SHAKY MARTY MAY BE HURT

Rock

SHAKY MARTY MAY BE HURT

http://www.nypost.com/sports/devils/15806.htm

By MARK (N)Єverson

February 18, 2004 --

Devils 4 Wild 4

These are scary times for the Devils. They don't know if Scott Stevens will be back, and now Martin Brodeur looks mortal.

Smoothness is missing from the Vezina Trophy holder's game. Saves that would be routine and automatic for him have become adventures. Brodeur doesn't seem to be playing naturally, and that bodes ill for the Devils.

He has allowed an uncharacteristic 18 goals in his last six games, after averaging fewer than two per game. Last night's 4-4 tie with the Wild at the Meadowlands was another of these nights when Brodeur just hasn't seemed his usual self.

The focus afterward was on the goal he gave up to Sergei Zholtok, who picked off Brodeur's clearing attempt up the left boards and shot it into the vacated net. It was a duplicate of one scored Saturday by Carolina's Jeff O'Neill.

"When I make mistakes, they're magnified when you make them twice in three games," Brodeur said after receiving unspecified training-room treatment, adding to the suspicion that he is playing hurt.

But it's the deliberate, almost forced manner in which he handles shots that raises such injury suspicion.

(Hmm the New York Post and rumors.) :evil:

"The ones they got on him tonight besides [Zholtok's], there's not much you can do," Devil coach Pat Burns said in Brodeur's defense.

The mistakes made for a surprisingly entertaining evening, Marian Gaborik notching a hat trick on Brodeur while Brian Gionta scored twice - the second with 6:27 remaining in regulation to give the Devils the tie.

Minny backup Manny Fernandez played, possibly as a showcase for the Rangers.

Eric Rasmussen put the Devils in front at 15:53 of the first with his fourth after Mike Rupp bulled his way onto the puck at the end boards and found Grant Marshall on right wing for the relay in front.

Gaborik tied the game 2:02 into the second with his first of the night, set up coming down the slot by Alexandre Daigle, who stole the puck from Sean Brown behind Brodeur's net.

Rookie defenseman Paul Martin reprised his overtime winner Sunday against Los Angeles by putting the Devils back in front at 5:28 of the second.

That lead lasted 1:10 seconds until Brodeur failed in his clearing attempt. Brodeur shot the puck to his left, off the boards, straight to Zholtok, who fired his 13th into the open net before Brodeur regained position.

The Devils took their third lead when Gionta was credited with his first of the evening at 10:06. Tackled by Andrei Zyuzin as he drove for Jeff Friesen's pass to the left doorstep, the puck went in off Gionta's skate, and the goal was upheld after video review.

He didn't look injured to me. The one goal was a fluke giveaway, one was a screen/faceoff win...I don't really remember the other two but I do remember him making sprawling saves and not looking any worse for the wear. I don't buy him being injured. However i wouldn't mind seeing him getting a night off against the caps. Give another chance to see if Clemmenson can really handle the backup duty with Schwab injured.

(N)Єverson later added, "Jesus Christ was also sighted just outside New York City. It was believed to be associated with the 2nd coming. More at 11."

LOL. Are you sure it wasn't just Danton's agent in a long robe & slippers?

:rofl:

Well I said enough about sitting Marty last night :D

as for showcasing Fernandez he's proabably right.. the week after they named

Rolosson the starter and they play the guy with a month before the deadline....

well that so obvious even Neverson got it right !!!

I agree, Brodeur deserves a rest, and I bet Clemmensen can handle the job against some of these mediocre teams and bad teams like the Caps....Clemmy will be the backup next year anyways, if we can re-sign him, I dont see Schwab comin back, and I see Ahonen being dealt one of these days.

Brodeur needs a rest because he's had two stickhandling gaffes!? What about all those great saves he made? The Wild were about to take over the game if it wasn't for Brodeur. Yup, that's a sure sign of a tired goaltender. :rolleyes:

He has back-to-back games this last weekend, he played last night and he has back-to-back games this weekend.

They can't rest him against the Caps on Thursday?

This has NOTHING to do with the 2 silly goals. It has to do w/the schedule.

Brodeur needs a rest because he's had two stickhandling gaffes!?  What about all those great saves he made?  The Wild were about to take over the game if it wasn't for Brodeur.  Yup, that's a sure sign of a tired goaltender.  :rolleyes:

it's not just the stick plays.. it's the near misses.. the post shots (the post made

more good stops in the first period then he did)... the AWFUL first goal against the

Kings...the missing a step on his angles.. and not to mention 6 games in 9 days is

too much for ANY goalie.. maybe it's just a goalie thing other goalies pick up on

... anyone else with me ???

:unsure:

*edit*

wow I guess they were :D

Edited by CRASHER

Sorry all, I took what (N)Єverson wrote and my brain interpreted it to everyone posting Marty needs rest because his stickhandling goofs. My bad! :unsure:

If you check one of the other articles I posted this morning, it said Burns was considering starting Clemmenson against Washington.

Again sorry all.

Brodeur needs a rest because he's had two stickhandling gaffes!?  What about all those great saves he made?  The Wild were about to take over the game if it wasn't for Brodeur.  Yup, that's a sure sign of a tired goaltender.  :rolleyes:

It's not just the misplays that led to goals Rock. Brodeur has been up-and-down for a while. The goal he gave up to Rosa was crap. And he played that weak deflection in a "deliberate manner." The Poti goal was another one he just missed. There was also the Pitkanen one in Philly. Similar type of shot with no traffic.

Even the Gaborik hat trick goal was questionable. It came off a good setup. But when you look at where the shot went, how did it get through? There was hardly any room and Brodeur was stationed in the right place. Unless it deflected off White, it shouldn't have gone through.

I don't think Brodeur is hurt like (N)Єverson implies. But probably tired. That's how it looks.

Brodeur needs a rest because he's had two stickhandling gaffes!? What about all those great saves he made? The Wild were about to take over the game if it wasn't for Brodeur. Yup, that's a sure sign of a tired goaltender. :rolleyes:

It's not just the puckhandling gaffes; Marty's given up EIGHTEEN goals in six games...it's really time for him to sit I don't care if they have to dust off Terreri and play HIM :P