't pass that up. Especially when he can have guys like Tedenby, Josefson, Urbom, and Tallinder as his friends and mentors. It fits very well.

the irony here is that it's way more shortsighted to have an 18 year old player wasting ELC and free agency years when he probably isn't ready to play in the NHL. it's ironic that you mention stamkos - the seensteven.com website was lambasted by everyone here, and the NHL wags said that the hype was why stamkos struggled in his rookie year. funny how that narrative is gone now.

and if he's patrik stefan?

i think jason is being presumptuous that a particular player will land in a particular spot. the draft is a tricky bird. you can't just trade down 6 spots and expect to have 'your guy' available, especially in the top 10. i don't think the devils should be at all averse to moving down, though.

After watching the WJC I have not seen anything elite in the top 3 picks, all are excellent prospects but I doubt any would have a great impact until 20, Larsson has made a lot of poor decisions and reads from what I have seen. Couturier will need an extra couple of years to refine his skating, when he does develop a more powerful first step he should be smart enough to jump right into the NHL.

Sundstrom, you are right. It is best to see how things end up this season, who is where in the draft order and what prospects gain momentum.

I don't know if PR can be taken into consideration for a draft selection, that is what teams like Edmonton and New York Islanders do. I say Lou does what is best for the Devils. Say Columbus is the 7th overall pick. I would contemplate a Russell + 7th overall + 37th overall for 1st overall pick.

Larsson was pretty meh the first couple of games, but he was brilliant vs Russia.

i think jason is being presumptuous that a particular player will land in a particular spot. the draft is a tricky bird. you can't just trade down 6 spots and expect to have 'your guy' available, especially in the top 10. i don't think the devils should be at all averse to moving down, though.

That's the biggest part of my thoughts that people are totally against. They think no matter what we should keep the high pick, it would be poor management to ignore all possible scenarios. I think trading down may warrant you greater value, people will pay for the number 1 buzz factor.

Couturier is going to go before we have our first pick. He is in the top 5 of prospects and his name is now more out there with the WJ's. I cant see us getting to him in time.

We're dead last in the league by a mile, why wouldn't it be feasible that we could end up with 1st pick? We've got a 1 in 3 chance.

Even though a last place finish is likely, there's a chance we won't even get the first pick. Jason,how does your philosophy change if we get the 3rd? That "buzz" for the first will no longer be there and it may be safer to draft a larsson, couturier or nugent hopkins at that point.

Even though a last place finish is likely, there's a chance we won't even get the first pick. Jason,how does your philosophy change if we get the 3rd? That "buzz" for the first will no longer be there and it may be safer to draft a larsson, couturier or nugent hopkins at that point.