Real Life Intrudes

Nieuwy25

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surgery will not be til 10/5 . . . TWO WEEKS to wait!!! :argh:

They will take out the lumps, biopsy them, (they apparently aren't 100% sure they are malignant), then decide if they need to take out more, etc.

So the waiting continues. :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey boys & girls -

just popping on for a minute. I'm heading over to my Mom's for the rest of the weekend, and Monday will be very busy at work, so I just wanted to ask you all to remember to pray for Nathan as he goes in for surgery Tuesday (about 12:30 EDT). I'll be with him Tuesday & Wednesday. They expect him to come home Wednesday, so we'll bring him here until he feels up to going back to his apartment. I'll try to post as soon as possible when I know anything more.

Thanks, everybody! Big hugs to you all for caring!!! You're the best!

OK. Back at work now. Nathan had his surgery Tuesday, but it didn't go as well as the surgeon had predicted. It took 4 hours, and the growths were malignant and they had to take out the whole thyroid. They're keeping him an extra day to make sure his parathyroid glands weren't damaged, which affects calcium levels. He should be going home today. My husband is with him today.

If the biopsy confirms that it's "papillary" cancer, which is the most common kind of thyroid cancer, then in 6-8 weeks he will go back in to the hospital and have a radioactive iodine treatment, & be isolated for a few days, and that should be it.

Please let that be it!!! :pray:

• 3 weeks later...

I just realized I hadn't updated this - I was on vacation and have also been super busy at work so I haven't been around here much.

We did get confirmation that the cancer was the "papillary" type - which is great news. Nate has been referred to an oncologist who will do the radioactive iodine procedure, but we don't have a date yet. It'll be sometime around Thanksgiving, it looks like. Once that is done, they'll start him on the synthroid (thyroid hormone replacement) which he'll take the rest of his life. He'll have a scan done a couple of times over the next year or so just to make sure the cancer doesn't show up anywhere, and that will be that.

I've been on synthroid for over 15 years, and the great thing about it is that there are no side effects - it simply replaces what your body should be producing anyway. So there are no worries there.

All in all - - - - we're very thankful that this is the best scenario we could have hoped for. Thank you all SO MUCH for your thoughts and prayers for us!!!