ghdi

The Devils Minority partners are looking to sell their share.

227 posts in this topic

Breaking on Twitter.

"BREAKING: NHL's Devils for sale - person familiar tells Bberg News Devils owner Vanderbeek has hired Moag & Co to oversee sale"

http://twitter.com/#!/MicheleSteele/status/32501002494021633

Bloomberg News article

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-02-01/devils-owner-vanderbeek-said-to-be-seeking-buyer-for-nhl-team.html

Chere article stating the Devils will issue a statement that the team is NOT for sale

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2011/02/devils_will_issue_statement_sa.html

Edited by ghdi

oh boy! Wonder what this means

It means we're going to have new ownership within a year or so and who knows what they will want to do.

Cue the Jim Balsillie or Prohorov rumors.

Perfect timing. Just what the players need now. I hope they are not distracted by this

No Vanderbeek seemed committed to the team especially after signing Kovy.

VBK is a businessman first and foremost and like a good politician he'll tell you what you want to hear.

Edited by SJP20

This is old news. The reason we got Kovy was to sell to team to the Nets Russian owner.

Edited by MantaRay

VBK's clearly taken a bath on the team, and the company he made his fortune with went bankrupt after he left. He does seem like such a good ambassador for the team that I hope he's not selling his entire stake in it.

I would assume VBK would want to force the new owner into a long term deal at the Arena, or sell the stakes both at the same time, which would make the new owner want to stay there.

Brooks: Devils' ownership situation will make it it nearly impossible to lock up Parise long-term. Not good. #Understatement.

Not surprising as there have been rumors since the Lehman incident, that Vanderbeek took a significant personal hit. The news breaking now probably means the sale would look to happen over the summer before next season.

I can't see the NHL approving any new owner moving the Devils, so let's drop that fantasy right here and now. The Devils have grown into a fairly stable and marketable entity, especially when compared to a lot of other teams (Coyotes, Thrashers, Panthers, Islanders and a few others like the Lightning and Blues who have had continual ownership or money issues, gate attendance, etc).

I wonder what this means for Lou. Likely retirement sometime soon, probably sooner rather than later. I'm all for a new owner if it means preventing Chris Lamoriello from inheriting the GM spot.

This does add a wrinkle into the Parise situation most certainly.

does this just about screw us over in getting parise locked in? that's my major concern. we're not going anywhere...but this could be a huge mess all around. what a year to forget.

does this just about screw us over in getting parise locked in? that's my major concern. we're not going anywhere...but this could be a huge mess all around. what a year to forget.

It doesnt completely screw us out of Parise, but its going to make it INCREDIBLY harder to lock him up, not that it was an easy thing to begin with.