GDT: YOUR NEW JERSEY DEVILS @ ATLANTA THRASHERS 3/11 7:30PM

ThreeCups

Nobody is disappointed we let the Thrashers get a point?

I second this, im worried. 1 point may be the difference between us getting in or not...

We didn't exactly dominate ATL, but they eked it out with BARELY enough offense. I think the guys on the team have been reading the papers. This isnt the same kind of effort we saw vs the Bolts when this started.

color me worried. I want a win next game vs ATL...

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I second this, im worried. 1 point may be the difference between us getting in or not...

Not against Atlanta. If we're not in the clear of them by the end of the season we're not making the playoffs regardless cause we won't be ahead of other teams we need to be ahead of as well. The only teams getting one point that really concern me (in games against us) are the Rangers and Buffalo, depending on where both are by the time we play them - if we're still in the race by then ourselves. Maybe Toronto but I think they'll be out of the mix by April 6.

We didn't exactly dominate ATL, but they eked it out with BARELY enough offense. I think the guys on the team have been reading the papers. This isnt the same kind of effort we saw vs the Bolts when this started.

Well they've gone into a bunker mentality since the game in Dallas, and yes that does concern me. You can't keep trying to win one-goal games every night when you average less than two per game, you have to eventually have a few laughers.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Not against Atlanta. If we're not in the clear of them by the end of the season we're not making the playoffs regardless cause we won't be ahead of other teams we need to be ahead of as well. The only teams getting one point that really concern me (in games against us) are the Rangers and Buffalo, depending on where both are by the time we play them - if we're still in the race by then ourselves. Maybe Toronto but I think they'll be out of the mix by April 6.

Well they've gone into a bunker mentality since the game in Dallas, and yes that does concern me. You can't keep trying to win one-goal games every night when you average less than two per game, you have to eventually have a few laughers.

+1, I agree. The counter argument is, if you actually look at the scores between playoff bound teams in the EC, you will notice, every single game is a 1 goal victory. If Thrashers, scored 3, devils would ramp it up and score 4. It just seems that teams are playing to get a lead and then sit there. The Sens beat us and the Lightnings because they are playing for pride and fearless hockey. In the beginning we played fearless hockey and see the run we got into (more like mess as they have me biting my nails at times ... lol). Its just that when the guys realized playoffs, they went into this bunker mentality. Still, I agree we should get back to playing the way we were, we scored more, were more aggressive and always kept our feet moving thinking offense. I thought the Devils were more aggressive in the first, hopefully they regain that magic in the next couple of games.The devils, I feel, are still in their dip and their play in the first period seemed like the first concerted effort to get out of it as I felt they tried hard to score.

Edited by Anhkheg

White did bump the Thrasher into Marty....

White barely touched Antropov. Antropov did nothing to avoid Marty. I'm not even looking for a penalty, but the goal obviously should have been waved off for incidental contact. Marty was given no chance to save the puck due to Antropov's positioning. It was pretty much a textbook example of a no goal and no penalty waive off.

Edited by Devils731

Strange game from Kovy last night, he was forcing it early. it seemed Jacque gave him the green light to buck the system and play Maclean-esque. trying to spring him on long passes. big buff seemed to have something to prove as well and was actually outplaying Ilya in the begining. but in the end it was kovalchuck digging in the corners and crashing the net that was the difference. (BTW anyone who says Kovy can't cycle or control the boards deep is mistaken) anyway its actually good to see JL tinkering with kovy formulas and attempting to extract every bit of his potential

Also good to see we went back to the drawing board on the 5-3 PP. those practices paid off

The kids are fun, the 4th lines are fun, BUT, its time for a few to step up now and put the puck into the net. we need a new NHL scorer or 2 on this team

Salmela is still a bit scary in high pressure situations behind the net, however he's actually a very good skater. green has played very good. faynes game swings radically

Marty was out of the crease, does that matter though?

Edited by EdgeControl

+1, I agree. The counter argument is, if you actually look at the scores between playoff bound teams in the EC, you will notice, every single game is a 1 goal victory. If Thrashers, scored 3, devils would ramp it up and score 4. It just seems that teams are playing to get a lead and then sit there. The Sens beat us and the Lightnings because they are playing for pride and fearless hockey. In the beginning we played fearless hockey and see the run we got into (more like mess as they have me biting my nails at times ... lol). Its just that when the guys realized playoffs, they went into this bunker mentality. Still, I agree we should get back to playing the way we were, we scored more, were more aggressive and always kept our feet moving thinking offense. I thought the Devils were more aggressive in the first, hopefully they regain that magic in the next couple of games.The devils, I feel, are still in their dip and their play in the first period seemed like the first concerted effort to get out of it as I felt they tried hard to score.

Yes, recently it does seem like the Devs are so focused on playing D that they don't attack as much. Maybe they are starting to tighten up because the pressure is finally getting to them? Or maybe they're just getting tired? Or maybe Jacques is falling back into his all-defense/no-offense mode? Any of those possibilities are plausible. However, they did pull it off in the end last night.

It's still a longshot to get in, so keeping all fingers crossed...

Strange game from Kovy last night, he was forcing it early. it seemed Jacque gave him the green light to buck the system and play Maclean-esque. trying to spring him on long passes. big buff seemed to have something to prove as well and was actually outplaying Ilya in the begining. but in the end it was kovalchuck digging in the corners and crashing the net that was the difference. (BTW anyone who says Kovy can't cycle or control the boards deep is mistaken) anyway its actually good to see JL tinkering with kovy formulas and attempting to extract every bit of his potential

Also good to see we went back to the drawing board on the 5-3 PP. those practices paid off

The kids are fun, the 4th lines are fun, BUT, its time for a few to step up now and put the puck into the net. we need a new NHL scorer or 2 on this team

Salmela is still a bit scary in high pressure situations behind the net, however he's actually a very good skater. green has played very good. faynes game swings radically

Marty was out of the crease, does that matter though?

I was thinking the same thing. I'd actually throw Rolston in the group with Elias and Kovy. He's been impressive both offensively and defensively lately. But we need the kids to step up and show their stuff. Napalm is playing on the top line. Put the points up kid. They're definitely playing their hearts out. That's for sure. But eventually Rollie, Kovy, and Patty will run out of gas. The kids need to show that they too are dangerous, and each one has the skill to be 30 goal scorers in this league. The kids on defense have been solid as well.