Patty = All star representative

ghdi

Patty picked second to last in mock draft! :noclue:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=549088

Not that it means anything, I hope he goes there and puts on a damn show! :evil:

Great! Patty treated like the fat kid in dodgeball. Patty should just walk around during the weekend with his cup rings on. "Kiss the rings, Bitch!"

Considering that four teams only are represented by rookies in the skills competition, we should consider ourselves "lucky" to have a player slotted in. That is, if we gave a damn about the ASG.

Hell no!! I'm a typical Devils fan, and this makes me mad (like everything else the NHL does)!!!! They should have kept Elias out of the ASG so that I could complain that Bettman is screwing us again.. Now he goes and give us, the worst team in the league, a player in the game while 4 other teams don't get players in the game.. How am I supposed to complain?!?!? We better get 3rd in the draft lottery to make up for this!!

Edited by Colin226

Glad he's been selected but Elias has no business at this game.

Before the mob starts citing history, respect, and his career remember that this kind of stuff is based on season performance.

I don't care that he's leading blah on a bad team.

If I were those other 4 teams I'd be upset - and if another bottom dweller got in over a worthy devil in a worthy devil year this board would be crying bloody murder.

Not trying to start a beef where's there's none - but this move should temper some of the Bettman conspiracy theorists.

Before the mob starts citing history, respect, and his career remember that this kind of stuff is based on season performance.

If I were those other 4 teams I'd be upset - and if another bottom dweller got in over a worthy devil in a worthy devil year this board would be crying bloody murder.

Not trying to start a beef where's there's none - but this move should temper some of the Bettman conspiracy theorists.

man it's like everyone on this board, including me, has lost their minds. the all-star game has to take someone from every team, and it's in the game's best interests to do so. they've pushed some selections on to the rookie skills team where possible, but someone from each team is going to the game.

elias has had a really good season. does he deserve the all-star game? no, he doesn't, and it sounds like he doesn't want to go. still, he started slow and has become the team's clear best player.

Edited by Triumph

We're Devils fans, man! We'll find other reason's to complain and will forget this one thing that went in our favor, as we've always done.. Temper Bettman conspiracy theories? Hell no, this was his fake to make us think there is no conspiracy.. It's all part of his plan!!

tin-foil-hat.jpg?rand=207085591

Edited by Colin226

man it's like everyone on this board, including me, has lost their minds. the all-star game has to take someone from every team, and it's in the game's best interests to do so. they've pushed some selections on to the rookie skills team where possible, but someone from each team is going to the game.

elias has had a really good season. does he deserve the all-star game? no, he doesn't, and it sounds like he doesn't want to go. still, he started slow and has become the team's clear best player.

Its a sad state of affairs when a marquis player making $6M of cap space has 30pts at the half-way mark and we consider that "a really good season".

Now spare me the intangibles, loyalty, history, and "heart and soul" of the Devils bit - but by season performance alone he shouldn't be anywhere near this game - and he's acknowledged it.

Its a sad state of affairs when a marquis player making $6M of cap space has 30pts at the half-way mark and we consider that "a really good season".

Now spare me the intangibles, loyalty, history, and "heart and soul" of the Devils bit - but by season performance alone he shouldn't be anywhere near this game - and he's acknowledged it.

But if it was Langenbrunner going........................................

:P

But if it was Langenbrunner going........................................

:P

I don't think Langenbrunner has EVER had a season worthy of being at this game.

ITs all about what the elite are doing around the league.

Patty's a respected vet but is no longer an elite-level player.

I don't think Langenbrunner has EVER had a season worthy of being at this game.

ITs all about what the elite are doing around the league.

Patty's a respected vet but is no longer an elite-level player.

Come on DevilinLA you know i was being sarcastic about previous debates.

I agree with what you are saying, this team only has 2 elitle level players , one is far from being at the right level and the other one is sat in the stands watching.

But given the structure of the ASG and player selection methods patty is by far the only player deserving to go and represent the Devils.

I am hoping Patty can keep putting up the points and end the season close to a point per game player.

scoring is down on the entire team. a falling tide lowers all boats. playing with sacks of garbage like rolston and langenbrunner is not going to help matters.

• Like 1

Elias thought Kovalchuk should have gone to the ASG. Elias feels undeserving of All-Star selection.

“It’s just a weird situation,” Elias said. “Do I feel good about my game? Yeah. Do I deserve to be one of the top 20 guys in the Eastern Conference? I don’t think so. Just because of this team’s results this season.”

“If the team isn’t doing well it doesn’t show in the stats, obviously,” Elias acknowledged. “But you have guys who have more than 40 or 50 points and their teams are winning, so those guys deserve to be there. It’s just reality.”

Elias said if the league felt it was necessary to send a Devils player to the All-Star Game, it should’ve been Ilya Kovalchuk. He is, after all, the $100 million marquee player fans like to see at these events.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2011/01/devils_patrik_elias_feels_unde.html

Elias also said he's honored to be Devils' All-Star representative....

"I'll go. It's a weird situation, no doubt about it, because of where we are in the standings," Elias said today. "Still, it's a privilege to be selected in any kind of situation. It's always an honor, so I'll go."

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2011/01/patrik_elias_says_hes_honored.html

scoring is down on the entire team. a falling tide lowers all boats. playing with sacks of garbage like rolston and langenbrunner is not going to help matters.

Seriously, thats your argument? Did the tide lower production throughout the whole league?

What about Arnott and Tedenby?

Feel this one my sabermetrics friend, Daniel Briere (39GP 22G 15A +19) was NOT selected, Elias was!

If those two players stats were reversed this board would be donning their tinfoil hats.

Patty's a great player but this purely stupid - the BEST players having the BEST seasons should play. Period.

Seriously, thats your argument? Did the tide lower production throughout the whole league?

Feel this one my sabermetrics friend, Daniel Briere (39GP 22G 15A +19) was NOT selected, Elias was!

If those two players stats were reversed this board would be donning their tinfoil hats.

Patty's a great player but this purely stupid - the BEST players having the BEST seasons should play. Period.

Sure..but every team has to be represented at the all-star game in some way. Elias shouldn't be there over a lot of guys, but who cares. Why is this an NJ thing? Every single fanbase happily obliges when they benefit from the rule, and complain when they get screwed like Philly did this year.

The Devils have lost some all-stars through the years and benefit this season. Same with Ottawa. Keep in mind a lot of guys around the league asked not to be selected for personal reasons. In the end...it really does not matter.

and those guys have been bossy and trottier this year? here's a hint: NO ONE on the devils is scoring. barely anyone has gone through what could be classified as a hot streak.

great! briere's had a way better season than elias and deserves to go. those aren't the rules. do i get to trade the devils's season for philadephia's too? i don't like philadelphia so i am glad that daniel briere isn't going. i'm actually a fan of a hockey team and that means i don't like other teams.

it's the all-star game. people get all bent out of shape about all-star games in every league and what they fail to realize is that the all-star game is a totally forgettable event that half the players don't even want to go to.

Edited by Triumph

The all-star game is just a popularity contest so who really cares? Sidney Crosby could have a season ending injury during opening night and he would still lead the all-star balloting by the time the game rolls around. That's why the Hawks players got votes. They, along with the Penguins are the most exposed to the casual fan. It's not like the Hawks' players are blowin sh%t up this season.

My feeling about any All-Star game is the same feeling I had when I collected baseball cards and I'd get one of those All-Cards in my pack. meh. It's okay but it's pretty much not worth anything.

And DevilinLA, it's all well and good that Briere has really good stats but look at the guys he's playing with. Switch Briere and Elias on the teams and I'm sure Patty's stats climb up.

Edited by CarpathianForest

and those guys have been bossy and trottier this year? here's a hint: NO ONE on the devils is scoring. barely anyone has gone through what could be classified as a hot streak.

great! briere's had a way better season than elias and deserves to go. those aren't the rules. do i get to trade the devils's season for philadephia's too? i don't like philadelphia so i am glad that daniel briere isn't going. i'm actually a fan of a hockey team and that means i don't like other teams.

it's the all-star game. people get all bent out of shape about all-star games in every league and what they fail to realize is that the all-star game is a totally forgettable event that half the players don't even want to go to.

Well, I'm electing to argue the PRINCIPLE of the idea (like you do often).

IT should be about PLAYER PERFORMANCE instead of team representation. Yes, I get the revenue arguments.

The whole thing is kind of stupid to begin, but if its suppose to be a group of ALL-STARS it should be guys who are playing the best - not merely the best of a terrible group of players having a terrible season.

My beef is that you think a $6M player with Elias's point tally is having a GOOD season - and then turn to blame on Rolston and Langenbrunner - without even acknowledging that he's played quite a share with Arnott and Teddy as well. We're not talking linemates of Adam Mair and PL3 caliber here. I get that Elias's value is intangible to the team, and that he tries really, really hard, and he's some kind of voice of leadership, and he should get his graham crackers and juice for playing with heart.

My point is that a $6M player with Elias's icetime and linemates, just like the rest of this abomination of a team, is not having A GOOD SEASON. ...and yes you bring in the Kovalchuk arguments too.....

Well, I'm electing to argue the PRINCIPLE of the idea (like you do often).

IT should be about PLAYER PERFORMANCE instead of team representation. Yes, I get the revenue arguments.

The whole thing is kind of stupid to begin, but if its suppose to be a group of ALL-STARS it should be guys who are playing the best - not merely the best of a terrible group of players having a terrible season.

My beef is that you think a $6M player with Elias's point tally is having a GOOD season - and then turn to blame on Rolston and Langenbrunner - without even acknowledging that he's played quite a share with Arnott and Teddy as well. We're not talking linemates of Adam Mair and PL3 caliber here. I get that Elias's value is intangible to the team, and that he tries really, really hard, and he's some kind of voice of leadership, and he should get his graham crackers and juice for playing with heart.

My point is that a $6M player with Elias's icetime and linemates, just like the rest of this abomination of a team, is not having A GOOD SEASON. ...and yes you bring in the Kovalchuk arguments too.....

Let's get this straight: NO ONE on the Devils is having what most of us would classify as a good season. Elias is just the least-smelly turd in the bowl.

That said, someone from every team goes. That's just how it is. You can argue the principle of it all you want, but that won't change it.

The least-smelly turd goes. And Patty is, BY FAR, the rosiest-smelling log on our steaming pile. It is what it is. I can understand Philly fans being upset, but I couldn't care less. In fact, anything that upsets Philly fans is A-OK in my book. They'll be in the playoffs this year while we sit around and pray Parise signs long-term. I'm sure they won't be shedding any tears for us then.