Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xrafalskix

Penguins & Stars Trade

22 posts in this topic

Stars Trade James Neal and Matt Niskanen for Alex Goligoski

That requires a double take, WTF?!

That's lame that the Penguins always seem to commit highway robbery.

Edited by CarpathianForest

This really is a pretty even trade. If anything I think Dallas got the better deal. They have plenty of young forwards on the team/in the system and Goligoski is a really good offensive defensemen who will be entering his prime soon. He's already put in 9 goals this year too along with being a +20.

I thought neal would be considered more valuable than that...interesting

I thought neal would be considered more valuable than that...interesting

That's why it's a steal.

I thought so. I also think that's the only fight either one of them has had in their careers.

Crosby has had a few... Several of which he started without letting the other fighter know that they would be fighting.

Crosby has had a few... Several of which he started without letting the other fighter know that they would be fighting.

Yeah that's true... There was also the time he cockpunched that guy. But I think Niskanen is the only guy he's fought who he actually informed beforehand. :P

Neal will be a solid winger on Crosby or Malkin's line for years. He's streaky, but he can certainly put the puck in the net. He's like a bigger, younger version of Kunitz, with more of a nose for the net. Niskanen is a nice all-around defenseman, too.

Goligoski has the tools to be a powerplay quarterback, and that's something the Stars have been missing since Zubov's departure. Robidas is a nice d-man, but not really a true QB.

I still give the edge to Pittsburgh in this deal. I think they come away with more.

Dallas could have some offensive issues in the immediate future without Neal and with Richards having concussion-like symptoms. That's a lot of weight on the shoulders of Eriksson, Ribeiro, Morrow, and Benn. Probably more time for Steve Ott, too.

Pros: One less winger means Dallas is more likely to re-sign Langenbrunner

Cons: Pittsburgh is almost certainly 2-3 wins per season stronger than they were before this deal.

Pros: Less of a chance the Pens nab Parise.

Cons: "Oh, here go hell come!"

With all these trades, lopsided or otherwise, is possible we can see Matt Duchene for Jason Arnott or Brian Rolston for Rick Nash? :rolleyes:

This really is a pretty even trade. If anything I think Dallas got the better deal. They have plenty of young forwards on the team/in the system and Goligoski is a really good offensive defensemen who will be entering his prime soon. He's already put in 9 goals this year too along with being a +20.

Just because they have young forwards, doesn't mean you **** one of 'em away as a virtual throw-in for what would have been an even or close D-D swap.

If anything it proves the price for PMD's is still through the roof, like Boston giving up the store for Kaberle when he's a rental and would only go there anyway.

Can't blame Niewenduyk for trying to land a young blueliner to help the PP and get the puck up the ice. Niskanen was a huge disappointment and Robidas is starting to get older.

Goligoski is a solid offensive defenseman. Good passer and puck mover with some Rafalski like ability on the PP and in getting some goals. Needs to improve his commitment to the defensive aspects though.

Neal is a good winger but he may be plateauing as we speak. People will call this a steal because he's playing with Crosby. Crosby can make an AHL winger look like a star.

All in all, I think it's a fair deal. Pens were dealing from a position of strength.

I don't understand what Dallas is thinking. This is a steal for Pitt.

I know that Goligoski had trouble the past few years under Blysma and played mainly because of injuries to Gonchar for the most part.

This is a trade of disappointing young blueliners and for some reason a James Neal got thrown in.

Pittsburgh's D doesn't get hurt at all by this, but Dallas whose season is probably done without Richards is less a good young forward.